Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb summon crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doh! From the reddit post "There were minor scrapes to my front fascia but most of the damage was to the Range Rover, which had a cracked grille/front left light and punctured the radiator fluid line." That's going to be many kilobucks in combined repairs to both vehicles.

Could be, but from briefly skimming some of his posts at sexdrugsnrocknroll (u/sexdrugsnrocknroll) - Reddit, seems like the OP of that thread is a legit Tesla driver.

Good to know. I was being a bit flip with the FUD hypothesis. As I said originally, this is pretty much how I would expect Summon to behave. Even if it uses ultrasonics (which does make it kind of surprising in a way) people really place far too much trust in such a thing. I personally just assume every time I use Summon or Smart Summon (which is never) that it will hit something, so it does not surprise me to see this playing out according to expectations IRL.

Reactions: DanCar
Supposedly there's been issues with visual objects being detected in the front corners on recent firmwares. I'm on 2020.4.1 and when I'm at a stoplight, cars in adjacent lanes slightly in front me won't show on the IC. Still doesn't explain why ultrasonics didn't pick it up, unless the response time was too low. It really whipped around that turn.

I doubt it's FUD. The full stopping, jerkiness and turn signal use is pretty clear signature of Smart Summon.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Summon is still "barely" a party trick and if that video is real it doesn't actually qualify as a party trick...those are usually pretty impressive or funny....that was neither. I am just amazed that people are still using Smart Summon, as it is, when ANY reasonably healthy person could walk to their car and be on their way 100X faster....Why oh WHY does anyone use it? (for those with real physical disabilities tho I do belief it "could" be life changing)

Summon is still "barely" a party trick and if that video is real it doesn't actually qualify as a party trick...those are usually pretty impressive or funny....that was neither. I am just amazed that people are still using Smart Summon, as it is, when ANY reasonably healthy person could walk to their car and be on their way 100X faster....Why oh WHY does anyone use it? (for those with real physical disabilities tho I do belief it "could" be life changing)

I use it in the rain, because being rained upon is for peasants.

I’ve noticed autopilot isn’t great dealing with turns and accurately positioning stationary objects.

Perhaps the fact it was turning pretty sharply at the time was a problem.

Probably the biggest problem here though was the route summon was taking? Probably should have stopped it when it started to turn.