Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb summon crash

Daniel in SD

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego
Why inexplicable? It seems like what I would expect, in general.
It probably ran right into the ultrasonic sensor! Isn't there a theory that Smart Summon only uses ultrasonics?
I wonder if Smart Summon has actually gotten worse since release. One way to make it safer is to make no one want to use it. That's my conspiracy theory.:D

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Doh! From the reddit post "There were minor scrapes to my front fascia but most of the damage was to the Range Rover, which had a cracked grille/front left light and punctured the radiator fluid line." That's going to be many kilobucks in combined repairs to both vehicles.

Daniel in SD

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego
True. That is hard to explain. Maybe the guy was actually just driving the car and is spreading that dreaded FUD.

FSD next month?
Maybe they’re actually using neural nets to drive the car now. Software 2.0! Smart Summon is like a baby learning to crawl. It also may be learning to see too...

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Could be, but from briefly skimming some of his posts at sexdrugsnrocknroll (u/sexdrugsnrocknroll) - Reddit, seems like the OP of that thread is a legit Tesla driver.

Good to know. I was being a bit flip with the FUD hypothesis. As I said originally, this is pretty much how I would expect Summon to behave. Even if it uses ultrasonics (which does make it kind of surprising in a way) people really place far too much trust in such a thing. I personally just assume every time I use Summon or Smart Summon (which is never) that it will hit something, so it does not surprise me to see this playing out according to expectations IRL.

Reactions: DanCar

mt09

Dec 11, 2018
IL
Supposedly there's been issues with visual objects being detected in the front corners on recent firmwares. I'm on 2020.4.1 and when I'm at a stoplight, cars in adjacent lanes slightly in front me won't show on the IC. Still doesn't explain why ultrasonics didn't pick it up, unless the response time was too low. It really whipped around that turn.

I doubt it's FUD. The full stopping, jerkiness and turn signal use is pretty clear signature of Smart Summon.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19” OD-1/1/21 RN#1143376 DD 9/4 11am
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Summon is still "barely" a party trick and if that video is real it doesn't actually qualify as a party trick...those are usually pretty impressive or funny....that was neither. I am just amazed that people are still using Smart Summon, as it is, when ANY reasonably healthy person could walk to their car and be on their way 100X faster....Why oh WHY does anyone use it? (for those with real physical disabilities tho I do belief it "could" be life changing)

run-the-joules

Turgid Member
Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
Summon is still "barely" a party trick and if that video is real it doesn't actually qualify as a party trick...those are usually pretty impressive or funny....that was neither. I am just amazed that people are still using Smart Summon, as it is, when ANY reasonably healthy person could walk to their car and be on their way 100X faster....Why oh WHY does anyone use it? (for those with real physical disabilities tho I do belief it "could" be life changing)

I use it in the rain, because being rained upon is for peasants.

ramonneke

Apr 26, 2018
Rotterdam
What is weird is that it seems to accellerate. I've never seen Smart Summon drive fast. Here in EU / NL Smart Summon I think drives with 1 km/h :)

SalvorH

Dec 22, 2019
USA
I’ve noticed autopilot isn’t great dealing with turns and accurately positioning stationary objects.

Perhaps the fact it was turning pretty sharply at the time was a problem.

Probably the biggest problem here though was the route summon was taking? Probably should have stopped it when it started to turn.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC