Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dummy Sensor to resolve battery and AC issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok let's start with I have a 2013 p85 tesla model s, a few months back after using a supercharger the car had an issue. We were traveling down the road and the a/c would cut on and off intermittently throwing a "reduced power to cool batteries warning". After taking it to service and 2 days of evaluation they find that something is wrong with the a/c pressure sensor, (or so they claim). Their solution is to bypass the switch and screw in a "dummy sensor". I'm shocked and angered by this solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-02-23-34-02.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-02-23-34-02.png
    445.3 KB · Views: 106
I did a search in this forum about 6 weeks ago after experiencing something similar. Once. And it hasn't happened again.

The fix described was the same. I haven't had the fix, but if I ever get the AC not working again like that, I know what to describe to the service center.

Not following why you are shocked and angered by the solution. They removed a sensor that wasn't doing anything useful. Seems like a proper solution to me.

Ok I'm also a mechanic, I have worked on numerous a/c systems and the low pressure switch is there to ensure that if the compressor runs low on refrigerant or oil it will not burn up. Hence why in the report they say that they check the refrigerant level. Sorry if I seem cross, but if you remove a sensor that monitors things like low refrigerant and the compressor is still engaged it can potentially burn up the clutch

There is no clutch on this system. Agree that low oil could cause the compressor to have problems.

They do have the high side sensor which would also identify issues and provide the ability to disable the system if it has a leak.

Ok I'm also a mechanic, I have worked on numerous a/c systems and the low pressure switch is there to ensure that if the compressor runs low on refrigerant or oil it will not burn up. Hence why in the report they say that they check the refrigerant level. Sorry if I seem cross, but if you remove a sensor that monitors things like low refrigerant and the compressor is still engaged it can potentially burn up the clutch

The notes say they consulted with engineering and due to a software\design change engineering felt like the sensor wasn't needed. I wouldn't be concerned with that at all.

Jeff

Agreed, the key point for me was that this was a solution agreed upon with corporate/engineering, not some hotshot mechanic at the shop who specializes in duct tape and chewing gum ingenuity.

I had this issue since the beginning when I bought the car. They thought it was the sensor as well. I drove it home and it happened again. I suggest the moment it happens that you send in a 'bug report'. This was the only way they spotted my issue as they looked at it 3 times prior and all the time they were guessing the cause. Which happened to be another sensor.