TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dummy Sensor to resolve battery and AC issue

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kkosman, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Kkosman

Kkosman New Member

Ok let's start with I have a 2013 p85 tesla model s, a few months back after using a supercharger the car had an issue. We were traveling down the road and the a/c would cut on and off intermittently throwing a "reduced power to cool batteries warning". After taking it to service and 2 days of evaluation they find that something is wrong with the a/c pressure sensor, (or so they claim). Their solution is to bypass the switch and screw in a "dummy sensor". I'm shocked and angered by this solution.

Attached Files:

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I did a search in this forum about 6 weeks ago after experiencing something similar. Once. And it hasn't happened again.

The fix described was the same. I haven't had the fix, but if I ever get the AC not working again like that, I know what to describe to the service center.

Not following why you are shocked and angered by the solution. They removed a sensor that wasn't doing anything useful. Seems like a proper solution to me.

3. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

YES! IT'S CALLED CAP LOCK.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

Editing the title to include a brief description of the problem would increase efficiency and responses, and would be more polite.

5. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I'm a geek, it the letter makes sense to me. They changed their software, so that part isn't used any more, and I bet doesn't exist on new cars.

6. Kkosman

Kkosman New Member

Ok I'm also a mechanic, I have worked on numerous a/c systems and the low pressure switch is there to ensure that if the compressor runs low on refrigerant or oil it will not burn up. Hence why in the report they say that they check the refrigerant level. Sorry if I seem cross, but if you remove a sensor that monitors things like low refrigerant and the compressor is still engaged it can potentially burn up the clutch

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

The notes say they consulted with engineering and due to a software\design change engineering felt like the sensor wasn't needed. I wouldn't be concerned with that at all.

Jeff

8. brkaus

brkaus Member

There is no clutch on this system. Agree that low oil could cause the compressor to have problems.

They do have the high side sensor which would also identify issues and provide the ability to disable the system if it has a leak.

9. chillaban

chillaban Member

Agreed, the key point for me was that this was a solution agreed upon with corporate/engineering, not some hotshot mechanic at the shop who specializes in duct tape and chewing gum ingenuity.

10. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Pfft! Now that the thread title has changed, my post isn't funny anymore. :(

11. RatRace

RatRace Member

I had this issue since the beginning when I bought the car. They thought it was the sensor as well. I drove it home and it happened again. I suggest the moment it happens that you send in a 'bug report'. This was the only way they spotted my issue as they looked at it 3 times prior and all the time they were guessing the cause. Which happened to be another sensor.

12. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

My experience with vehicles is that it's always a "sensor" that seems to go bad and not the piece of equipment the sensor is actually monitoring! ;)