Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumping Excess Power During Peak Period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to export the "Energy Usage" numbers (Sub menu from Power Flow)?

This area, displays the "Home Usage", Solar Energy (totals), From Grid, and From PowerWall (supplied to house during peak period when configured for Cost Savings). What I don't see is how much solar power is used to recharge the PowerWalls. Is there a way to display this value? I'm attempting to determine if the "Energy Usage" numbers are accurate and can be relied upon.

Is there any way to export the "Energy Usage" numbers (Sub menu from Power Flow)?

This area, displays the "Home Usage", Solar Energy (totals), From Grid, and From PowerWall (supplied to house during peak period when configured for Cost Savings). What I don't see is how much solar power is used to recharge the PowerWalls. Is there a way to display this value? I'm attempting to determine if the "Energy Usage" numbers are accurate and can be relied upon.

There is a known bug in the way it displays the numbers for solar. They are about 50% of what it should be. I was told, but have not verified, that the csv data you can download is correct.

How do you download the data? The app, or from somewhere else? Thanks
The app (power flow -> energy usage (stats icon on top right)) when you scroll down has a download my data button, which allows you to share it in different ways (airdrop, email, messages, ...), I just airdrop it to my Mac and it arrives as a csv file. However data granularity depends on what report you looked at on your phone, which means you probably have to do this every day if you want all the data.

Maybe somebody wrote a server side service that does this through the api automatically instead of using the app on the phone ?

The app (power flow -> energy usage (stats icon on top right)) when you scroll down has a download my data button, which allows you to share it in different ways (airdrop, email, messages, ...), I just airdrop it to my Mac and it arrives as a csv file. However data granularity depends on what report you looked at on your phone, which means you probably have to do this every day if you want all the data.

Maybe somebody wrote a server side service that does this through the api automatically instead of using the app on the phone ?
Thanks - That should work for what I want at this time - Just trying to see if numbers match up with our utility usage reports, utility meter and inverter logs. Can you change the granularity?

I don't have the link handy but if you search you should be able to find it.

From what I understand the gateway does not save historical data like Tesla does which shows in the app. So you would have to poll the gateway via the API at whatever period of granularity you wanted and of course save the data.

The app (power flow -> energy usage (stats icon on top right)) when you scroll down has a download my data button, which allows you to share it in different ways (airdrop, email, messages, ...)
I have looked at the data, and the PowerWall is not providing power during the 11:30-12:00 timeframe even though I have it set to peak period from 4:00 - 12:00. Is this a known issue, or config problem on my end?

upload_2020-4-26_16-27-23.jpeg

I have looked at the data, and the PowerWall is not providing power during the 11:30-12:00 timeframe even though I have it set to peak period from 4:00 - 12:00. Is this a known issue, or config problem on my end?

View attachment 536198

Is it possible by 2330 (11:30pm) the powerwall has exhausted it's capacity, or hit the upper limit of minimum reserve for power outages.

Should be able to satisfy the house demands with 29 KWh left in the PWs, and reserve set for 20%. Running with 3 PWs.

OK.

FWIW, I have also seen my system pulling from the grid periodically even when there is plenty of reserve in the PWs. Not sure if it is a "feature" of the system. It seems to do this for a minutes or and then go back to powerwall. It will put a small amount from the grid (<1 kW) for a minute or so and stop. Almost as if it is polling the grid.

Should be able to satisfy the house demands with 29 KWh left in the PWs, and reserve set for 20%. Running with 3 PWs.
I wonder if you got caught in the same sliding week long analysis thing I had recently? If you make a change or consumption happens it seems like it needs some time to catch up to the "new normal".

Any recent major consumption, weather or settings changes?

OK.

FWIW, I have also seen my system pulling from the grid periodically even when there is plenty of reserve in the PWs. Not sure if it is a "feature" of the system. It seems to do this for a minutes or and then go back to powerwall. It will put a small amount from the grid (<1 kW) for a minute or so and stop. Almost as if it is polling the grid.
Understand there could be a minute here or there, but the grid is fully supplying the house load for each of the 5 minute sub period during 11:30-12:00 timeframe. This has been repeatable over multiple days - attached image is portion of the data dump for the 25th.

Energy Usage PW.jpeg

I wonder if you got caught in the same sliding week long analysis thing I had recently? If you make a change or consumption happens it seems like it needs some time to catch up to the "new normal".

Any recent major consumption, weather or settings changes?
The consumption level and production have been within 5 KWh over the last few days. Weather had been fairly consistent outside (within 10 degrees outside, and less that 5l degree variance in the garage where the PWs reside.
I changed the Price Schedule in "Cost Saving" a couple days ago. I would think those changes would happen right away. When I first played with these time periods, they took affect immediately - for example, during real time, I set the peak period to include the current time, and PowerWall took over the load. Then, moved the peak period window to be after the current time, and grid provided the house load. Didn't repeat this process any more, but for the "test" there was a pretty quick response to the changes.
I did have trouble setting the peak period to extend past 11:30 pm, but finally got it by setting it from 4pm until 2 am, then backed off the end time back to 12:00. I never understood why it wouldn't let me adjust past 11:30 to the 12:00 directly, but attributed to an interface issue, once I was able to overshoot, and return back to midnight.

Understand there could be a minute here or there, but the grid is fully supplying the house load for each of the 5 minute sub period during 11:30-12:00 timeframe. This has been repeatable over multiple days - attached image is portion of the data dump for the 25th.

View attachment 536407 .

Interesting. What happens if you shift the time windows in the app by playing with the sliders? Say set it to 0030 (1230 AM). Wait 5 minutes or so, then reset it to 0005 (1205 AM). Looks like something is stuck at 2330. Updating the values may overwrite the 2330 with the correct time.

I changed the Price Schedule in "Cost Saving" a couple days ago. I would think those changes would happen right away. When I first played with these time periods, they took affect immediately - for example, during real time, I set the peak period to include the current time, and PowerWall took over the load. Then, moved the peak period window to be after the current time, and grid provided the house load. Didn't repeat this process any more, but for the "test" there was a pretty quick response to the changes.
Well they admitted that from the server side (what they use to determine how the PWs are charged/discharged), they refine it over a weeks period. Not sure how/if that would affect this.
I did have trouble setting the peak period to extend past 11:30 pm, but finally got it by setting it from 4pm until 2 am, then backed off the end time back to 12:00. I never understood why it wouldn't let me adjust past 11:30 to the 12:00 directly, but attributed to an interface issue, once I was able to overshoot, and return back to midnight.
This is a potential area of concern. I know from experience you cannot move it past 11:30pm (your witching hour) and while you may have found a hack to get around this, I suspect your hack may in fact be your problem.

Well they admitted that from the server side (what they use to determine how the PWs are charged/discharged), they refine it over a weeks period. Not sure how/if that would affect this.

This is a potential area of concern. I know from experience you cannot move it past 11:30pm (your witching hour) and while you may have found a hack to get around this, I suspect your hack may in fact be your problem.
Seems like an undesirable limitation to limit moving past 11:30 pm. Is this a documented thing, or observation?

Seems like an undesirable limitation to limit moving past 11:30 pm. Is this a documented thing, or observation?
Observation.

It actually works OK if the period spans midnight as you adjust the next day this way. The fuzzy area seems to be this 11:30 to midnight gray zone.

I have no idea why they did that vs going all the way to midnight.