Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumping ICE for EV maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello its my first post
I live on Anglesey the most northerly point, near the wylfa power station how ironic, I currently drive a vw golf 1.6 tdi and i do like it , however its 7 years old and 100,000 k on the clock with no real issues, im really thinking of going electric but im torn between Hyundai kona 64kw , however in reality I’d prefer the model 3 as it’s beautiful but I’d want everyone on it which will push the price towards the mid £50k , Ive never sat in a tesla so i can not really understand the admiration these Tesla’s have so if anyone local willing to let me sit in one I would be very grateful, however im out in the sticks so a visit to chester tesla might be on the cards
Kevin0

We have been on the Model 3 waiting list a very long time. While waiting we finally decided in Apr 2017 to go ahead and get a Model S, which was delivered May 16, 2017. We got an Inventory car, so have Free Unlimited Supercharger for life of vehicle. We had over 10,000 miles in the first month, including a Coast to Coast trip. Over 15,000 miles in 3 months. At 13.5 months we hit 30,000 miles.

At home all charging is in our garage. The big mileage is on the road on Superchargers. We LOVE this car. No regrets. Now we are still waiting on the interior seat options my wife wants on the 3. No black, no white. She wants the cream, same as the headliner, and what is in our S.

The reason my wife wants the 3 is that it is smaller, and therefore less likely to have side scrapes from parking at the Parking Garage at work. In the 3.5 years we had our Nissan Leaf she was hit 5 times, and of course, no one left a note so we had to pay the $500 deductible each time, plus use of the car for a week or two. No way will she take a larger Model S to work and have it damaged.

If that were not the case, instead of paying $60,000 to $80,000 for a nicely configured Model 3, I would be looking for a used Model S, color and options what she wants, that includes the Unlimited for Life Supercharging. They can be found for less than you pay for a Model 3, and much more comfortable (and cheaper to take on long trips with free Supercharging).

The point of this post is: If you want the smaller vehicle, get the 3. If you are okay with the size of the S, then get a used one for less than a new 3, or pay the extra and get a new Model S.

Side note, someone I know got their first Tesla in 2012. In 2015 they traded it in for a new one, fully loaded. They took a big hit on the trade-in value but wanted a new one. I told them that when they are ready to trade-in the 2015 for a 2018 (which they were planning to do) to let me know. They would sell it to me for the amount of trade-in Tesla would give them. Well, since then we got our own Model S, but were thinking of still getting this one, either for one of our grown kids, or even have a 2-Model S household. However, as stated above, my wife is afraid to take the Model S to her work parking garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjcbox and IdaX
We have been on the Model 3 waiting list a very long time. While waiting we finally decided in Apr 2017 to go ahead and get a Model S, which was delivered May 16, 2017. We got an Inventory car, so have Free Unlimited Supercharger for life of vehicle. We had over 10,000 miles in the first month, including a Coast to Coast trip. Over 15,000 miles in 3 months. At 13.5 months we hit 30,000 miles.

At home all charging is in our garage. The big mileage is on the road on Superchargers. We LOVE this car. No regrets. Now we are still waiting on the interior seat options my wife wants on the 3. No black, no white. She wants the cream, same as the headliner, and what is in our S.

The reason my wife wants the 3 is that it is smaller, and therefore less likely to have side scrapes from parking at the Parking Garage at work. In the 3.5 years we had our Nissan Leaf she was hit 5 times, and of course, no one left a note so we had to pay the $500 deductible each time, plus use of the car for a week or two. No way will she take a larger Model S to work and have it damaged.

If that were not the case, instead of paying $60,000 to $80,000 for a nicely configured Model 3, I would be looking for a used Model S, color and options what she wants, that includes the Unlimited for Life Supercharging. They can be found for less than you pay for a Model 3, and much more comfortable (and cheaper to take on long trips with free Supercharging).

The point of this post is: If you want the smaller vehicle, get the 3. If you are okay with the size of the S, then get a used one for less than a new 3, or pay the extra and get a new Model S.

Side note, someone I know got their first Tesla in 2012. In 2015 they traded it in for a new one, fully loaded. They took a big hit on the trade-in value but wanted a new one. I told them that when they are ready to trade-in the 2015 for a 2018 (which they were planning to do) to let me know. They would sell it to me for the amount of trade-in Tesla would give them. Well, since then we got our own Model S, but were thinking of still getting this one, either for one of our grown kids, or even have a 2-Model S household. However, as stated above, my wife is afraid to take the Model S to her work parking garage.
It would need to be a model3 very rural and our roads are not as wide as usa , it’s probably going to be the model3