Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Duplicate contacts: iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a suspicion of the cause for this problem, but would like some confirmation: when I use a voice command to call someone in my favorites, two entries always pop up - same name, same phone number. I have to tap one in order to proceed with the call/text, but it doesn't matter which I choose because they're the same. I think the cause of the problem is that I have contacts listed in both my "contacts" group and my "favorites" group. I don't actually have duplicate entries in my phone (iPhone, btw), just have them referenced from two places. It seems like this would be fixable with a sort|uniq type filter in the car software - remove the duplicates.

Anyone else seeing this issue or have a better idea on what's causing it?

Tesla's implementation of a number of things is 'bare minimum' - It responds to only 1 in a group text, as example. It would not surprise me at all that it doesn't understand groupings in contacts and thus you do have 2 contacts for all your favs since it flattens all the lists it sees

Also, try turning off the Sync Contacts feature in the car (I think it's on the Bluetooth settings screen) for a while and then turn it back on. Maybe getting rid of any contacts cached in the car will fix the problem (or not, but worth a try).