Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Duplicate posts and what I did when it happened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently experienced a duplicate post and asked the mods to delete it. I was asked by mod @bmah to write how it happened, as he told me they had experienced more of these than usual lately. I’m writing this post here as I don’t have PM privileges.

Here is what happened when I experienced the duplicate post:
  1. I tried to reply to a post, but didn’t realize that I was not logged in.
  2. I clicked the Post button and was asked to log in.
  3. I logged in and could write my reply and post it successfully. No duplicate.
  4. I logged in from a different device the next day, and immediately upon login I received a new notification that my post had been successful.
  5. I clicked on the notification and saw that another post like the one I made in step 3 had been automatically posted again, but with the current timestamp.

Reactions: bmah
I recently experienced a duplicate post and asked the mods to delete it. I was asked by mod @bmah to write how it happened, as he told me they had experienced more of these than usual lately. I’m writing this post here as I don’t have PM privileges.

4. I logged in from a different device the next day, and immediately upon login I received a new notification that my post had been successful.
  5. I clicked on the notification and saw that another post like the one I made in step 3 had been automatically posted again, but with the current timestamp.

Thanks for taking the time to post this!

It feels like we get a couple duplicate posts a day now, which subjectively just feels like more than we used to get at some indefinite point in the past. And other than the fact that TMC membership is growing (so hence more opportunities for this to happen) nobody so far has been able to come up with an explanation.

Bruce.

Thanks for reporting this. Can you please specify devices, operating systems, browsers, etc., that you used? Also if you are using the TMC native app?

No problem, guys.

For steps 1-3, I was using Chrome 104.0.5112.88 for iPad (7th gen) on iOS 15.6.

Steps 4 and 5 was on the Vivaldi 5.4 browser (a Chromium fork) on an up-to-date Windows 10 64-bit.

If I may speculate, and you might have though about it already, is that it could be that the Post call was queued up to trigger when I logged in the first time, but didn’t actually trigger until the subsequent login.