Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Durability of generic Carbon Fiber spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched the video on RPMTesla’s site for the install. They show it being installed flush with the back edge (at the center) of the trunk. Is that the right spot? Is swear the factory position is like 0.5 to 1 inch forward of the edge.

I need to drive over it the SC and look at a factory install, but can anyone confirm? I’m planning to order and want the factory look.

I have had two of the China manufactured ones you find on Amazon. No problem with things like road debris or weird cracking or discoloration in the sun. There is a seam at the trailing edge of the spoiler that can be a weak point. I was in a parking garage with some overhead pipes and opened my trunk into one. The spoiler was impacted right at the seam and it caused a fracture there.

• Informative
Reactions: Shiro
I watched the video on RPMTesla’s site for the install. They show it being installed flush with the back edge (at the center) of the trunk. Is that the right spot? Is swear the factory position is like 0.5 to 1 inch forward of the edge.

I need to drive over it the SC and look at a factory install, but can anyone confirm? I’m planning to order and want the factory look.

Don't get thrown off by the contour of the hatch where it meets the lights. It appears an inch or so forward of that, but flush with the lid edge. Here's the official pic from their site

I ordered the gloss black one from JCSportline and should have it this week. I'll update with the results.

• Helpful
Reactions: ArbitrageMan

This is how the factory spoiler is positioned on my vehicle.

IMG_20180611_143843.jpg

I just received by glossy carbon fiber spoiler from JC Sportline, but it arrived with no adhesive tape on the spoiler or any additional installation tape...contacted them...awaiting for reply - anyone else had same issue? Odd...

What's going to happen? Carbon fiber is sort of overkill for a spoiler. Can't imagine that the wind pressures would do any damage, unless you buy a total piece of junk with inadequate resin.

My concern was more with the quality of the clearcoat and the durability at the trailing edge seam. I've had the amazon spoiler on my car for almost a year now and it's holding up well. My car is garaged and doesn't sit parked all day out in the sun FWIW.

I had just installed the JC Sportline spoiler on my car it came with tape pre installed and there was a roll of extra tape (like 10+ feet of tape) I lined it up with the back edge of the trunk and centered it on the trunk. I think it looks good, but from a quality stand point no one will mistake it for the OEM one. However, I still like it and its not bad for $200, its definitely a good value considering the Tesla one is $1,500.