TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Durham, NC Southpoint Store!

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by favo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Just noticed the Careers page is now showing a store location for Durham, NC at Southpoint (presumably the mall or nearby). Only a few miles from my house. Can't wait to get a test drive. :love:

2. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Just saw this. OMG, yes!

3. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I'm going to Southpoint this evening. Does anyone know where the store will be located? I can take a look to see if they started work on it.

4. voidptr

voidptr Member

5. favo

Apparently they have just opened a store at the current service location. Not sure if this means the Southpoint store is on hold or canceled. I'm going to check it out today.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

This is right in my backyard. I'll go check it out as soon as I have a free evening.

7. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

#7 dflye, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Was running errands this evening with a route between stops that wasn't too far from the Raleigh Service Center, which has indeed now morphed to also temporarily house the local Owner Advisor (title off his business card) until a larger more permanent space can be found. David Barnes is the gent's name, he confirmed the info on the Tesla web site has his direct number and that the silver P85 sometimes known as "The Governor's New Chariot" (or however he phrased it) is a test drive vehicle.

Chatted with him a bit about other topics, like the east coast Supercharger rollout, he expects that the one north of Richmond VA should be next to open, but that they are about as much in the dark on specific dates / sequencing as we are.

While he wouldn't explicitly confirm where the real store in the RTP area will reside, as he doesn't deal with the siting / lease negotiating, he did agree that the proposed Southpoint location would have various desirable features.

The service center was absolutely jam-packed at about 6:30 PM, both with cars and technicians. Apparently they are training folks for the upcoming service center in the Charlotte area. Also they have already outgrown their 2 lift service center, and are trying to determine how to expand while remaining in the same general industrial area.

8. jandkw

jandkw Member

@dflye, thanks for the update. I had so many people (strangers) asked me about the Tesla store and I told them to check with Trevor (Service manager in Raleigh) to see if they can get the test drive. I think Southpoint is a good choice due to high traffic.

9. favo

I stopped by on Monday evening as well and talked to David and one of the techs. It sounded like in the shorter term the plan was to move Service to a larger location, leaving the current location as a Store. Then at some point in the future, a new retail location would open. Presumably, the current sales location would then close, assuming demand isn't through the roof.

I asked about the Southpoint location and he said basically there's no information they can give out, but sometimes these things get drawn out by contract negotiations, etc. I'm guessing they aren't in a huge hurry to get into a mall, since they are still production limited. As long as folks who are really interested can get test drives, I think they are good for now.

10. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

I've got my test drive setup with them on Monday. Anyone know the full configuration of the test drive vehicle(s)? Per my signature I'm looking at the black interior but I haven't seen that in person yet. I'm guessing it will be fairly decked out for the rest of the options but was curious about interior color.

11. favo

Might be silver/tan with gloss obeche, but can't remember for sure.

12. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Cool, at least I'll be able to see the gloss obeche in a car. I'll find out on Monday :)