Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

During a recent service battery swap received an A pack???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the difference between a B pack and a D pack?

Nobody in the public know for now... Maybe 135kW or more Supercharging but its not enabled in the firmware, D packs charges at 120kW right now.

I even asked a SC mechanic (that works for Tesla since the beginning) and he never heard of D pack... He only knew A vs B.

From the battery table wiki: Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

attachment.php?attachmentid=41358&d=1390226905.jpg

Existence of 85 kWh A, B, D batteries has been known for many moons. For those interested, look at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showwiki.php?title=Battery+table
It appears D batteries began shipping sometime around late summer 2013, and I'm guessing are still the standard OEM battery on new cars delivered.
While the differences in capabilities between A and B packs are well documented in this forum (alas, I am an A pack owner), I am not aware of any evidence that D batteries have different capabilities than B.
Of course, we may end up finding some difference, for example (this is JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION, NOT FACTUAL!) let's say D's can supercharge at 135 kW while B's are limited to 120. If/when that happens, then a whole lot more people will get to join the A pack "battery envy" club.

D packs should be capable of ~160 kW charging. Reason is that there was a report of a new S60 charging at 111 kW, higher than was previously thought possible. If they are the same cells that comprise the 85 kW battery, then that means 1.85 C rate can be handled.

Similarly, we can derive the max C rate for B packs. Older 60s charged at 105 kW or 1.75 C. That means that 85 kW B packs can take up to ~150 kW. The Bs won't be joining the A pack angst thread anytime soon. At any rate, I would take a B any day over my A pack even if it meant that I'd be limited to 120.