Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dust Behind Instrument Cluster (Cleaning?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New member here. I just took delivery of a 2022 Model S Plaid a couple of days ago and I have a question I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with.

I've just noticed there is a noticeable amount of dust and particles behind the glass of the instrument panel...

Has anybody else experienced this?
Is there any way to clean behind the glass without specialized tools, professional assistance, or taking it to a service center?
Should that area even be accessible to the air (e.g. bad assembly)?
If there is any access to it, where would it be? I may try and spray some compressed air but it looks sealed on first inspection.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

I recall a few people finding it upon taking delivery. I do not suggest taking it apart yourself - unless you are OK tinkering and OK putting it back together. Take it back to Tesla and have them fix it.

It should not be accessible to the air particles on daily use. It was likely captured during installation and assembly.

Upvote 0
Thanks @cwanja! I'll probably enjoy it for a few more days before I turn it into the service center to clean it - @drunkenbuda I'll let you know what the outcome is.
I really wouldn’t do that. They’ll probably put smudges behind there or worse. They all have dust particles behind the plastic. You won’t see it unless the sun shines directly on it. Just let it go - trust me on this.

Upvote 0
Watch Munro Live on YouTube. Their instrument panel episode shows that the section between the screen and the clear cover is actually ventilated. This certainly would introduce small particles over time.
If those particles can be removed is questionable. I wonder if there is a local filter element in that vent to capture any dust particles?

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0
Hi all,

New member here. I just took delivery of a 2022 Model S Plaid a couple of days ago and I have a question I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with.

I've just noticed there is a noticeable amount of dust and particles behind the glass of the instrument panel...

Has anybody else experienced this?
Is there any way to clean behind the glass without specialized tools, professional assistance, or taking it to a service center?
Should that area even be accessible to the air (e.g. bad assembly)?
If there is any access to it, where would it be? I may try and spray some compressed air but it looks sealed on first inspection.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
My 2022 Model X (same instrument panel) had this and the SC replaced the entire screen. In doing so they damaged a few dash pieces which now will be replaced. Was it worth getting it fixed? If this next appointment goes well, yes. The dust in my case was very obvious and annoying so happy that is fixed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! @SWSPB Funny enough I actually started combing Munro's videos and ran into this the other day...the flip side is that it gave me a way to blow some compressed air in to move some of the particulate, the downside as you mentioned is that it is ventilated and that it will certainly accumulate more over time.

Reactions: SWSPB
Upvote 0
@Arktctr when you mention ‘damaged a few dash pieces’ which will now be replaced.

Are we talking scratched silver bezel pieces during repair which I’ve experienced and overlooked or worse

Worse (I think)…they are replacing the white vinyl dash piece that goes under the main screen due to a scratch, they replaced the secondary PRDN below the wireless chargers due to scratches, they replaced a scratched main center screen and will also be replacing the main defroster/speaker grill near the windshield as they bent it while removing it.

Attachments

• 3EE881EA-5CCD-41CD-8064-F1DCD606F530.jpeg
    3EE881EA-5CCD-41CD-8064-F1DCD606F530.jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 9B93FC8E-8A61-460F-ABDC-02E13F48E8D2.jpeg
    9B93FC8E-8A61-460F-ABDC-02E13F48E8D2.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 93D1DF1C-F4B8-43C7-ADAB-BC200AECF4D2.jpeg
    93D1DF1C-F4B8-43C7-ADAB-BC200AECF4D2.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
Wow smh thanks for the pics. I let scratches in the silver bezel trim go in various spots which was overshadowed by much larger issues that needed to be resolved in my last service visit.

Pretty annoyed over a hole slightly larger than say a large pin would make but noticeable on the leather steering wheel and another scratch in the leather steering wheel that is not noticeable on the back of the wheel but I feel it with my hand and hopefully doesn’t get worse in time.

These examples of shoddy work is why it will be my first and last Tesla.

Upvote 0
Here are a couple of pics of the incurred damage as a result of ‘service’ I took about 2 months ago just after the service visit to replace the recall EMC and upgrade to LTE. My touchscreen developed bubbles from the service which I had to pay an agreed half price for the replacement which I ate to make the problem go away.

Attachments

• 5F6D63E4-E554-4115-AB67-0B981F18C8CA.jpeg
    5F6D63E4-E554-4115-AB67-0B981F18C8CA.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 051E553D-17AB-47EE-90F6-D872DDA35370.jpeg
    051E553D-17AB-47EE-90F6-D872DDA35370.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 7BA67080-9B02-44EA-909B-9205F4C5B90F.jpeg
    7BA67080-9B02-44EA-909B-9205F4C5B90F.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 203
Upvote 0
Here are a couple of pics of the incurred damage as a result of ‘service’ I took about 2 months ago just after the service visit to replace the recall EMC and upgrade to LTE. My touchscreen developed bubbles from the service which I had to pay an agreed half price for the replacement which I ate to make the problem go away.
Tell Nina, and whatever she is trying to show us in that photo, we say hello.
screen-shot-2022-03-30-at-8-27-58-am-png.787830

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
Upvote 0
Watch Munro Live on YouTube. Their instrument panel episode shows that the section between the screen and the clear cover is actually ventilated. This certainly would introduce small particles over time.
If those particles can be removed is questionable. I wonder if there is a local filter element in that vent to capture any dust particles?
Thank you for the info. I do check the vents on the instrument cluster, it looks like there a piece of foam covering the vents on both side(far left and far right). So I am guessing it's not that easy for dust to get in. Majority of the dust is probably there before the car is delivery. It's kinda nerve scratching for me :-(

Upvote 0
My 2022 Model X (same instrument panel) had this and the SC replaced the entire screen. In doing so they damaged a few dash pieces which now will be replaced. Was it worth getting it fixed? If this next appointment goes well, yes. The dust in my case was very obvious and annoying so happy that is fixed.
Hi Arktctr, Do you happen to have the pic for you original instrument cluster dust? Wondering if mine is worth to be mentioned to SC. I am also worry SC can end up damaging other stuffs if they try to replace the entire instrument cluster assembly.

Upvote 0
Mhmm I’m glad they were able to do stuff to the car or whatever

Tell us more about that Instagram screenshot

Upvote 0
Sure do…
Here is an update on my case, filed a service ticket. Based on my description of the problem, tesla provided a solution called "Aero Lens" replacement. It sounds like they find a new way of just replacing the front crystal plastic panel instead of the entire head unit since the labor cost is only $10? Not sure exactly what they are going to do, hopefully not replace the entire head unit.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0