Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dust Behind Instrument Cluster (Cleaning?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New member here. I just took delivery of a 2022 Model S Plaid a couple of days ago and I have a question I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with.

I've just noticed there is a noticeable amount of dust and particles behind the glass of the instrument panel...

Has anybody else experienced this?
Is there any way to clean behind the glass without specialized tools, professional assistance, or taking it to a service center?
Should that area even be accessible to the air (e.g. bad assembly)?
If there is any access to it, where would it be? I may try and spray some compressed air but it looks sealed on first inspection.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Here is an update on my case, filed a service ticket. Based on my description of the problem, tesla provided a solution called "Aero Lens" replacement. It sounds like they find a new way of just replacing the front crystal plastic panel instead of the entire head unit since the labor cost is only $10? Not sure exactly what they are going to do, hopefully not replace the entire head unit.
Let us know how this goes!

Upvote 0
Here is an update on my case, filed a service ticket. Based on my description of the problem, tesla provided a solution called "Aero Lens" replacement. It sounds like they find a new way of just replacing the front crystal plastic panel instead of the entire head unit since the labor cost is only $10? Not sure exactly what they are going to do, hopefully not replace the entire head unit.
Any updates? I have the same issue.

Upvote 0
Let us know how this goes!
Any updates? I have the same issue.
OK this is my final update on my dust issue. After 3 months of waiting, I finally sent my MS LR in for instrument panel replacement. Here is what I received from my advisor later on the same day. I guess this is "STANDARD" on the refreshed MS. How can a manufacturer produces cars like this?

Also, Tesla is full of miscommunication. I had an original appointment for alignment and rattle issues scheduled on the day of pickup my car back in March(the original appointment was in April). Later on I found the dust issue therefore add more evidence to my existing service ticket. Because I did that, my appointment has been pushed many times due to instrument panel part is not available. Until recently, I told them to separate my dust appointment from other issues so I can bring in my car early to address the other issues early.(I was thinking to withdraw the instrument replacement since I read bad stories in the post about SC damaging the cars during replacement) So today's appointment is only about alignment and rattle issues. And they said I need another appointment for to replace the instrument panel. Surprisingly in the afternoon advisor told me my front dash is completely disassembled and the new panel is worse than my existing one. Why can't they just check the new panel to make sure it is good before taking everything apart? This is ridiculous. Now I am hoping they don't damage my car like they did to other people in this thread.

Attachments

• 20220624183717.jpg
    20220624183717.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: RN1153
Upvote 0
OK this is my final update on my dust issue. After 3 months of waiting, I finally sent my MS LR in for instrument panel replacement. Here is what I received from my advisor later on the same day. I guess this is "STANDARD" on the refreshed MS. How can a manufacturer produces cars like this?

Also, Tesla is full of miscommunication. I had an original appointment for alignment and rattle issues scheduled on the day of pickup my car back in March(the original appointment was in April). Later on I found the dust issue therefore add more evidence to my existing service ticket. Because I did that, my appointment has been pushed many times due to instrument panel part is not available. Until recently, I told them to separate my dust appointment from other issues so I can bring in my car early to address the other issues early.(I was thinking to withdraw the instrument replacement since I read bad stories in the post about SC damaging the cars during replacement) So today's appointment is only about alignment and rattle issues. And they said I need another appointment for to replace the instrument panel. Surprisingly in the afternoon advisor told me my front dash is completely disassembled and the new panel is worse than my existing one. Why can't they just check the new panel to make sure it is good before taking everything apart? This is ridiculous. Now I am hoping they don't damage my car like they did to other people in this thread.
It’s very unfortunate! Based on yours and others experience, I don’t think replacing the instrument panel is a good idea at this point.

Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0
I had mine in for Dead Pixel replacement but it was just dust. They managed to cleaned it and we are dust free! Yet they did messed up my interior in the process. Now I am waiting for them to fix what they broke. :rolleyes:
I didn't know they can clean the dust in between the actual screen and clear plastic piece. Do you know what they did? I might be able to do it myself.

They messed up my interior too, the gap between center screen and front dash is much bigger comparing to before. I managed to fix that myself by loosing the bolts and push in the center screen further.

Upvote 0
I didn't know they can clean the dust in between the actual screen and clear plastic piece. Do you know what they did? I might be able to do it myself.
Probably could just take a lint roller to it. When we were doing display replacements on iMacs at Apple with the glass front, we would have to roll the glass with sticky paper (similar to a lint roller) before installing the glass. Was a pain in the ass.

Upvote 0

They messed up my interior too, the gap between center screen and front dash is much bigger comparing to before. I managed to fix that myself by loosing the bolts and push in the center screen further.
I don't know what they did but my guess is that they opened it up and cleaned it because its not there. Plus they had to make sure its not a dead pixel.

Upvote 0
I don't know what they did but my guess is that they opened it up and cleaned it because its not there. Plus they had to make sure its not a dead pixel.
I have a ticket open for an actual dead pixel I believe (it lights up bright even though the background is dark). I wonder if they can fix this reasonably quickly also, not break my *sugar* like they did yours in the process. Curious what yours looked like to have been actual dust?

Upvote 0
I found a couple specks under mine when the sun is at an extreme angle, which led me to this thread. I looked up the service procedure to do it.

It's 100% not worth it.

it's one of the very first things installed on the dash board, which means that everything installed after it must be removed to get to it. Your entire dashboard is basically taken apart.

despite what people are saying, this is a sealed one piece component and there is no way to "clean" or get behind it without taking the entire dash apart.

Do not do it, not worth it.

It would be interesting to get some hands on an aero shield assembly, and see if a tiny hole can be drilled from the side to insert a tiny hose to blow the dust off with air (not canned air), then re-seal the hole with silicone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found a couple specks under mine when the sun is at an extreme angle, which led me to this thread. I looked up the service procedure to do it.

It's 100% not worth it.

it's one of the very first things installed on the dash board, which means that everything installed after it must be removed to get to it. Your entire dashboard is basically taken apart.

despite what people are saying, this is a sealed one piece component and there is no way to "clean" or get behind it without taking the entire dash apart.

Do not do it, not worth it.

It would be interesting to get some hands on an aero shield assembly, and see if a tiny hole can be drilled from the side to insert a tiny hose to blow the dust off with air (not canned air), then re-seal the hole with silicone.
My car went through that entire process and SC told me there are even more dust specs on the new aero lens, then they put my old back. 🤣

Upvote 0
My car went through that entire process and SC told me there are even more dust specs on the new aero lens, then they put my old back. 🤣
Whoever is designing interiors on the S/X are kind of whack. Why would they make it so the screen needs to be removed to replace trim pieces.

The rear tail light is even worse, the trim pieces in the back need to be fully removed to access the mounting bolts.

Upvote 0