Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dust sheet to protect Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meeseeks

Jul 15, 2021
UK
Hi all,

Owner of two Powerwall 2s in UK here. They are installed on the wall inside my garage and I’m getting building work done (converting two single garage doors into one large automatic garage door) which involves removing a central brick pillar which is going to generate a lot of brick dust! I decided I needed to cover up the Powerwall 2s to stop dust getting into the intake fan etc. I ran both down to 0%, turned both off at the switch, and turned both isolators off too - then covered with a plastic sheet and duct taped the sheet to the walls around them with a bit of room between Powerwall 2s and the sheet. Anyone think there are any issues with this? It seems the fans are off and not operating - so lack of ventilation not a major issue. It’s winter so no risk of overheating I guess too. Unfortunately Tesla Support were not helpful. All thoughts welcome! Thanks

Solution
I thought 0% on the Tesla app is still about 5% at the actual cell level - it's safe, backed by Tesla's years of experience with Car tech too.
I agree it is safe. Storing them at 0% or 5% also has more chance for degradation than being stored at 50%.
Hi all,

Owner of two Powerwall 2s in UK here. They are installed on the wall inside my garage and I’m getting building work done (converting two single garage doors into one large automatic garage door) which involves removing a central brick pillar which is going to generate a lot of brick dust! I decided I needed to cover up the Powerwall 2s to stop dust getting into the intake fan etc. I ran both down to 0%, turned both off at the switch, and turned both isolators off too - then covered with a plastic sheet and duct taped the sheet to the walls around them with a bit of room between Powerwall 2s and the sheet. Anyone think there are any issues with this? It seems the fans are off and not operating - so lack of ventilation not a major issue. It’s winter so no risk of overheating I guess too. Unfortunately Tesla Support were not helpful. All thoughts welcome! Thanks

What was the purpose of running them down to zero before doing that? Turning them off at the switch and breaker would have turned them off, and it would have been better for them to be at "some other percentage" than zero. Like, 50% would have been better.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Was putting a dust cover on top something Tesla suggested? (guessing not since you said Tesla Support was not helpful and you said "I decided"...)

The Powerwall is IP67 rated meaning its dustproof, though the wiring compartment is IP56 meaning dust resistant.

Upvote 0
Was putting a dust cover on top something Tesla suggested? (guessing not since you said Tesla Support was not helpful and you said "I decided"...)

The Powerwall is IP67 rated meaning its dustproof, though the wiring compartment is IP56 meaning dust resistant.
It’s not, I just thought with the amount of dust generated it made sense to cover them up to avoid it getting in. It’s good to know not a major issue. Thanks

Upvote 0
It’s not, I just thought with the amount of dust generated it made sense to cover them up to avoid it getting in. It’s good to know not a major issue. Thanks

I totally get why you covered them up, even if it wasnt "needed". I think you made the right choice charging them to 50%, then turning them back off. You should be good to go from here.

Upvote 0