Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DYI front PPF kits & cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done PPF for the front (bumper, fender, hood, etc...) of their MY?

I saw kits sold on eBay for $288.xx each and I am wondering whether it is hard to install. Also, they are 3M film so I am curious as why they seem expensive? May be the cost to pre-cut 3M film? Any other DIY alternatives?

I did my hood with a kit from the company listed here:

PPF Recommendation

Hood went well. I may do bumper when weather is warmer, BUT, search youtube and learn a lot. Apparently while the hood can be done by a first time DIYer, once you get to lots of curves/coutouts, etc, risk of destroying the expensive PPF goes up way high due to install error

Yep, I'm waiting for MY and looking at this too! Never done PPF but paying $1,700 for the front PPF coverage here in Bay Area is insane to me.

This is a good video -
and there are a few more.

I'm looking at the same (I think?) $288 Xpel on eBay (is it allowed to post links here?).

P.S When I bought my first house in March this year I hated carpets in the bedrooms and family room. Watched 5-7 Youtube videos, got some tools and materials in Home Deport, and installed laminated in all rooms. Sure, the first one was most definitely not perfect but the last one was. Same with PPF :) I can post the results once I get my MY (EDD Jan 2022)

Yep, I'm waiting for MY and looking at this too! Never done PPF but paying $1,700 for the front PPF coverage here in Bay Area is insane to me.

This is a good video -
and there are a few more.

I'm looking at the same (I think?) $288 Xpel on eBay (is it allowed to post links here?).

P.S When I bought my first house in March this year I hated carpets in the bedrooms and family room. Watched 5-7 Youtube videos, got some tools and materials in Home Deport, and installed laminated in all rooms. Sure, the first one was most definitely not perfect but the last one was. Same with PPF :) I can post the results once I get my MY (EDD Jan 2022)
... laminate in all rooms.

Hmm, seems like I cannot edit my post (yet?).

I installed PPF on my Mazdaspeed Miata years ago. Not that bad of a job if you take some time to learn the technique online, practice before applying, and then going slow and taking your time to do it right. Get a small piece of PPF, cut it to size, and try installing it on the rear bumper where you might scratch the paint when loading stuff in and out. It's a nice easy spot to get your feet wet on installing PPF.

I'm thinking I'm going to order the full front Xpel kit. Around $450 vs $1650 installed. Plan is to watch all the YouTube, then start with the easiest pieces and move to the hard ones, so hood, bulbs, fenders, mirrors, bumper. Still undecided.

As someone mentioned, you should practice installing PPF on you rear bumper. This will help you get a feel for what you are doing and will allow you to grasp techniques that come with hands on application. It may be a little tricky in the beginning but if you take your time, you will be just fine.

I would recommend doing the hood, fender and front bumper in that order. I have done a good number of panels on various cars. Speaking from experience, I would be super impressed if you can get the front bumper perfect without previous experience. Another option is to do the hood and fenders yourself. And pay someone to do the front bumper.