Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dynamat for whining / whistle / beeping inverter noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my understanding, Dynamat helps with reducing vibration noises on large panels of sheet metal. If you choose to block noise, look into MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) sometimes backed with a CCF (Closed Cell Foam). I've done both to my Model 3 but didn't have an issue with motor noises to begin with.

From my understanding, Dynamat helps with reducing vibration noises on large panels of sheet metal. If you choose to block noise, look into MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) sometimes backed with a CCF (Closed Cell Foam). I've done both to my Model 3 but didn't have an issue with motor noises to begin with.

Thanks. I’m thinking about dynamat for the panel under the car/below DU, all around the frunk, and MLV below the front rugs in the cabin. Think that might work?

I think it depends on your model year. I have a 2018 without the double-glazed door window glass, so most of my noise comes from the windows. That said, I wasn't trying to block the drive unit whine, I was working to block road noise. In my case, the biggest impact was changing the tires (I now use Vredestein Quatrac Pro 19"s) and adding some 3M Thinsulate between the roof shade and the glass to prevent sound from echoing off the interior glass.