Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dynamic Supercharger Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
It seems Tesla might have implemented dynamic pricing at some sites. It would be useful to see if we can establish what factor(s) drive the price. If you charge at Heathrow or Abingdon please can you add a message here in the following format.
Site: Heathrow/Abington

Date:

Start time:

Occupancy of stalls: quiet/medium/busy

How long does it take to put 100 miles onthe clock at these Superchargers?
There is not a simple answer to that question however I will give you an idea of what to expect.
For ease of maths let's assume you get 4 miles per kWh so to get 100 miles on the clock you will need 25kWh to be added.
If you charge by a 3 pin granny charger this will take about 10 hours.
If you charge at home on a standard home charger this will take about 3 hours.
If you plug into a 250 kW supercharger it will take under 15 mins in almost all cases (lots of variables affect the result)

rsymons did a test with the LR/P/SR+ in cold weather. all three charged at different speeds, but they all added range in about the same time - 10 mins for 100 miles, 15 mins for 150 miles. This was from a lowish state of charge but not super low.

10 minutes if you're around 40-50%
Depends a bit on temperature etc, but useful links

For OP, I'll be doing a bit more driving in next few weeks, so I'll be Supercharging for the first time in ages. Will watch thread and add if I have some info

1647420333179.png

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360012178313-Charging-with-a-Tesla-Model-3 - this is NOT a Supercharger, but a similar one from another supplier (Fastned). Gives INDICATION that charging is faster below 55%.

My advice to others is to note the speed at the start of a charging session and when it dips down, just leave and plan (rely on car) on another fast stop elsewhere. That is about the time needed to visit toilet and/or get a coffee. I sometimes stay longer if herding family and stretching legs on long trips. Long sessions when eating.

On long trips at fast speeds (German autobahn), I go fast and still stop more frequently for me and passengers that the car needs to, and Superchargers seemed well placed.

UK might be slightly different in that going just a few miles in UK at wrong time can take a long time due to congestion, roadworks etc. Slower you go though, the longer range you'll get (air resistance much higher at speed). I'm curious about the slow long commutes I used to do and how much range I'd get. I know slow roads near coast give me huge range bonus. Conversely, lots of short trips harm range.

I've rarely supercharged in UK as most trips longer than half the range mean I'm staying somewhere anyway and I'm using destination charging at campsite/friends - otherwise it's within a round-trip range. A brief stop of 4 hours at friends could add 12kWh or 40 miles of range. Centre of England to coasts and back is fine. If I did as much commuting as I used to before covid (and I expected), it would be a different situation. Wales & North of England look a bit harder to find chargers.

1647420369793.png