Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyno Mode in 2020.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks,

I turned on dyno mode in my recently updated HW3 dual motor Model 3 LR with 2020.12 software and noticed that I could not turn the dyno mode off by using the "power off" from UI or by exiting the car. I tried waiting for 5 minutes and more after turning the power down. No luck. I called Tesla emergency and looks like some one is on the way in an hour. Just a heads up to anyone trying this on the same configuration. Looks like Tesla has changed the behaviour in the latest configuration. The dyno mode turn off regenerative completely and also reduces power significantly to the motors if it notices the car is driving on the road.

I had trouble getting out of it on Friday too. Ultimately some combination of re-doing the turn on procedure and rebooting got me out. They really changed the way it behaves. Power is super limited. Big red letters indicating dyno mode plastered across the screen. The whole car felt weird. Not something you'd play with anymore.

Car can easily tell if it's not stationary- kinda stupid they didn't have that check in there originally to yank power if it detected it's moving.

Sounds like they decided to fix that and make Dyno mode an actual dyno mode instead of a "let people wreck their car" mode as we've seen from some videos already.

Car can easily tell if it's not stationary- kinda stupid they didn't have that check in there originally to yank power if it detected it's moving.

Sounds like they decided to fix that and make Dyno mode an actual dyno mode instead of a "let people wreck their car" mode as we've seen from some videos already.
Boo. I was going to autocross my car. I wanted to see if it lived up to the hype or if people just don't know how to drive without nannies.
When I was young we didn't have any computers telling us what to do. I guess I'm officially a grumpy old man

Reactions: bedoig
Did you try a reboot of the display?

Keep us posted on this. I’ve used it a couple times and would like the option to continue to use it if possible.

Tesla has changed dyno mode behaviour to operate the motors at 50kw when it detects you are driving on the road and how you turn it off. You have to first tap on the power off from safety and security or exit the car, wait 2 minutes and then use the dynomode procedure again to turn it off.