TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dyno Next Week for Model S- any instructions?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by frientmj, Aug 2, 2014.

1. frientmj

frientmj New Member

Hi - first post. Have read and seen some videos about a few people putting Model S up on a dyno. I have the opportunity to put my Model S on one next week. I was wondering if anyone could help with the following: 1)Tie Down Points 2)Special Instructions 3)Other? Thanks.

2. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

start the dyno session from a standstill going 100% wide open throttle, don't roll up to a speed and start it.... turn off traction control and all other accessories, AC, radio, lights, etc... make sure the car has a 100% charge...

3. frientmj

frientmj New Member

Thanks fiksegts. Traction control makes sense. Why turn off the other accessories? Just curious. Also, any idea on tie down points?

4. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Only do the minimum amount of runs you need - dyno runs are known to ruin motorcycle tires, I imagine they don't do car tires much good either.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The car may freak out and throw a bunch of alarms. I've seen that after a dyno run before but everything cleared after a few min of driving.

6. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

And please record the process on video and post here :)

7. frientmj

frientmj New Member

Thanks - still looking for tie down points if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Drive it like ya stole it.....

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Has anyone gunned it in reverse to see what would happen and what reverse torque would be??? I wonder if they limited the speed in reverse at all or if it could still pull a 12 second quarter mile in reverse LOL

10. G-F

G-F Member

Did you get the chance to test it on the dyno yet?

11. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#11 kevincwelch, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

Or worse.

12. G-F

G-F Member

This happened locally(ish) by a company that would bring along their mobile dynos to fairs and events around the province. People would pay a fee to have a dyno reading of their car. The readings were not accurate and people that knew better would never trust those guys nowhere near their cars.

If you test on a real "permanent" Mustang or DynoJet dyno, you will be safe. Guys operating dynos know their stuff. They do this day in and day out. Clowns bringing dynos around on a trailer to entertain kids during small town fairs should be avoided. Especially if you have a high power car like the Tesla.

13. frientmj

frientmj New Member

Not yet. Was delayed one week due to weather.

I am still looking for recommended tie down points if anyone has any thoughts. thanks