TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dyson air multiplier

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by malcolm, Oct 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Idea seems a bit wasted on a desk fan.

Might work as a component in a cooling system, but it looks like a conventional fan is still needed in the design; dyson has just come up with some fancy duct-work

Dyson Air Multiplierâ„¢ fan | Dyson.co.uk

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Seemed pretty lame to me. Bet it costs a fortune, doesn't look to blow very hard, looks like it has a fairly large footprint, and probably uses significantly more energy for the same amount of "blow power". Looks cool tho!

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

200 quid for a desk fan! Solution looking for a problem I think.

Shame he gave up on his washing machine, but then that was expensive too.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Even more, what about his Electric Car?

6. Retellect

Retellect New Member

Its not all that lame, it really does pack alot of blowing power for such a small device. Trust me although its fanless I was surprised when I saw how powerful it was. I was so impressed I wrote an article on how it works :) It does have a small "fan" inside, all it does is amplify the airflow. Its like putting a small nozzle on a hose, the water pressure will rise and it will spray further............same concept but using air instead. Go on, have a read: How does the Dyson Air Multiplier work?

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Saw two of these in the shops a couple of days ago. They were noisy and about as powerful as a gnat fart. Disappointing.

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

My guess is that if you place them too close to a wall there's insufficient clearance behind to allow the air to be drawn through.

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This was on a shelf in the middle of the floor of a huge branch of John Lewis - there was nothing blocking it for 20 metres in any direction...

10. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Gnat's fart it is, then.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Saw one at Bed Bath and Beyond. Noise did not bother me but it was pretty much just an air disturber.