TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dyson cancels the electric car projects!

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Rooster6655, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

I expected Dyson to disappoint and I don't think they really invested the amounts they claim
    https://electrek.co/2019/10/10/dyson-billion-electric-car-project-over/

I seem to remember Dyson getting a £16m grant for battery research which I presume now has disappeared, if they had used that money for electric chargers instead we might have had something decent or even give it to Ecotricity to replace their chargers!

2. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

A shame nonetheless. Competition is good, especially from a non-incumbent non-legacy car maker.

3. Fraank

Fraank Member

Shame, I was looking forward to the first Dyson road sweeper.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  4. evGuesty

evGuesty Member

Elon invested everything in Tesla and nearly lost it all. I think Dyson has probably looked at it and realised he doesn’t want to take that same level of risk.

5. zayn

zayn Member

there was no solid investment plan behind Dyson's dream of building an EV, he was not capable of doing this alone and who was willing to invest billions in a new EV manufacture alone.

• Like x 1
  6. Rooster6655

Yes also it seemed very odd that they were investing in new battery research implying the current technology is not good enough, when they could have partnered with the leader and looked to improve from there.

Unless you have billions to research to get to the level of Tesla then a few million isn’t going to get you a viable battery option that is cost effective hence his reasoning for giving up I believe.

7. elecTED

elecTED Member

RIP...

9E86E833-884A-472A-A29B-672FC01F5328.jpeg

• Funny x 10
  8. IanMcL

IanMcL Member

The current Clive Sinclair.

9. 12Pack

12Pack ..

Actually Dyson will continue with battery R&D. They are working on "solid-state" batteries where the electrolyte is in solid form, making the battery lighter and more compact. This is also for their ongoing Home business.

10. Rooster6655

Don’t see Dyson being the leader in this field, they are probably continuing their research to save face in any backlash from taking the grant.

11. jimbo_hippo

jimbo_hippo Member

That’s a shame. They could have cleaned up.

• Funny x 5
  12. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

One paper is reporting they cancelled it because they found out making EV.s is too easy i.e. he barrier for entry is too low so there will be too much competition in the future. !!!

13. ProfessorK

ProfessorK Member

That bell*** took £16 million of tax payer's money to help develop this. But I guess we'll get it back when Dyson pays tax--

Oh wait.

14. elecTED

elecTED Member

Dyson thought he was on the ball with this one and could blow away others but his lofty goals of hoovering up the competition has now gone up in the air. He’ll have to suck his pride now. When the dust settles he’ll no doubt be back with another fantasy idea. Priceless. Bagless.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  15. MaDProFF

MaDProFF Member

Seems a huge tax scam to me, how the first part of a project with in reason is to decide if it was a viable option long term, why spend so much on anything but the car it self, before spending loads to test it etc. but 2 billion seems a lot of money to put on a project before deciding it was not a viable option which is off crap.

Maybe it was all about batteries.

16. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

You forgot "i wash and Dry my hands of this mess"

reference - Dyson Airblade Wash+Dry Hand Dryer | Overview | Dyson

• Funny x 1
  17. Fraank

Fraank Member

I knew this thread would be a cyclone of dad jokes.

• Funny x 1
  18. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

But it's fine becuause Dyson will keep supporting British jobs instead of moving his production to Singapore...oh wait.

• Like x 2
  19. m-i-l

m-i-l Member

Has anyone actually seen any concrete evidence that this was a legitimate project, e.g. pictures of the car? According to the BBC article "The first cars had already been developed and were being tested" on a "£200m ... test track" and "the project employed 523 people". But none of the news articles I've seen have actually shown any evidence for this.

• Like x 1
  20. IanMcL

IanMcL Member

I have a Tesla and a Dyson Hoover (Deliberate!) and I love my Tesla!