Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyson cancels the electric car projects!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
I expected Dyson to disappoint and I don't think they really invested the amounts they claim
https://electrek.co/2019/10/10/dyson-billion-electric-car-project-over/

I seem to remember Dyson getting a £16m grant for battery research which I presume now has disappeared, if they had used that money for electric chargers instead we might have had something decent or even give it to Ecotricity to replace their chargers!

Yes also it seemed very odd that they were investing in new battery research implying the current technology is not good enough, when they could have partnered with the leader and looked to improve from there.

Unless you have billions to research to get to the level of Tesla then a few million isn’t going to get you a viable battery option that is cost effective hence his reasoning for giving up I believe.

RIP...

9E86E833-884A-472A-A29B-672FC01F5328.jpeg
Shame, I was looking forward to the first Dyson road sweeper.

Yes also it seemed very odd that they were investing in new battery research implying the current technology is not good enough, when they could have partnered with the leader and looked to improve from there.

Unless you have billions to research to get to the level of Tesla then a few million isn’t going to get you a viable battery option that is cost effective hence his reasoning for giving up I believe.
Actually Dyson will continue with battery R&D. They are working on "solid-state" batteries where the electrolyte is in solid form, making the battery lighter and more compact. This is also for their ongoing Home business.

Actually Dyson will continue with battery R&D. They are working on "solid-state" batteries where the electrolyte is in solid form, making the battery lighter and more compact. This is also for their ongoing Home business.

Don’t see Dyson being the leader in this field, they are probably continuing their research to save face in any backlash from taking the grant.

Seems a huge tax scam to me, how the first part of a project with in reason is to decide if it was a viable option long term, why spend so much on anything but the car it self, before spending loads to test it etc. but 2 billion seems a lot of money to put on a project before deciding it was not a viable option which is off crap.

Maybe it was all about batteries.

Dyson thought he was on the ball with this one and could blow away others but his lofty goals of hoovering up the competition has now gone up in the air. He’ll have to suck his pride now. When the dust settles he’ll no doubt be back with another fantasy idea. Priceless. Bagless.
You forgot "i wash and Dry my hands of this mess"

reference - Dyson Airblade Wash+Dry Hand Dryer | Overview | Dyson

• Funny
Reactions: elecTED
Has anyone actually seen any concrete evidence that this was a legitimate project, e.g. pictures of the car? According to the BBC article "The first cars had already been developed and were being tested" on a "£200m ... test track" and "the project employed 523 people". But none of the news articles I've seen have actually shown any evidence for this.

Reactions: MaDProFF