Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyson plans to launch electric car in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dyson000.jpg

Personally I think he's going to be too late to the party. He's trying to do in 2020 what Elon did in 2008 with the roadster.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll succeed.

The party hasn't even begun. All the real shuffling in the EV space is going to take place 2020 to about 2028. It's very unclear if there's any real first mover advantage in the EV business. It's going to come down to has the best products at the best prices, who iterates the quickest, and who controls the supply chain and perhaps IP. It may not even be any existing auto company (including Tesla) that ends up strongest in this space. Meanwhile, the Chinese government is doing everything it can to see its domestic industry dominate EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Personally I think he's going to be too late to the party. He's trying to do in 2020 what Elon did in 2008 with the roadster.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll succeed.

Tell me more about the solid-state battery from Elon back in 2008. I somehow missed that news.

The company is investing one billion pounds ($1.34 billion) to develop the car, plus the same sum to create solid-state batteries to power it, Dyson said. These investments will dwarf money the company is spending on research and development for its vacuums and air filters.

While most of these companies are using lithium-ion batteries in their current models, Dyson said its car would use solid-state batteries that are smaller, more efficient, easier to charge and potentially easier to recycle. Toyota is also working on solid-state batteries and said earlier this year it hopes to have them in electric vehicles by the early 2020s.

Dyson to Spend £1 Billion Making ‘Radical’ Electric Car

I wonder whether the industry could be evolving into something it was 100 years back: a few brands, perhaps five or six (including perhaps Dyson), makings "platforms" (chassis/battery/drivetrain/etc.) and hundreds of other brands (probably the existing ones who already have a reputation and a dealer network) coach-building on those platforms. No idea if this makes sense, just a thought.

Great that more investment is coming. Its good because even if Dyson fails to deliver an actual car, someone might buy the tech or Dyson might become a supplier to someone who will deliver a final product. At least Dyson actually bought a battery company and gets that you need a supply of batteries to have any kind of success at this point in EVs. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a glut of battery manufacturers pumping out batteries by the GW, but as of right now there is China and Tesla(Panasonic) and Korea with Samsung and LGChem. I dont believe China will be exporting batteries for some time as they have major issues of their own to deal with.

That being said, everyone is 5-10 years behind Tesla and 2020 is indeed getting very crowded as noted by @JohnSnowNW. I think the count of EVs coming in 2020 is now like 312.7 and climbing by the day. 2020 is going to be a very magical or very sad year. I am betting on the latter.

Haha...Going to cost him a lot more than 1B to come to market with a viable product.

Haha? I would suppose Sir Dyson knows what he's doing (and knows a lot more about what he's doing than you or I know). After all, he did prove he knew how to become a billionaire thanks to his visionary ideas.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of Dyson personally and as a company. Some amazing products and design.

Not sure if I agree with Dyson making a electric car though. But who knows. They do have an amazing engineering team.

I would trust Dyson more than any other major car company to come up with a compelling design.

2020 is the new Y2K. Seems like every new electric car is coming out that year.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV
I have a different theory... this is besides the obvious fact that there is some seriously impressive engineers at Dyson.... I think this all boils down to a 2nd year MBA student from Bayonne, New Jersey doing an advanced customer analysis and finding that 99% of Tesla owners have purchased a Dyson in the last year. Mr. Dyson was so moved by this MBA student's presentation, that he decided that he will risk everything to build the world's most powerful electric car that never, and I mean NEVER loses suction!!!!!

I predict that Dyson will soon announce a Dyson Hyperloop that will achieve 3,000 mph. Unfortunately, passengers will have to be emptied into a trash can after arriving at their destination.