Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyson plans to launch electric car in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha? I would suppose Sir Dyson knows what he's doing (and knows a lot more about what he's doing than you or I know). After all, he did prove he knew how to become a billionaire thanks to his visionary ideas.

Oh please.....plenty of visionaries are one trick ponies.

Big difference in building a technology driven car company vs marketing vacuums. Also, it will need a bunch more of his vacuums to be sold before he can get a vehicle to market, let alone build out a sales, service, charging solution.

Btw: I'm American. Namedropping that "Sir" doesn't impress me.

Great! Clean up the road whilst driving. Chaparral used the same principle in one of their racing cars.

Chaparrall-5-660x495.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
Oh please.....plenty of visionaries are one trick ponies.

Big difference in building a technology driven car company vs marketing vacuums. Also, it will need a bunch more of his vacuums to be sold before he can get a vehicle to market, let alone build out a sales, service, charging solution.

Btw: I'm American. Namedropping that "Sir" doesn't impress me.
Do I have a Dyson vacuum? Yes.
Was never impressed with him as he stopped there.
Had he gone on to deliver other practical household appliances I would be in awe. Not wind blowers.
Just jealous you're neither British nor a Knight.

Do I have a Dyson vacuum? Yes.
Was never impressed with him as he stopped there.
Had he gone on to deliver other practical household appliances I would be in awe. Not wind blowers.
Just jealous you're neither British nor a Knight.
I for one, would love to be British right now with the dotard we have in the White House.

Surprised no one brought this up. Dyson bought Sakti - Ann Mary Sastry's solid state battery company in 2015. But they had issues with it afterwards. Anyhow, the fact that Dyson is now announcing 2020 car hopefully means, they actually have working solid state batteries now.

Dyson walks away from (three) Sakti3 solid-state battery patents: updated

Several sites say Dyson has two teams working on solid state batteries.

Like Quarterbacks, when you have two you really have none.

money-graphics-2005_952320a.jpg

Laugh everyone - laugh all you want. Remember how they laughed at Elon. Easy to laugh - tough to deliver. Dyson has delivered in the past and if his claim of 400 engineers working on these for the past 24 months are true - then he has more serious effort into the arena than either Faraday or Lucid did. And he does have capital, and access to more. He's also older, perhaps thinking of his legacy - and perhaps willing to invest serious personal capital into this. Capital - or lack of it - is what seems to have held back Faraday and is now holding up Lucid.

Honestly, I've no idea of your point. Is there one?

My point is simple (see my quotes above or below):

Dyson has two competing teams working on “solid state” batteries, which are seen as safer and denser than existing lithium-ion batteries.

This isn't Dyson's 2020 version of the 2008 Roadster as the OP claimed.

The interesting parts of Dyson's project isn't the EV but the solid-state batteries - and the confirmation that there was a second team still working on these SS batteries (since they dropped Sakti3 earlier this year, which was expected after buying them for just pennies on the dollar. Sakti3 was over-hyped for years...).

Both Dyson and Toyota now claim they can manufacture SS batteries for EVs in the early 2020s - and both companies aren't known for BS. They are rather consvervative in their business approach.

Li-Ion giants (CATL, Samsung, LG, Panasonic/Tesla...) could see giant asset write-downs within a few short years if either Dyson or Toyota succeed...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
My point is simple (see my quotes above or below):

The interesting parts of Dyson's project isn't the EV but the solid-state batteries - and the confirmation that there was a second team working on SS batteries (since they dropped Sakti3 earlier this year, which was expected after buying them for just pennies on the dollar. Sakti3 was over-hyped for years...).

Both Dyson and Toyota claim they can manufacture SS batteries for EVs in the early 2020s - and both companies aren't known for BS.

I think you're expecting a bit too much from the SS batteries that may or may not be available 5 years from now, and how the rest of the market would be able to respond.

You are known for putting forth potential competitors that have yet to actually surface.

Reactions: Krugerrand
They laughed at Elon ergo any laughable effort can make it just like Tesla.

That makes perfect sense.

Radical new battery, radical new motor plus radical new chassis.

No automotive partner plus brand new factory.

Sounds like an easy ramp up. With excellent short term reliability and long term durability.

BTW

Lucid has ~350 engineers. FF has over 1k employees.

FF had way deep pockets until Jia Yueting ran into financial problems starting the LeEco stock tanking.

BTW II

2003 Tesla did not have to compete against 2020 Tesla.

All these startups and new entrants from established non-automotive companies have to compete against 2020 Tesla.

Many people bought Model S because there was no credible long range BEV alternative.

Why buy Dyson 1.0 instead of Tesla Model S 2.0 plus Supercharger Network, plus established Service and Collision repair network?

Dyson has a history of radical new design without functional superiority.

I have never owned a Dyson product but many owners claim their vacuums, hair dryers, fans are not that much better if they are better at all than their much cheaper competitors.

There's really no way to know how Dyson will do in EV-land until we get a LOT closer to their alleged launch date.

For instance, Faraday looked really strong at first blush. But nowadays, it's questionable as to whether they'll ever even launch a real product, or will last long afterwards as an independent entity even if they do.

There's a reason why there's been few successful and/or unacquired new car companies over the past, oh, 50 years or so. The established incumbents are huge, and manufacturing and quality control of something as complex and capital-intensive as an automobile has many challenges and a steep learning cure.

In other words... it's hard. :oops:

Even Tesla came close to going under at times, and some would say they're not 110% out of the woods yet, even today.

Last edited:
2003 Tesla did not have to compete against 2020 Tesla.
2003 Tesla had to create the market for EVs, as well as build the car to sell into that market. I believe they succeeded in doing both with the Roadster. Given that the market exists now, the correct strategy for (yet another) newcomer will probably be different.

My guess on that strategy is that they should build one new, very key piece of technology (e.g. a mass-producible SS battery), and put it in whatever they can get their hands on for the car. OEM it from some Chinese manufacturer, for example, since there's likely to be a quite a few of them by 2020. Then put themselves on the block to be acquired by a more established manufacturer. Graceful (profitable) exit, and on to retirement (though it's hard to imagine Dyson actually retiring...).

All jokes aside, I think he's the kind of a guy that will make an interesting and quality car. The question I have is what will be different about it? How does he want to be different? would certainly be cool to see him put the rolly ball on his vacuum on a the back wheel of a car.... kind of the like the batman motorcycle... pretty damn fascinating to see the motor is housed in the low center of gravity ball...

I believe Dyson will pull it off way more than Faraday and the other startups.