Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E Fuse Issue(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of chatter on TMC about systems faults / failures traced to E Fuse.

Here's our story:

New Model X delivered Dec 2. Two days later, error message service needed, car not driveable showed up for a few seconds on first start of the day. Two days after that, at first start, several messages appeared and car would not start. Flatbed to SC. SC could not duplicate. Data servers down at Tesla the remainder of that week preventing diagnostics. The following week, server data suggested intermittent problem with E fuse. Disassembled and reassembled - torqued to spec. Vehicle returned and A-OK for five days. On sixth day, same condition on first start with multiple error messages, shortly followed by black screens (both). Lights and doors did operate. Flatbed to SC. Diagnostics still indicate E Fuse issue. SC seeking the latest version of updated E Fuse. Awaiting sourcing. Days in service so far: 11 Days in shop: 10

St Louis SC customer service/relations has been OUTSTANDING. Keep us informed each step during their work. Great high spec loaners.

Model X PUP, EAP VIN: 71XXXX

We are now on 19 total days in the shop. Awaiting correct bolt-down parts needed to install the very latest version of the E Fuse. Twice now the Factory has shipped the previous bolt down hardware which doesn’t work. SC keeping us informed daily. Still enjoying a P100D (L+) loaner.

SC called this morning. Parts have arrived. I'm hopeful they are the correct parts. After install, SC wants to hold on to the car for a couple days to make sure the fix is stable and doesn't exhibit another intermittent failure.

Interested to see how this turns out. We're having lots of issues with our new Tesla, including passenger air bag inop, no center screen, no heat or defrosters, one inop keyfob, and intermittent instrument cluster. We've been told to keep driving it like this.

SC received and installed the correct hardware for the updated E-Fuse on Monday of this week. They test drove and had the Tesla engineering folks review the diagnostic data and confirmed everything was operating normally. Vehicle was returned to us two days ago. So far, car is operating fine.

Nine days now and the car has kept running. I have had two instances (first was three days ago, the second was today) where the IC message was 'Systems Powering Up" with black main screen. Also, there was no connection/response on the Mobil App. I pressed and held both scroll wheels on the steering wheel. First time it took about 3 minutes to respond ('T' on the screen & then boot up). Today, it took about 1 minute. SC advises the symptoms suggest the car is going into a deep sleep and that my action was appropriate. Had me go into Controls, Lights and toggle the Energy Saving from ON to OFF to ON and uncheck and recheck the 'Always Connected' box. We'll see if that prevents future occurrences.

Interested to see how this turns out. We're having lots of issues with our new Tesla, including passenger air bag inop, no center screen, no heat or defrosters, one inop keyfob, and intermittent instrument cluster. We've been told to keep driving it like this.

Mobile tech just replaced ECU tonight. Very nice guy. Took about 6 hours to complete the job. Only problem now is our reverse camera is unavailable. They're looking into it. I just happy to have heat, music, nav, etc. again!!!

Seat has been ordered, which means they need to build one, according to tech.

Also got a new key fob, as the original one was toast.

UPDATE: Six days after my previous report of two instances of 'deep sleep', a third instance occurred that put the car in 'Car Off' mode in the middle of stop and go driving in a parking lot. Took the car about 2 min to finish powering up and returning to normal operation. I advised the SC and they had diagnostics run. Results indicated a potential frequency issue with a particular chip. The suggested course of action was to update software from 2017.50.3 to 2018.2. It's now been a week with 2018.2 and no further occurrences of deep sleep have occurred. Just received a notification today that new software is available.