Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E-Pass users in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are E-Pass users in Florida dealing with the signal blocking windshield on the Model S? I've tried searching the forum and get a lot of results for 'EZ Pass' from other states. Not sure if that will apply accurately for the system in Florida. I do have an Autopilot equipped S with the black area next to the rear-view mirror, but don't know how to apply the transponder so that the signal will register. Any solutions out there?

I use a Sunpass portable transponder in Central Florida (basically the same tech as E-Pass) and haven't had any issues in my past 8 months of ownership with mounting it on the windshield behind the rear view mirror (out of sight). My car is a 2016 refreshed Model S w/ AP1.

I use a Sunpass portable transponder in Central Florida (basically the same tech as E-Pass) and haven't had any issues in my past 8 months of ownership with mounting it on the windshield behind the rear view mirror (out of sight). My car is a 2016 refreshed Model S w/ AP1.
Mine is a 2015 with AP1, and I'm worried they may have changed the windshield glass with the refresh. I know that the Model X windshield doesn't have this problem and will even work with radar detectors. It may be that they now use the same type glass with the refresh Model S's as with the Model X. Maybe I need to compare to the pre-refresh Model S.

I don't know how to remove it. It's supposed to be really easy. It should be in the manual since the tow hook screws in behind it.
The manual I was given access to on My Tesla only shows directions for the refresh version that doesn't have the nose cone. Tesla calls it 'towing eye' rather than tow hook, by the way. If someone has the pre-refresh manual maybe they could post those directions.

I found this video showing how to remove the nose. It is easy.
Isn't YouTube wonderful. Never occurred to me that it would have a video for this. But after watching that one, I went on to some others and came across this one. He mentions sensors that need to be disconnected if you're going to fully remove the nose cone, but what I found interesting was his method for removing the nose cone using his butt. Seems kind of a brute force way to do it. Has anyone done it this way?

I can confirm what I reported hearing from my DS on another thread a couple of months ago: new Teslas no longer have an issue with transponders on the windshield. I have my SunPass portable (the suction cup one) to the left of the rear-view mirror and it registers perfectly every time. I also have an RFID sticker to open the gate of my neighborhood in the upper right corner of the windshield, and it also works just fine.

I can confirm what I reported hearing from my DS on another thread a couple of months ago: new Teslas no longer have an issue with transponders on the windshield. I have my SunPass portable (the suction cup one) to the left of the rear-view mirror and it registers perfectly every time. I also have an RFID sticker to open the gate of my neighborhood in the upper right corner of the windshield, and it also works just fine.
Unfortunately, it doesn't do me much good on my 2015 model. It does look like they've gotten rid of the type of windshield I have. When did you get yours? On a related topic, by any chance to you also use any radar detector? That's another casualty of this windshield.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do me much good on my 2015 model. It does look like they've gotten rid of the type of windshield I have. When did you get yours? On a related topic, by any chance to you also use any radar detector? That's another casualty of this windshield.
I just picked mine up a few weeks ago. According to the folks at the service center, the new windshield started around Thanksgiving of 2016. I don't use a radar detector... I can't think of many times during my 15 years in Miami when there's been light enough traffic to speed. :)

It's weird that the windshield on the S is supposed to be 'open' now, since the manual still shows the 'hole' for EZ-Pass and the like tags to the right side of the autopilot cameras; this is still the latest manual I know of, '8.0'.

upload_2017-5-4_17-35-42.png

Did he say 'all Teslas'? Because X's never had the issue and that manual recommends putting EZ Passes (etc) at the top part of the windshield, and many (include Tesla loaners) have the 'velcro' tabs back in the corner, as below. But S's were supposed to be different. So, now I'm confused. ;)

upload_2017-5-4_17-40-29.png

I acquired my Model S 60 (now 75) in Dec'16, mounted on windshield directly beneath front camera housing in center (left to right) (I'm a fan of bilateral symmetry). The FL E-pass and Sunpass system has had no problems charging me toll after toll.