TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

e race

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Oct 10, 2006.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. danny

danny Administrator

yah thats the problem. I'm really hoping that electric cars have some kind of sound
    I'm not sure how the ferrari people and etc will move over when the electric cars
    lack that sound ???

3. TonyB

TonyB Guest

Sound, like heat, are signs of wasted energy ;) This is all about efficiency! I do suppose squealing tires will be a predominant sound on the track...

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

How about a really loud horn!

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Many (including Martin) had suggested (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) that the Roadster should include pre-recorded exotic car engine noises. If the car stereo played Ferrari V12 sounds that matched the eMotor revs you could harken back to the olden days when cars used to run on gasoline. :)

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's been said before that the "exotic cars sounds" package should be tied into the accelerator. Step rev step rev!

7. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I've heard this suggested many times, usually in a joking manner. . . I hope it's only a joke. I doubt the result would satisfy anybody. Maybe if you had the premium sound system with the subwoofer, it could sound semi-realistic to the driver and passenger, but to anybody outside the vehicle it would be ridiculous.

I say let the car sound like what it is. I've been told the turbine-like "fweeeee" of the electric motor when it's under load is a powerful, purposeful sound. People who are familiar with it tend to like it.

8. W8MM

W8MM R1.5 #325 + Mdl S #01380

I agree!

The Tesla Roadster sounds like the future.  What's bad about that?

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Seen/heard the Roadster's sound multiple times now. It's wicked cool by itself. Can't imagine actually wanting to change it.
    Having other motor sounds coming from the speakers would be a momentary amusement.

At first I had the nice english voice of my cars NAV system on. After a while it became annoying having her chiding in everytime I drove by a freeway exit. She remains mute.