Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E3D & E5D for Model 3 LR 2021 - Battery mess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The findings of the German Forum TTforum are messing up a bit our understanding about the battery upgrade on the new 2021 M3 LR, need help.

In Germany, car papers have to indicate the battery capacity (gross).
From the spreadsheet they created, it seems there's a relationship btw the code E3D & a 82 kWh battery and E5D & a 77 kWh.

E3D is the code already used for 2019 productions.
E5D, being a progressive number, one is expecting it relates to the MY2021 and the bigger battery.
But according to the spreadsheet it's all way round. o_O

So, what on earth does it mean E3D & E5D?
All i could come across is a generic "model" definition for internal use. Anybody knows better?

Numbers does'nt add up, i don't know how reliable is the german indication 77-82 & i'm trying to understand what i'm getting in few days. My 815xxx VIN is associated to E5D, but in my country no battery capacity is given from car's papers.

Übersicht 2021 LR / P Batteriekapazität Fahrzeugschein

This is the discussion thread, but i can't read german and i'm not relying on google translate..
Übersicht 2021 LR / P Batteriekapazität Fahrzeugschein

Reactions: EV Promoter
I know Bill Wright seems to work at Gigafactory but others are giving contrasting informations. Still not clear.

And i've got today info from owner that charged to 100% a EU M3 LR 2021, getting 530 km = 330 mi.

Mind that EU cars has always shown the EPA range when full, not the WLTP.

330 mi is the value, from another thread, that you get from EPA documents for the LR 2021 if i applied the old coefficient of 0,70 rather than the 0,745 associated with the actual 353 mi.
The extra miles, from the same TMC post seems to be given for the 5 cycle testing that takes in consideration the heat pump (as per the poster).

Moreover, Greentheonly found out in software code the "332" reference very recently.

Well the car is arrived :)

423km @ 79% which equate 535 km = 335mi @ 100%

As i wrote in other msgs, the EU Tesla always had the EPA value at 100%, not the WLTP.

Mind that the EPA 2-cycle of the LR 2021 is 335ish
It is the 5-cycle to be 353 mi

And 335 mi is the number Green found out in the latest software for Model3/Y as "limit".

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1324827421586214912

I'm guessing at 99% the max range in US cars will be the same 335 mi.
And a lot of people will not like it.

PS: Old headlights :(

Last edited:
And i've got today info from owner that charged to 100% a EU M3 LR 2021, getting 530 km = 330 mi.
Owner in Taiwan got ~552km = 343mi.

126134744_4148503321832597_6005192285895025261_o.jpg

Hi, I am from Germany and found your community by searching for the difference between E3D and E5D.
The COC of my M3 LR AWD E5D states a running weight of 1955kg and a maximum weight of 2232kg. Documents of the e3d with 82kWh show 1919-1932kg / 2232
In websearch for weight of M3 I found 1850kg, al lot lighter ...
until today it seems nobody knows the answer. I also read something may be the E5D is produced with the new mega castings machines from Italy which is also used for Model Y.
Some also say, may be the 77 is just an exchange error with the net capacity of the batterie instead of the cross capacity of 82kWh. This also happened before for Volkswagen e-Golf in Germany with the wrong value written into the car papers.
Will be faithful for any hints before getting the car before Christmas.

• Informative
@kawa72 thanks for adding this, me too i was suspicious of the papers and i have the same feeling that the E5D is some sort of new building process, being the E3D a long time existing code.
My italian paper states only the gross weight fully loaded and is exactly like yours, 2232 kg (me too E5D).
The net capacity, however should be 74,5 kWh.

I have an OBDLINK LX from my previous car, i would like to get in to check the battery numbers, but i'm afraid to buy the expensive harness
that still is given for the 2019-2020, just in case somethind changed. I'm looking to find infos about it.

Anyway i've sorted why some talks of 535 km full charge, others 544 km. I've just seen on mine, is because the % shown on the screen doesn't have decimals, so a 1% rounding gives the two numbers.

For what it’s worth, here is a screen dump of the danish motor authority’s listed specifications for my Model 3, that I received last week. It lists battery capacity at 85,8 which must surely be some sort of error. Other Danish LR M3’s have the same listing. My “variant” is listed as E5D on a previous page.

8D880FA0-E1C4-4342-AC87-87C963B871A3.jpeg

For what it’s worth, here is a screen dump of the danish motor authority’s listed specifications for my Model 3, that I received last week. It lists battery capacity at 85,8 which must surely be some sort of error. Other Danish LR M3’s have the same listing. My “variant” is listed as E5D on a previous page.

View attachment 614775
I have the same numbers on my IT model 3 and the 85,8 kWh comes from multiplying 580 km x 148 Wh/km, the rated consumption, that says how much is fake our WLTP 580 km rating :)
I do believe the capacity indications is calculated that way and not actually measured.

In few hours my E5D M3 will get 100% charge, to double check my previous extrapolation to 535 km as the rating shown by the car, not at all the 580 km from Wltp.
Perhaps not by chance 535 km x 148 Wh/km gives a 79.2 kWh battery, that should be the quite right number.

The old EU M3, 310 mi - 499 km , shown to have the same rating of US cars.
If it's validated, 535 km equate 332 mi, which is the 2-cycle EPA value for the US 2021 LR.

Problem is, they takes more than a month to get here and duty taxes and high shipment fares have to be added.
I think i'll go for a US one, sono 35$ that become 65$ with shipment and custom duties and should be a little faster.
The same here in EU i've been asked 110$.....