Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP and FSD price at UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my fellow Teslarions,

I was wondering what is the point of having FSD at the price of £6800 when we cant use the full potential of it.

Due to the EU/UK laws we have a lot of limitations on this feature, maybe if it was for £1000 for FSD and £500 for EAP Tesla might have more sales here in the UK for FSD.

Who else thinks these prices are right?

Hello my fellow Teslarions,

I was wondering what is the point of having FSD at the price of £6800 when we cant use the full potential of it.

Due to the EU/UK laws we have a lot of limitations on this feature, maybe if it was for £1000 for FSD and £500 for EAP Tesla might have more sales here in the UK for FSD.

The fact that the software sucks isn’t the fault of regulations, but because Tesla don’t bother to work on the software stacks that our cars receive.

In the heady days when some of us actually believed the promises of robotaxis and genuine FSD I was amongst those conned into parting with money.
The promise was that upgrades would be made available. The reality is that these cars will not achieve anything close to true autonomy with the sensors and processors on board. It makes no sense for Tesla to increase sales of FSD by lowering the price and end up with even more folk whose cars they potentially have to upgrade. It’s far more likely that they'll roll out new cars with upgraded tech until they actually get it right while delaying releases to the point that most previous models have been traded or scrapped.
It’s even more likely that Mobileye or another rival beats them to a deployable solution and Tesla end up as a recharging company more than an auto maker

Somewhere between worthless and $100,000 according to who you talk to.

EAP does OK job auto lane change. Everything else not worth bothering about/enabling imho. But lane change wasn’t what I bought into, I bought into FSD in reasonable timeframes as Tesla were promising they could already close to short of regulations approval.

Nothing in FSD delta of any use. But they did say that FSD covered cost of hardware upgrades needed, but I suspect that they thought that HW3 was it so was only thinking HW2 to HW3. But if it covered all upgrades needed to fulfil the promise incl sensor suite, then a worthwhile upgrade. Tesla seem to have gone quiet on that front even now it’s $15k in US. Almost priced to put you off buying…

Right now neither can even do what regulations allow to any reasonable expectations due to poor implementation.

Reactions: Dilly and Durzel
Personally I wouldn't pay 50p for either.

Don't misunderstand me, I really like driving my M3 LR. There are a lot of things it does really well and the electric drivetrain and efficiency is fantastic.

It's beyond awful at letting it do anything itself - wipers, auto full beam or adaptive cruise are all really not fit for purpose or lag behind almost any car I've had in the last 5 years.

If it can't even control those functions properly how much chance has it at being able to drive itself competently?

I await the usual 'I don't have any issues with my lights/wipers/cruise' .. all I have is my experience in my own car and they really are poor.

EAP didn't exist when I got my car, so I got FSD - mainly because Tesla said that "automatic driving on city streets" was "coming later this year" (2020). Obviously that never happened.

EAP started being offered in Europe in 2021 I believe, and I feel strongly that this was a tacit admission by Tesla that:
  1. the price of FSD in Europe was too high relative to the crippled functionality,
  2. that they could not discount FSD without risking the ire of all of those people who had already paid for it,
  3. they couldn't reduce the price of FSD anyway without compromising the FOMO narrative that it will always get more expensive so BUY NOW!
The fact that EAP gives you 99% of the feature set of FSD for half the price speaks volumes. It does not exactly replace FSD, so Tesla can claim that FSD-havers have something extra to justify the extra £3,400 delta. Imagine being asked to pay £3,400 extra for "Traffic Light Stop and Go" today...

Either way neither are worth the price in objective terms. EAP may or may not feel like its worth the money if you do a lot of motorway miles, particuarly as activating Autopilot now enables auto high beam whereas FSD doesn't deactivate AP on a lane change, so there's no reactivation. For some people not having to suffer that might be worth the money.

If I had put the money I spent on FSD into Tesla shares I would've had 10x from it in returns, and I'd be no worse off in practical terms. All I can use Summon for is to move my car backwards and forwards while washing it, "Come to me" is an impossibility due to the very limited range that it works. Autopark almost never identifies a space before I'm already about to park, and when it does it is like someone taking their driving test. NoA is the only half decent thing in the package.

In terms of buying FSD acting as some sort of perpetual coverage for hardware upgrades - it's tough to see how we'll get HW4.0 for free if it involves all of the cameras and Autopilot computer being changed. The idea that cars built in 2019 have the capable looms etc for this seems unrealistic. Tesla could also string out those owners (e.g. me) for an almost indefinite amount of time while they're putting this kit in new cars. It's tough enough for existing owners to get replacement glass, panels, etc - much less components that have microprocessors that Tesla could sell as part of a new car. Tesla are chasing new car sales at the behest of everything else. So, in that respect existing owners who bought FSD could easily end up having to wait several years before being offered that "free retrofit", long past the point they would ordinarily have traded in the car anyway.

I'm planning to ask for a refund of FSD within the next 3 months or so (3 year anniversary of buying the car), if I haven't sold it by then instead. If Tesla fail to give a refund I'll be looking to get it via court.

I bought EAP with my eyes open. To me it was a good balance between functionality on the motorway and price. I am also using it as a hedge against FSD becoming both functional and legally available. My bet is when that happens FSD price will be ramped massively so hopefully by already having EAP the upgrade will not be as bad

No regrets so far

You and me both!
I think that it’s a simple contractual issue that needs to be considered separately in each territory. There is a loss to customers who bought FSD as it has little residual value and hasn’t been delivered in a reasonable timeframe bearing in mind the average duration that owners of new cars keep their vehicles. It was promised to be coming soon (for those that bought it a long time ago) and that hasn’t come to effect.

I’m surprised that more owners haven’t sought recourse from Tesla, but possibly they have and have been compensated in return for not disclosing the settlement.

Reactions: H43lio and Kenners
EAP didn't exist when I got my car, so I got FSD - mainly because Tesla said that "automatic driving on city streets" was "coming later this year" (2020). Obviously that never happened.

EAP started being offered in Europe in 2021 I believe, and I feel strongly that this was a tacit admission by Tesla that:
  1. the price of FSD in Europe was too high relative to the crippled functionality,
  2. that they could not discount FSD without risking the ire of all of those people who had already paid for it,
  3. they couldn't reduce the price of FSD anyway without compromising the FOMO narrative that it will always get more expensive so BUY NOW!
The fact that EAP gives you 99% of the feature set of FSD for half the price speaks volumes. It does not exactly replace FSD, so Tesla can claim that FSD-havers have something extra to justify the extra £3,400 delta. Imagine being asked to pay £3,400 extra for "Traffic Light Stop and Go" today...

Either way neither are worth the price in objective terms. EAP may or may not feel like its worth the money if you do a lot of motorway miles, particuarly as activating Autopilot now enables auto high beam whereas FSD doesn't deactivate AP on a lane change, so there's no reactivation. For some people not having to suffer that might be worth the money.

If I had put the money I spent on FSD into Tesla shares I would've had 10x from it in returns, and I'd be no worse off in practical terms. All I can use Summon for is to move my car backwards and forwards while washing it, "Come to me" is an impossibility due to the very limited range that it works. Autopark almost never identifies a space before I'm already about to park, and when it does it is like someone taking their driving test. NoA is the only half decent thing in the package.

In terms of buying FSD acting as some sort of perpetual coverage for hardware upgrades - it's tough to see how we'll get HW4.0 for free if it involves all of the cameras and Autopilot computer being changed. The idea that cars built in 2019 have the capable looms etc for this seems unrealistic. Tesla could also string out those owners (e.g. me) for an almost indefinite amount of time while they're putting this kit in new cars. It's tough enough for existing owners to get replacement glass, panels, etc - much less components that have microprocessors that Tesla could sell as part of a new car. Tesla are chasing new car sales at the behest of everything else. So, in that respect existing owners who bought FSD could easily end up having to wait several years before being offered that "free retrofit", long past the point they would ordinarily have traded in the car anyway.

I'm planning to ask for a refund of FSD within the next 3 months or so (3 year anniversary of buying the car), if I haven't sold it by then instead. If Tesla fail to give a refund I'll be looking to get it via court.
I remember 1M ( I don't know how many zeros 😔) robotaxi... and my thought was: one more shouldn't make any problems 🙈

Reactions: Giveittomebaby
I bought EAP with my eyes open. To me it was a good balance between functionality on the motorway and price. I am also using it as a hedge against FSD becoming both functional and legally available. My bet is when that happens FSD price will be ramped massively so hopefully by already having EAP the upgrade will not be as bad

No regrets so far

I also bought EAP because I couldn’t afford FSD but wanted to get myself half way there and not get caught out like they have in US and Canada. FSD now costs over $10k over there!

I intend to pay the remaining £3400 for FSD when I can afford it. Until then, at least I have auto lane change - which is often frustrating, but hampered by European regulations which we will hopefully ditch or will be modified at some point soon.

I’m surprised that more owners haven’t sought recourse from Tesla, but possibly they have and have been compensated in return for not disclosing the settlement.

They have, there are various posts on this subject. The only one that Tesla 'lost' I belive was a plaintiff case, owner got compensate $500 I think after lawyer fees, and I persume Tesla also removed those cars from any kind of AP/EAP/FSD development.

Tesla aren't shy of 'lawyering' up, they have done it time and time again on various issues. Good luck to anyone wanting to take them on in the courts.

Reactions: Matt125
My first thought when they added all the features of FSD to EAP was...good...it means finally Beta will get to Europe. I still think that this is on the cards...unfortunately almost every upgrade we receive has some functionality removed due to European laws. So, while I think Tesla would like to add City Streets to FSD..Europe only marches to the beat of Mercedes, BMW and VW

Bollocks.

Nothing to do with so called ‘European’ laws. I think you will find that most of the world are part of the so called ‘European’ group, but some simply opted out of it. Just look at the countries that are part of UNECE on their website.

As for regs crippling Teslas, that’s like saying that any 17 year old can drive a car but they aren’t allowed to. They can, they just have to prove competence first and pass their test, just like Teslas implementation of many of the regs show a complete ineptitude on how to drive so would fail the competency needed to successfully get regulatory approval.

I’m one of the crazy ones that is expecting a delivery next month of a MYP with FSD. Likely HW4.0 Tesla Vision. I’m a great believer in AI as I work with it on a daily basis and know how capable it can be in the future. My circumstances may be different to others as I’m buying my car and keeping it forever so I wanted to make sure it had everything ready for 2023 - 2025 when UK regs allow more technology to be utilised. I admit it’s not worth it right now at all but in 2025 it will be well worth every penny. With all of the crazy Gov politics it’s not going to help things move any faster but the idea of commuting 70 miles whilst chilling watching TV is very appealing