Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP and Trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi -
I am new to all this so if this has been answered please point me in the right direction. Am a new Model 3 owner (picked it up in Chicago on 6/18). Do any of you experience this when you pass a truck with Auto Steer functioning: you are in the left lane and as get close to the truck the car appears to move just a bit to the truck than feels natural. I always keep my hands at 10 & 2 and hold them steady. About half the time the car will go out of Auto Steer. This could be my imagination - maybe I naturally steer a little left when I pass trucks and Auto Steer wants to stay in the middle of the lane - but I swear it drifts to the right. Any thoughts??

Search in the Model S forum for "truck lust." It does seem to be a somewhat common experience people have. My theory why it does this is the aerodynamics when approaching and then alongside the truck are disrupted and creates a slightly lower pressure zone between the two which draws the vehicle to the right. The slight swerving must be within lane holding tolerance and AP does not decide correction is needed. Could be totally wrong, but seems plausible explanation to me anyway.

In the old days, AP used to have a significant problem with this. These days, my AP1 tends to push away from the truck some in the lane. I haven't seen it steer in towards one in months, but YMMV and as you suggested, maybe it isn't steering out as far as you would.

In a related question, if you have both TACC & Autosteer activated and a car in an adjacent lane, either left or right drifts toward the car, does it do a correction by drifting slightly AWAY from the offending vehicle? My I have my car less than a week and my initial is that IT DOES NOT move slightly away. This is important to know in case one need to take control in order to avoid a side swiping accident.

In a related question, if you have both TACC & Autosteer activated and a car in an adjacent lane, either left or right drifts toward the car, does it do a correction by drifting slightly AWAY from the offending vehicle? My I have my car less than a week and my initial is that IT DOES NOT move slightly away. This is important to know in case one need to take control in order to avoid a side swiping accident.

It will if the car gets close enough. It'll even push the steering away from a car that's intruding if you aren't in AP - all based on Ultrasonics, so a little slow to respond, and only when the cars get pretty close.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Thanks
It will if the car gets close enough. It'll even push the steering away from a car that's intruding if you aren't in AP - all based on Ultrasonics, so a little slow to respond, and only when the cars get pretty close.
Thanks! When this happened over the weekend I took over control not wanting to risk an accident to my new car. Plus I"m just getting the feel for the self drive aspects. But I have to say I LOVE TACC & Autosteer!

Thanks! When this happened over the weekend I took over control not wanting to risk an accident to my new car. Plus I"m just getting the feel for the self drive aspects. But I have to say I LOVE TACC & Autosteer!

This is my mode of operation - don't wait to see if Autopilot will react how I want it to react. If there is any question, MANUALLY INTERVENE WITH PLENTY OF TIME TO SPARE! I may only be getting $4,999 worth of benefit out of the $5,000 option, but I'll possibly avoid paying out on my $1,000 insurance deductible, so I'm fine with that tradeoff.

This is my mode of operation - don't wait to see if Autopilot will react how I want it to react. If there is any question, MANUALLY INTERVENE WITH PLENTY OF TIME TO SPARE! I may only be getting $4,999 worth of benefit out of the $5,000 option, but I'll possibly avoid paying out on my $1,000 insurance deductible, so I'm fine with that tradeoff.

This is a wise choice. If you know something is wrong, do the best you can, don't just trust the safety features to react.

On good days, they'll react at the perfect time and with the ideal response, but most people are still smarter than the car so far.