Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP based on FSD or AP software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I turn all the FSD BETA off I’ll have the current production software rendition? I hope this is so. Because if it’s not, having customers do beta testing without protocol limits clearly enunciated is dangerous! Somebody tell me I didn’t waste $200.00 on the production highway version of FSD which I have yet to use? My beef was regarding beta/alpha version. I want to feel good about the company, you know.

So if I turn all the FSD BETA off I’ll have the current production software rendition?
Not quite. You'll still be on the FSD branch, which has some differences from the production branch. If you want back on the production branch, you'll need to ask Tesla to change your car's software branch. IIRC, using the Tesla app on your phone to request this change as a service request should do it -- but I'm emphasizing the word should because I've seen reports that Tesla is very slow to honor such requests. (There's a thread about this somewhere on the forum.)

That said, the differences between the FSD-beta and production branches aren't really huge, AFAIK. I'm afraid I don't have a list of differences or a link to any document or discussion of those differences, though. Many of the changes have to do with non-FSD features; the FSD-beta branch lags behind the production branch on new user interface features, for instance.
I hope this is so. Because if it’s not, having customers do beta testing without protocol limits clearly enunciated is dangerous! Somebody tell me I didn’t waste $200.00 on the production highway version of FSD which I have yet to use? My beef was regarding beta/alpha version. I want to feel good about the company, you know.
As you can see by perusing this forum, there are a lot of people who are quite critical of Tesla's FSD; but there are others who are boosters of the technology. Given that the flat-out purchase price is $15,000 (or $9,000 on top of EAP), $200 to subscribe to it for one month is trivial in comparison. If you don't like it, you're probably best off just canceling the subscription, considering the $200 to be part of the price of the car (that's a psychological coping mechanism, not accounting advice), optionally asking to be shifted onto the production software branch, and moving on. Keep your eye on the discussion forums, or come back in a year or so to see how the feature has improved, if you remain interested in possible changes.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if EAP is based on the FSD stack or the autopilot software stack? Couldn't find a definite answer when searching around.

Thanks!
You'll have to ask your question more precisely...what do you mean "based on"?

EAP works differently on the FSDb build than it does on mainline build (at least this was the case 3 months ago when I could do A/B comparison between the two builds on two different Model 3s). How differently, and why? That's less clear.

But for instance one example of EAP working differently between the beta and mainline builds is that during my morning commute, the mainline build would need my intervention to take a highway exit, while the FSDb build didn't.

So now with FSD V11 going to single stack with production highway AP, will all cars with AP and/or EAP benefit from the FSD stack on highway driving?
That would be the plan, but it may be a ways off yet. The beta FSD v11 will likely only go to people that have purchased FSD and opt in to the beta. I wouldn't expect the V11 stack to go into a normal production release for at least another 6 months.