Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP + Carpool + motorcycles = painful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since 101 is a parking lot on all lanes, I just stay away from the hov lanes so I don’t have to deal with the motorcycles. Some are really cool, but some are just inconsiderate jerks. If they want to protect them, just send them to the breakdown lane and get it over with. They will avoid all the cars changing lanes, cars have no reason to hit them other than trying to commit attempted murder and since motorcycle drivers pay attention all the time. They can avoid whatever people leave in the breakdown lane. They have no reason to be between cars, feels like we are in Egypt sometimes.

Reactions: commasign
Lane splitting was permitted in 1975 when I started riding. So there's that.

You are not obliged to 'move over', just stay in the center of your 12' wide lane (the legal lane width) with your 7' wide car. That's it. Nothing else desired or required.
I wish. Motorcyclists constantly act like car drivers are jerks if we want to maintain in our lane without moving over. I wouldn't have half the problem with lanesplitting if this wasn't the case. You want to weave in and out of small gaps fine, but don't expect everyone for miles to swerve out of their lanes to give you more clearance. If you have to slow down until an adequate gap opens up, so be it.

Avoid zig-zagging like a 16 year old who's mom bought him a BMW. Use those weird flashing lights that warn others you want to change lanes. Stay off the phone. When you need to use the phone, stay off the phone, except when it's really important. In that case, stay off the phone.

IIRC, motorcycles were permitted to use the HOV lanes before Teslas were ever made. Trust me, car drivers are 10 times more hostile to motorcycles on all kinds of roads and all situations, than MC's are hostile to cars. I've been on both sides. Today's car drivers are least talented drivers of all time. Darwinism selects motorcyclists. Airbags piss in the gene pool for car drivers. They live to be dumb another day.

"Even in normal circumstances" I detest folk who believe they are so important that answering a text or cell call is worth another human's life. That is what will kill you, not motorcycles running into you.
I know there are tons of bad car drivers AND motorcyclists but that isn't the point of my comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
Motorcycles lane splitting is an accident waiting to happen, and the motorcyclists will get the bad end of the stick. Why can't they wait in line like everybody else? If cars have to go slow due to traffic, so should they. I've had, and have seen many close calls, of motorcycles swerving in and out at high speed almost taking out the side mirrors of the cars, and having a bad attitude towards the other motorists.

Motorcycles lane splitting is an accident waiting to happen, and the motorcyclists will get the bad end of the stick. Why can't they wait in line like everybody else? If cars have to go slow due to traffic, so should they. I've had, and have seen many close calls, of motorcycles swerving in and out at high speed almost taking out the side mirrors of the cars, and having a bad attitude towards the other motorists.

Because you will slam into the back of my bike and kill me. Or you will be beside me, and make a rapid lane change into me without even looking. You won't be punished for it at all. It's like killing bicyclists or pedestrians. It's expected. Being incompetent to drive a car is legal. That's why we call them accidents instead of crashes.

I've been riding for ... 43 years. Never had an accident while splitting. Can't say that about when I ride where the cars drive. That's lethal. You make left turns without looking, you change lanes without looking, you blow red lights and stop signs without looking, and on and on. You just don't drive as well as a group anymore.

Heck, you hit freeway abutments, armored cars, fire engines, cop SUVs that are LARGE and directly in your front view.

Last edited:
Reactions: robby
We need AV cars as soon as possible. We as a species are de-evolving more rapidly than safety engineering can keep up with. Our death rate is rising quicker than we can put anti-idiot systems in place.

Seriously, this is a very common thread on many car boards, or it's companion thread, "Bicycles should be banned".

Share the road. Drive like you should. Like you were taught. Relax.

It's not actually difficult to drive a normal car on a public road safely if you keep your eyes moving, leave following distance, look far ahead, and anticipate the possible actions of others. Crashes are virtually always driver error related to these concepts. Even if somebody else screws up, you should be able to avoid a crash if you follow them.

I rode BMW motorcycles 50 years. Yes, car drivers are unaware. But the current crop of cyclists (or are they bikers?) are also unaware. They don't watch, they do swerve and drive the on the line between cars, hot rod, and are often noisy enough they can't hear what's going on around them. And on top of that, many are young and inexperienced. And when they have an "accident", it causes a lot more injury. I, too, never had an accident while "splitting", but my kind of splitting was more lane changing. I didn't drive between cars in adjacent lanes. You had to be alert and aware, awake and watching at all times.

By the way, I spent a lot of time riding around the La Sierra hills on my Beemer. Back then (60 years ago), Norco was horse country.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Lane splitting through congested, low speed traffic can be handy for a motorcyclist. Both they and their bikes need some airflow to keep from overheating.

When it is done at higher speeds the risk to the biker is so much greater and the benefit is not to cooling, but sneaking up in line.

For me, Land splitting OK when going is slow, but deadly to try at higher speeds.

Not sure why any biker would even consider lane splitting at higher speeds in these times of mobile cell phone use.

I rode BMW motorcycles 50 years. Yes, car drivers are unaware. But the current crop of cyclists (or are they bikers?) are also unaware. They don't watch, they do swerve and drive the on the line between cars, hot rod, and are often noisy enough they can't hear what's going on around them. And on top of that, many are young and inexperienced. And when they have an "accident", it causes a lot more injury. I, too, never had an accident while "splitting", but my kind of splitting was more lane changing. I didn't drive between cars in adjacent lanes. You had to be alert and aware, awake and watching at all times.

By the way, I spent a lot of time riding around the La Sierra hills on my Beemer. Back then (60 years ago), Norco was horse country.
Yes, Norco is still Horsetown USA. Instead of sidewalks we have dirt horse trails, stores have hitching posts, parks have corrals, etc. We no longer have horses but most our neighbors do.

The new demographic for organ donors is 50 something first time riders. When I took my son to defensive driving for MCs about 1/2 fit in that category. It used to be young men dying when I first started riding.

Lane splitting through congested, low speed traffic can be handy for a motorcyclist. Both they and their bikes need some airflow to keep from overheating.

When it is done at higher speeds the risk to the biker is so much greater and the benefit is not to cooling, but sneaking up in line.

For me, Land splitting OK when going is slow, but deadly to try at higher speeds.

Not sure why any biker would even consider lane splitting at higher speeds in these times of mobile cell phone use.

Speed delta is everything as well as always having an 'out' if somebody lane changes rapidly.

Because you will slam into the back of my bike and kill me. Or you will be beside me, and make a rapid lane change into me without even looking. You won't be punished for it at all. It's like killing bicyclists or pedestrians. It's expected. Being incompetent to drive a car is legal. That's why we call them accidents instead of crashes.

I've been riding for ... 43 years. Never had an accident while splitting. Can't say that about when I ride where the cars drive. That's lethal. You make left turns without looking, you change lanes without looking, you blow red lights and stop signs without looking, and on and on. You just don't drive as well as a group anymore.

Heck, you hit freeway abutments, armored cars, fire engines, cop SUVs that are LARGE and directly in your front view.
Please. There's just as many (percentage wise) bad motorcyclists. There's just less of you. And I can't help it if your chosen vehicles make you much harder to see and offer you no protection.

Please. There's just as many (percentage wise) bad motorcyclists. There's just less of you. And I can't help it if your chosen vehicles make you much harder to see and offer you no protection.

One of our work vehicles is a 7' high truck that is Fire Engine red. People can't see that either. Nor real fire trucks, armored cars, police SUVs, semi-trucks, etc.

If you cannot see an object the size of a motorcycle with it's headlight on, are you sure driving is wise?

I have so much to say...

First I have been commuting on motorcycles for 30+ years without an incident. Luckily most of my incidents were on the race track.

Second commuting has caused me to worry about the future of mankind. The stupid drivers and riders are out of control. Road rage is insane.

I record my commute and collect data (yes I have issues). The data is amazing.

Do you know a "P" Tesla is 3 times more likely to disengage AP to move to the left than a non "P"
I passed 7 model 3s on this mornings commute.
I average 3 cars on my home commute without headlights - who turns off auto headlights???
I average 2 cars watching videos or facetiming on the morning commute
When I ride a loud motorcycle more people move to block me splitting. More people move over to let me pass - less do nothing.
When I ride a quiet motorcycle people continue doing makeup, shaving, eating, texting...without being disturbed by my motorcycle or driving.

Texting and texting while using AP is what will probably cause my death. The data shows it is only a matter of time.

I would be happy if everyone just paid attention.

PS - I split slow. I get passed more on my morning commute by other motorcycles than I did at Thunder HIll raceway Monday.

One of our work vehicles is a 7' high truck that is Fire Engine red. People can't see that either. Nor real fire trucks, armored cars, police SUVs, semi-trucks, etc.

If you cannot see an object the size of a motorcycle with it's headlight on, are you sure driving is wise?
If you can't see that riding a vehicle with a much smaller profile that tends to pass much faster (closing speed higher) and shoot the gaps makes them in general harder to see/track, then maybe you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

I have so much to say...

First I have been commuting on motorcycles for 30+ years without an incident. Luckily most of my incidents were on the race track.

Second commuting has caused me to worry about the future of mankind. The stupid drivers and riders are out of control. Road rage is insane.

I record my commute and collect data (yes I have issues). The data is amazing.

Do you know a "P" Tesla is 3 times more likely to disengage AP to move to the left than a non "P"
I passed 7 model 3s on this mornings commute.
I average 3 cars on my home commute without headlights - who turns off auto headlights???
I average 2 cars watching videos or facetiming on the morning commute
When I ride a loud motorcycle more people move to block me splitting. More people move over to let me pass - less do nothing.
When I ride a quiet motorcycle people continue doing makeup, shaving, eating, texting...without being disturbed by my motorcycle or driving.

Texting and texting while using AP is what will probably cause my death. The data shows it is only a matter of time.

I would be happy if everyone just paid attention.

PS - I split slow. I get passed more on my morning commute by other motorcycles than I did at Thunder HIll raceway Monday.
Very interesting observations.

No one else is having EAP phantom braking or acceleration issues when a lane splitting bike passes? It happens to me at least once a day on the way to work, mostly in light medium speed traffic. I'm worried a tailgater behind me may end up hitting me as a bike goes by.

A few weeks ago a motorcyclist splitting lanes was trying to flip pretty much every cars mirror forward. Scared the you know what out of me when he went by. Luckily the MS mirror flips forward with no damage, that guy was just asking to be taken out by someone.