Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Coming Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California is about to force Tesla to stop selling and disable FSD since it is not truly autonomous and violates California law. Tesla will get around this by going back to calling it EAP.

Keith
I suggest Tesla use the following naming convention:

Basic Auto Pilot (BAP)
Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP)
Advanced Auto Pilot (AAP)

But what do I know.

I'm glad I bit the bullet and opted for FSD ~2 years ago for $5k. Prices are always going to bounce around and it was nice not having to think about it.

Yes. Was mentioned on Daerik weekly video. FSD rumored to go to $14k as well.
I paid $7k for FSD and use auto lane change a lot - my favorite "FSD" feature. I think a $4k EAP is a great option.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I'm glad I bit the bullet and opted for FSD ~2 years ago for $5k. Prices are always going to bounce around and it was nice not having to think about it.

I bit the bullet back then too, then when I sold the car, got literally nothing for it.

So this go around, made complete sense to skip it altogether. Between subscription and tiering plus the limited value FSD actually gives you, it was an easy decision.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
On the other hand, there will be the subscription FSD option. If it's about $100 a month that makes more sense than buying it for $10K. I only plan on keeping my Y for 3 years due to technology advancements that seem to be greatest at the 3-year mark with Tesla's.

On the other hand, there will be the subscription FSD option. If it's about $100 a month that makes more sense than buying it for $10K. I only plan on keeping my Y for 3 years due to technology advancements that seem to be greatest at the 3-year mark with Tesla's.
No way is it $100/month. I'm thinking more like $300. with maybe a minimum number of months you have to have it before you can cancel. I do recall Elon saying that it will be a better deal financially to buy it outright vs the subscription.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I can't see how EAP will be $4K with rumor that FSD will be $14K. More realistic in my mind is EAP for $10K and FSD for $14K, and I agree that $275 - $300/mo for the subscription. Either way, I think $10K, and the absurd new possible price of $14K for FSD is nuts. But I can't blame Tesla for charging this much if they feel they will get substantial purchases at this price. Unfortunately this feels like where Tesla could go wrong with their strategy. I feel the continued price hike only makes EVs look more out-of-reach for the majority of buyers. $300 is a full car payment for many. Even with avg. new car selling price in the US where it is, most cannot drop $14K additional on an ICE let alone an EV that is traditionally more than an ICE.

I thought about going in when EAP was $4K, but I still don't seem to regret it. I use AP extensively, but it makes pretty major mistakes on every trip, and sometimes I need to disable it when it becomes a nuisance at least once per trip (especially if I'm in the right lane, and there is an exit to my right - geez).

I think the subscription based FSD is because they are not getting enough takers on $10K to be a beta tester for the system. I think that to get more beta testers they will be offering the subscription plan at a reasonable price. If they offer it at an UNreasonable price, they will not get the influx of beta testers that they are looking for.

Keith

PS: If I am wrong, then they will not have me as a Beta tester... if I am right then they will have me as a beta tester on any road trips I take. The ball is in their court :)

Reactions: Donncha
$300/month for FSD makes the most sense. It would take less than 3 years to reach the $10k. If they really increase to $14k, then I’m not sure, $450/month would make absolutely no sense. That’s a full car payment.
I am really interested in seeing what the subscription offer looks like though. Someone suggested on another thread breaking it down by feature. If that’s possible, I’d be really interested. I’m ready to pay $50/month for auto-lane change, as it’s really the only thing I’m actually interested in in the EAP. But I’m not sure how much business sense it makes, or if it’s even technically possible (although I don’t see why not).

Or just turn on turn signal. Like everything with these cars, you can do it all yourself, it’s just a convenience thing. Auto lane change isn’t worth $4k, but that’s not all that EAP is though. There are 4 things in EAP. I might pay $1k for auto lane change, I’d have to ponder.

Reactions: dogmodes