Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP constantly saying "autosteer temporarily not available"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if other owners with EAP get the "autosteer temporarily not available" warning a lot when they try and turn EAP on. Whenever I first try and turn EAP on when I get onto the freeway (I have a 27 mile commute to work) EAP almost always barks at me 3 or 4 times before it will turn on. Even if I'm on a middle lane of a 3 lane freeway and there are no cars around me, often EAP won't turn on with the above warning error. Is this pretty common? It does eventually turn on, but almost always after many failed attempts. This happens when I first get on the freeway but also after I've been driving on it for a few miles or more.

I am curious if other owners with EAP get the "autosteer temporarily not available" warning a lot when they try and turn EAP on. Whenever I first try and turn EAP on when I get onto the freeway (I have a 27 mile commute to work) EAP almost always barks at me 3 or 4 times before it will turn on. Even if I'm on a middle lane of a 3 lane freeway and there are no cars around me, often EAP won't turn on with the above warning error. Is this pretty common? It does eventually turn on, but almost always after many failed attempts. This happens when I first get on the freeway but also after I've been driving on it for a few miles or more.

I find that almost every time that happens I tried to turn it on immediately after turn or lane change/merge. If I wait a few seconds it doesn't happen. Seems like it takes a few seconds to recognize the lane marking.

I'm not sure why it's not allowing it in your case, but I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't need to have failed attempts. The steering wheel icon will show up when auto steer becomes available, prior to that you will get the warning. Rather than just trying it over and over again, next time try to pay attention to how long it takes before the icon comes up. For me it's often 5 to 10 seconds after I've last switched lanes, but not longer than that.

I'm not sure why it's not allowing it in your case, but I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't need to have failed attempts. The steering wheel icon will show up when auto steer becomes available, prior to that you will get the warning. Rather than just trying it over and over again, next time try to pay attention to how long it takes before the icon comes up. For me it's often 5 to 10 seconds after I've last switched lanes, but not longer than that.

Not every time. Sometimes the markings are not very clear and that icon could appear and by the time you try to turn auto-steer on it will disappear. At some places you could see the icon coming up and going away repeatedly.

This is something I definitely didn't realize until I started researching the issue. I think I assumed the grey icon was always on until you turned EAP on and it went blue. I'm not sure I've noticed it ever not being on. Probably because the times I'm looking for it are the times I'm trying to turn EAP on. I'll make sure to start watching the icon when I first get onto the freeway so I can see how long it's taking to recognize markings and enabling EAP. I've been having a lot of issues with EAP causing my car to drastically slow down on the freeway lately. To the point that I question if my car would stop if I didn't take over control. I'm talking going from 70mph to 30mph in a couple seconds, before I take over and bring it back up to speed. This has happened numerous times this week and when there has been no cars in front of me and none coming into my lane. I've reports the bugs via voice command, but it makes me very nervous about what the car is "seeing". In fact, it happened twice on the same trip that I was giving my mother a ride some place. She already hates when I turn EAP on and has told me she doesn't trust it and doesn't want me using it with my kids in the car. You can imagine how she took my car slamming the breaks on the freeway for no apparent reason.....

I think I assumed the grey icon was always on until you turned EAP on and it went blue. I'm not sure I've noticed it ever not being on.
Without taking your eyes off the road for more than a fraction of a second, start checking for the presence of the gray steering wheel icon regularly, on city streets and highways. You will find that the grey icon is often not available. That may explain your difficulties engaging EAP.

Without taking your eyes off the road for more than a fraction of a second, start checking for the presence of the gray steering wheel icon regularly, on city streets and highways. You will find that the grey icon is often not available. That may explain your difficulties engaging EAP.

I did just that, last night. And indeed the icon was often not available. Amazing what we don't notice when we're not looking for it ;) The learning continues!

I've been having a lot of issues with EAP causing my car to drastically slow down on the freeway lately. To the point that I question if my car would stop if I didn't take over control. I'm talking going from 70mph to 30mph in a couple seconds, before I take over and bring it back up to speed.
I do not know how many seconds you define “a couple” to be (strictly speaking, “a couple” would be 2) but to go from 70 to 30mph in two seconds is a massive amount of deceleration. If that is truly happening that is very dangerous, the equivalent of suddenly applying the brakes at full force. If my Teslas did that I would not ever drive them except to get them to my local service center immediately. That is not acceptable behavior while on EAP.

You do not say if you have had Tesla service look at the car. Why not? Submitting a bug report through the car is not going to solve the issue.

That said, I suspect you are exaggerating, something people often do when describing a problem. An oft reported EAP issue on TMC is sometimes described as “shadow braking”: the car brakes on the highway for no apparent reason, slowing about 5-10mph and then resuming. Some people believe this happens because the shadow cast by an overpass, for example, confuses the car into thinking it is an obstacle.

Over the years I have had that happen multiple times; the car rarely decreases speed more than 5mph and then resumes or I press the accelerator to resume speed before the car does. I have not had it happen for months now; it think the issue is much less frequent than it ws before.

You should take your car into Tesla service for a check up.

I've
I do not know how many seconds you define “a couple” to be (strictly speaking, “a couple” would be 2) but to go from 70 to 30mph in two seconds is a massive amount of deceleration. If that is truly happening that is very dangerous, the equivalent of suddenly applying the brakes at full force. If my Teslas did that I would not ever drive them except to get them to my local service center immediately. That is not acceptable behavior while on EAP.

You do not say if you have had Tesla service look at the car. Why not? Submitting a bug report through the car is not going to solve the issue.

That said, I suspect you are exaggerating, something people often do when describing a problem. An oft reported EAP issue on TMC is sometimes described as “shadow braking”: the car brakes on the highway for no apparent reason, slowing about 5-10mph and then resuming. Some people believe this happens because the shadow cast by an overpass, for example, confuses the car into thinking it is an obstacle.

Over the years I have had that happen multiple times; the car rarely decreases speed more than 5mph and then resumes or I press the accelerator to resume speed before the car does. I have not had it happen for months now; it think the issue is much less frequent than it ws before.

You should take your car into Tesla service for a check up.

The deceleration was drastic. It's hard to say the exact numbers because it happened very fast and I needed to take over control of the car very quickly. But it was drastic enough to really scare my mother who was in the car. It seemed like the car thought I was about to rear-end a non-existent car. It would not classify my comments as an exaggeration. I know I was going about 70, and I know it completely slammed on the breaks for a minimum of a second before I took over. I actually gave it a "grace period" before I reacted because I was trying to figure out what the heck was causing it to stop and wanted to see if it would correct itself. So in reality, what happened, and I'm sure of this, is that it slammed on the breaks, and I took over after a minimum of a second and gave it gas, then I let it take over again and it started slamming the break again, so then I took completely over and turned off EAP. So there was actually two separate breaking actions. I then logged a bug via voice command.

I have emailed Tesla service center about this in the past, it's happened on numerous occasions since it was delivered at the beginning of September. They came back with "can't reproduce". Which is also what they say about all my continue MCU/bluetooth/phone issues. At some point you just stop asking about issues because they don't have any answers and the time to address them. I had a mobile service center appointment last week to replace a light and the guy was very helpful and answered some of my questions about issues I've been having but he also told me the regular SC is slammed with work right now and I'm not the only one experiencing some of the issues but they can't keep up and just don't have solutions yet to some of them.

I have another service appointment at the regular SC this week so I'll be sure to bring up the sudden stopping in person. At my appointment would they be able to bring up the bugs I logged to make it easier to see why it slammed on the breaks? I'll press to make sure they pull the logs for the time I reported the bug if it's actually worth the effort. But I suspect I'll just get the same "can't reproduce" answer.