Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP didn't function during long drive home, fixed now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My autopilot picked the worst possible time to go completely out - was really looking forward to using it during the 3+ hour drive home yesterday, but within a couple minutes after departing it became clear that EAP was completely nonfunctional. The first sign of trouble was a big black rectangle where the backup camera should have been. Driving down the road, we had no lane markings, no radar returns, no speed limit, and the headlights were stuck on in the middle of the day. We got the occasional sonar ping but that's it. We called Tesla service, and they had us park, power off the car, do the steering wheel reset etc but no joy. So they logged the issue, and we drove home without even functional cruise control. On the phone they said there was no communication between the components - I'm guessing the camera unit in front wasn't coming up properly since the lights were stuck on.

Car drove great otherwise - nav worked fine, tons of stability and passing power even at speeds up to, uh, 65 mph :-D

Tesla texted me this morning to notify me that the issue was caused by a firmware bug, and that they were pushing an update to my car to fix it. I didn't engage EAP but could tell the system was operating, as the lane markers and radar returns were back. I have to say my wife wasn't feeling secure about our vehicle choice yesterday, but was impressed by the rapid turnaround time on the fix.

Anything like this happen to anyone else?

My Model X with the new Intel MCU (which I think is similar to the system in the Model 3) was experiencing Autopilot "crashes". It would just suddenly disable and be gone. After a firmware update, the problem seems to be resolved. This has been my experience with my Model S and X over the past 5+ years... you just have to get used to being a beta tester :)