Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP disappeared/not there after private party purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2018 Model X (built December 2017) with HW 2.5.

The original owner (who purchased it from Tesla) sold it to a dealer from whom I bought it a few weeks ago.
The original documents were not there, so after I took it in for some service (load floor missing and front shelf under screen) recently, I requested a copy of the original window sticker. After some back and forth with some places, I was provided with a copy of the original window sticker today.
The window sticker includes Enhanced Autopilot as an added option for $5000.
The car however only has the basic current autopilot features (autosteer, cruise).
In the app, nothing about summon or anything else is there which is a part of enhanced autopilot also. In the "upgrades" section, just "autopilot" is listed as purchased along with the option to add FSD for $7K.

This feature should be there as it is a feature on the original window sticker provided to me directly by Tesla.
Any suggestions on what to do about this/ how to go about getting these features?

I should note it is a relatively low mileage clean title car.

I recently purchased a 2018 Model X (built December 2017) with HW 2.5.

The original owner (who purchased it from Tesla) sold it to a dealer from whom I bought it a few weeks ago.
The original documents were not there, so after I took it in for some service (load floor missing and front shelf under screen) recently, I requested a copy of the original window sticker. After some back and forth with some places, I was provided with a copy of the original window sticker today.
The window sticker includes Enhanced Autopilot as an added option for $5000.
The car however only has the basic current autopilot features (autosteer, cruise).
In the app, nothing about summon or anything else is there which is a part of enhanced autopilot also. In the "upgrades" section, just "autopilot" is listed as purchased along with the option to add FSD for $7K.

This feature should be there as it is a feature on the original window sticker provided to me directly by Tesla.
Any suggestions on what to do about this/ how to go about getting these features?

I should note it is a relatively low mileage clean title car.

...dealer...

What counts is what you got from the dealer, not what the original owner got it from Tesla.

That means, if your dealer sold you cheaper wheels, then that's what agreed to pay for the cheaper wheels even after that you look up from Tesla Monroney Sticker saying that it came with more expensive wheels.

Yes, it did come with more expensive wheels but it came from Tesla, not from your dealer!

I don't see how this applies to software especially.

Yes, it's applicable to software as well.

If I go to Goodwill and bought an almost brand new laptop but it's loaded with Windows 98.

I then went to the IBM's website and look up the spec, and it's supposed to come with Windows 10.

I can't go to complain to IBM but I have to go back to Goodwill and complain.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60
Your problem is with the dealer who sold you the car.

Tesla sells some softward packages (Free Supercharging) that only transfers once. When you go through an independant dealership they get that featured transfered, but that uses up the qualifying transfer. When they resell it, that transfer has expired and you get what you get.

Tesla sells some softward packages (Free Supercharging) that only transfers once. When you go through an independant dealership they get that featured transfered, but that uses up the qualifying transfer. When they resell it, that transfer has expired and you get what you get.
Wow, does this mean:
1. So if I sell directly to private party my MX with FSD it will transfer FSD to the new owner?
1a. Will that second owner be able to transfer FSD to the 3rd owner?

2. If I sell the car to a dealer and dealer does not "transfer" or "activate" the FSD in their name then sell the car to a buyer, that buyer will be able to activate FSD?

1. Can transfer only once in most cases. As long as original owner keeps car he gets free supercharging. If he resells it, that person/company also gets free supercharging, but cannot transfer it again.

2. If dealer "jumps the title" then new owner may get the free supercharging, but that is highly illegal. Dealer cannot sell a car that they do not own. Work around is that if you sell through a non dealership broker, they might just act as an Escrow, and the supercharging may transfer.

If it is a leasing company, they are the first owner of the vehicle. They should be able to transfer the free supercharging to the next buyer.

Window sticker only represents what the manufacturer is selling to the original purchaser. Does not guarantee that all these items will still be on the car when the next buyer takes ownership. When buying as a used car it may have different tires/wheels/stereo/brake pads/mufflers etc.

Biggest point is that if you buy from a licensed independent dealership, the benefits may not transfer. If dealership tells you they would (in writing) you have a good case against that dealership.

When Tesla takes in a Tesla trade in, they often will remove FSD or Free Supercharging. Legal for them to do so, as they own the car and can make modifications they wish. Example is that they can put on different tires, align the car, change brake pads etc, update software, etc.

The only time I have heard that happening is when at some point in the ownership life-cycle, Tesla at some point bought the vehicle back and removed the feature. If you can prove the cars pedigree, you should be able to force Tesla to honor the original purchase.

Here is a related link Tesla finally returns Autopilot to second-hand Model S owner
It sounds like this car had EAP reduced to AP, which sounds like a mistake. I don’t read every post here but have never heard of this situation even when Tesla owned a used car. However after reading the two threads created by the OP, it is at least clear this situation needs an intense discussion between OP and Tesla. I wonder if the EAP was deleted and what is currently installed is a trial AP that also will soon disappear. Yikes.

Tesla has told me that the first owner (who ordered the car from Tesla) changed the configuration before the order was completed and he took delivery but they person I spoke to said he cannot provide me any sales documents as they have the info of the first owner on them. However, the account (which they have the ability to change at any time) also displays EAP, and the window sticker, which they gave my themselves earlier today, displays EAP as added on the car. It was sold to me as having EAP by the dealer and I believed it because even the Tesla account still shows EAP as being on the car and their own (current) window sticker. I will try to reach out to the original owner to better understand this.

Tesla has told me that the first owner (who ordered the car from Tesla) changed the configuration before the order was completed and he took delivery but they person I spoke to said he cannot provide me any sales documents as they have the info of the first owner on them. However, the account (which they have the ability to change at any time) also displays EAP, and the window sticker, which they gave me themselves earlier today, displays EAP as added on the car. It was sold to me as having EAP by the dealer and I believed it because even the Tesla account still shows EAP as being on the car and their own (current) window sticker. I will try to reach out to the original owner to better understand this.

Last edited:
I don't see how this applies to software especially.

Tesla is just like a computer on wheels.

Its software-enabled features may be in the grey zone.

Recent famous cases are: Already enabled, already paid Full Self Driving and Ludicrous features in a used car but they were later taken away by Tesla unless the payment is paid again.

One Full Self Driving owner got it back without paying additionally thanks to the press but that's not the case for those other Ludicrous feature owners.

The traditional rule of buying a used car is: What you see is what you got. If there were 4 wheels before but you saw only 3 wheels and you still bought it, you got 3 wheels, not 4 wheels.

That should be the same way with other software-enabled features as well but again, we are at the mercy of Tesla's interpretation.

I agree that it is problematic if I bought a used 75 kWh car but later on, Tesla could take it back over-the-air and turn it into 60 kWh car unless I want to pay the extra money to restore it back 75 kWh.

In summary, I feel sorry for you but I have no solution for you.

Last edited:
Tesla can do what they want with a trade car. the take in If you buy are car from anyone, Tesla does not have the right to remove any feature unless that option to do so was listed in the original purchase agreement. When a car is sold as equipped the manufacturer doe sot have the right to remove features of any kind unless stated in the original purchase agreement. Tesla doe snot have the infinite option to decide who gets what.