Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP disappeared/not there after private party purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see, thank you for the clarification.
I dont have any way of contacting the first owner to verify what Tesla is telling me and they aren't providing any sort of documentation to me to prove that the online account is also wrong.

It occurred to me that your VIN build date would only have FSD/EAP on the original option codes. Your car is a bit of an outlier given the build and title dates so the software for the website might not have the setup for that year with that feature set.

There weren’t many cars sold like yours.

I see, one rep also kept telling me to check documents that should be in my Tesla account according to him (he knew it was not purchased by me from Tesla). He looked and he also wasn't able to find any documents on his end for me.

If you buy a used Tesla (not from Tesla) are you supposed to have any documents in your account?

Tesla not honoring inventory listing EAP option : teslamotors

As I see here from multiple experiences, 2018 inventory cars that did have EAP on them could not be purchased with EAP after Feb 2019.
That would mean someone at Tesla is lying if they say they offered this option to this first owner and they supposedly have paperwork saying it was removed at the first owner request before purchase.

Again, Tesla is not very good at this stuff. I’d argue that someone on the sales side effed up in the linked thread and the buyer had the option to walk away.

Tesla communications, particularly then with the 3 ramping up, were/are atrocious.

In any event your car was built with EAP, could be sold with EAP, and if it wasn’t it could be downgraded to basic Autosteer like you have.

These are not hardware things and Tesla changes by the day sometimes. You probably have the correct software and absent the original purchase agreement showing otherwise you’re going to be pushing string to change anything.

If you piss someone off it could result in them saying 2017 cars didn’t have the option of basic Autosteer (they technically didn’t) and they pull the TACC and Autosteer that you have. Remember, you don’t have the original agreement to say that they put basic autopilot on the car due to it being sold new in 2019.

If the car had only Autosteer and TACC when you signed on the dotted line, that’s what you got. I’d say relax and enjoy the car and you got what you paid for.

Totally possible for an online account, controled by Tesla to display the wrong thing.

Like I said, mine has the wrong supercharging and warranty status for a car I bought brand new. It’s definitely possible.

Also you have a 2017 model with a software configuration introduced in 2019. It’s even more likely that your page is goofed up in this regard.

It’s Tesla. Expect a remarkable car that you’ll love and, well, nothing else. They’re getting less bad in their weak areas (communication, service) but you’re not dealing with Mercedes Benz here.

@mtndrew1 Thing is I bought it thinking it had EAP and because I had heard of Monroneys for Teslas not being accurate, I made sure it was listed on the Tesla account because I thought that was trustworthy. I will try reaching out to the dealer to get the info of the first owner to try to contact him/her.

@mtndrew1 Thing is I bought it thinking it had EAP and because I had heard of Monroneys for Teslas not being accurate, I made sure it was listed on the Tesla account because I thought that was trustworthy. I will try reaching out to the dealer to get the info of the first owner to try to contact him/her.

I don’t mean to be rude but really, it ain’t gonna happen.

If the car didn’t have the EAP features on the test drive then you got what you paid for. If you buy a used car with aftermarket wheels and the Monroney listed factory alloys with summer tires, you get what the car has when it was on the lot and you agreed to take it home.

This is a new world because it’s software but you get the idea.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If Tesla gives you contact info of prior owner that would be shocking.

Then wouldn't the online account indicate basic autopilot and not say enhanced autopilot?

Not necessarily. The online account has the original option code. If you’re buying OTA then it should automatically update.

But SC also have the option to plug in and update firmware locally. In that case there’s a verification process, but the profile update is up to the SC. Tow mode as an example are dealer enabled items. And at a certain point in time, dealers would comp software things. Which causes issues because they’re not “paid for”

If one goes through the old threads, people will commonly see discounts on “showroom cars” This car being built in 2017 and sold in 2019 tells me this was a showroom car. It was most likely discounted for miles, but options could also be disabled or enabled to allow additional price adjustments.

Prime example would be early days people were buying P90DL and requesting the L to be removed to save $15,000 off the price as an example. Those cars would have the upgraded fuse. Build sheets and stickers would show it as having L. Even the badge would be L. But it wouldn’t have been paid for or enabled for the 1st owner.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I would think your leverage here is with the Dealer where you purchased the car. If they advertised it had EAP but it does not, then they should financially adjust the deal accordingly. If the car only had AP when you purchased it and EAP or FSD is not mentioned in your paperwork from the dealer, then the dealer delivered as promised. Any previous owners or Tesla are not parties in your purchase transaction.

Last edited:
...But you are saying the wheels were on the Monroney not a supplemental sticker.)

Yes. In my case, the Price the Option on the Monroney Sticker was wrong because I asked for a lower price and I got the cheaper wheels but I brought home the same original Monroney Sticker even though it's no longer correct.

However, what's correct was the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement.