Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP disappeared/not there after private party purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has told me that the first owner (who ordered the car from Tesla) changed the configuration before the order was completed and he took delivery but they person I spoke to said he cannot provide me any sales documents as they have the info of the first owner on them. However, the account (which they have the ability to change at any time) also displays EAP, and the window sticker, which they gave my themselves earlier today, displays EAP as added on the car. It was sold to me as having EAP by the dealer and I believed it because even the Tesla account still shows EAP as being on the car and their own (current) window sticker. I will try to reach out to the original owner to better understand this.

Maybe it depends on how late in the purchase the original owner had it removed, but I had Autopilot removed from an inventory model (back before AP became standard) and my window sticker was re-printed to remove it from there as well.

I'm wondering if EAP falls into a grey area with ownership transfer because it's no longer offered (split into base AP and FSD)...

Best of luck figuring out the situation. Honestly I think dealerships need to be responsible for determining exactly what software comes with a pre-owned vehicle. Maybe Tesla needs to offer some sort of look-up service where you can enter a VIN and receive the list of transferable software packages.

@verygreen

To clarify and be fair to them, exactly what they told me was that "So it looks like the vehicle was configured with the enhanced Autopilot on the sales lot. However the first owner made adjustments to lower the overall price of the vehicle before purchase."

and they said that the original owner removed EAP before buying it....

Would what you're saying still be correct?

Maybe it depends on how late in the purchase the original owner had it removed, but I had Autopilot removed from an inventory model (back before AP became standard) and my window sticker was re-printed to remove it from there as well.

I'm wondering if EAP falls into a grey area with ownership transfer because it's no longer offered (split into base AP and FSD)...

Best of luck figuring out the situation. Honestly I think dealerships need to be responsible for determining exactly what software comes with a pre-owned vehicle. Maybe Tesla needs to offer some sort of look-up service where you can enter a VIN and receive the list of transferable software packages.

Thanks for letting me know about this. Was it removed from your account also?
This window sticker was printed today at a Tesla Service Center and the account also shows EAP as being on the car.

...This window sticker was printed today at a Tesla Service Center and the account also shows EAP as being on the car.

That's a contract between Tesla and the original owner.

The original owner could have Free Supercharging For Life listed on the Monroney Sticker but that does not mean the next owner will get it (some did and some don't).

When you buy used from Tesla, you get a contract with Tesla but when you buy used from non-Tesla (private or commercial), Tesla may not honor the original contract for the next owner.

@verygreen

To clarify and be fair to them, exactly what they told me was that "So it looks like the vehicle was configured with the enhanced Autopilot on the sales lot. However the first owner made adjustments to lower the overall price of the vehicle before purchase."

if you truly have autosteer - the only way to have that is to have EAP when EAP was offered. If you declined EAP you got no autopilot functionality at all.
Later Tesla revised their offering (in beginning of 2019) and instead of EAP + FSD they started to offer BAP (for free) + FSD.

The only way for somebody to downgrade EAP to BAP would be to buy a car produced before Q1 2019 and buy it after the change of offering was in effect (I am not even sure that was offered back at the time to do a downgrade like this on inventory cars - but it seems to be moot since more than year old Tesla inventory cars don't seem to exist)

@verygreen

Though the whole story is a bit convoluted, I suppose it could be true the car never had EAP and you were given an AP trial, which as I noted above will disappear one day soon.

Though the whole story is a bit convoluted, I suppose it could be true the car never had EAP and you were given an AP trial, which as I noted above will disappear one day soon.
there's no BAP trial is there? I heard of FSD trials before, but BAP is not available for purchase last I checked. You either have it because you bought a car (and it's not barebones Model3) after Apr 2019 or you don't because the car was sold before that date and you have EAP or FSD. Your only upgrade option is FSD.

Pretty sure there is nothing in the purchase agreement that states you can't sell EAP or FSD when you sell the car.
Difference here is what was sold by the dealer - if it was bought by them with EAP, then it should be there.
The problem is that most dealers don't know what they're buying and don't know how to check.
Really doesn't help if the first owner didn't tell them either.

So it looks like the first owner bought it at 5k miles from Tesla after April 2019 (assuming Tesla used this as a loaner/showroom car). He then used it for a few thousand miles, sold it to a dealer, then I bought it.

To those that say the EAP is only eligible for one transfer, wouldn’t that also mean the owner of the license could transfer it from one Tesla vehicle to the next?

Tesla can’t have it both ways.

EAP is an option on the car. What about software controlled fly-by-wire power windows, removable? Software controlled....

disappearing software options only end up ruining the brand name.

I wish tesla would go for the long game instead of trying to profit/profit/profit at every turn.

this is the kind of thing that makes me have 2nd thoughts about recommending the brand to friends. in fact, I have stopped, due to how tesla is acting the last few years.

hope the OP gets the software feature that he paid for, or thought he was getting.

To those that say the EAP is only eligible for one transfer, wouldn’t that also mean the owner of the license could transfer it from one Tesla vehicle to the next?

Tesla can’t have it both ways.

EAP is an option on the car. What about software controlled fly-by-wire power windows, removable? Software controlled....
Right - if someone says EAP is one transfer only, they need to find that in the MVPA. I'm betting there is no such restriction in there. There is nothing like that in mine, so when I sell my car the third, fourth or fifth owner should still have EAP, FSD etc etc
Mine is early enough to have the standard "premium connectivity", there's nothing in my MVPA about being unable to sell that later either.

So it looks like the first owner bought it at 5k miles from Tesla after April 2019 (assuming Tesla used this as a loaner/showroom car). He then used it for a few thousand miles, sold it to a dealer, then I bought it.
That would be the first time I hear of an inventory car that was at Tesla for more than a year (not that I am closely tracking this though)

Unless the car was a CPO from Tesla in April, then yes - they are known of removing software only features like autopilot, premium connectivity and free supercharging from such cars

...What about software controlled fly-by-wire power windows, removable? Software controlled....

That's the grey zone problem with the technology of software-enabled features.

The law needs to catch up with the technology: If a software-enabled feature has been activated, it cannot be deactivated even when the ownership is changing.

Otherwise, we are currently at the mercy of Tesla's interpretation: Tesla can ask the next owner for payment if the existing features are to be continued. Right now, the list is limited: Ludicrous, Full Self Driving, Free Supercharging For Life... but if there are no laws, Tesla can surely expand that list.

I recently purchased a 2018 Model X (built December 2017) with HW 2.5.

The original owner (who purchased it from Tesla) sold it to a dealer from whom I bought it a few weeks ago.
The original documents were not there, so after I took it in for some service (load floor missing and front shelf under screen) recently, I requested a copy of the original window sticker. After some back and forth with some places, I was provided with a copy of the original window sticker today.
The window sticker includes Enhanced Autopilot as an added option for $5000.
The car however only has the basic current autopilot features (autosteer, cruise).
In the app, nothing about summon or anything else is there which is a part of enhanced autopilot also. In the "upgrades" section, just "autopilot" is listed as purchased along with the option to add FSD for $7K.

This feature should be there as it is a feature on the original window sticker provided to me directly by Tesla.
Any suggestions on what to do about this/ how to go about getting these features?

I should note it is a relatively low mileage clean title car.
That sounds like total baloney. Unless Tesla personally got hands on the car before the 3rd party dealer did (Auction), this should never happen. I’d call to complain.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110