Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Navigate on autopilot is generally inconsistent and unreliable for me depending on which exits I’m taking. Here’s what that means and consumer reports does a good job of describing this is, it leads to missed exits (unless you take over), sudden and immediate slowdowns once you’ve taken the exit (scary for you and the car behind you)..

My two cents. While I like the car, I am the guinea pig for Tesla and paying for a feature that doesn’t fully work. Yay.

The price does not justify the current reliability. When the system becomes a lot more reliable, then it will moreso. It's interesting to try and think about it from Tesla's (or maybe Elon's) perspective because they have to manage how many of these they can sell to people and putting a price on something with greater future value is not something everyone buys into (or can even afford). I think the price needs to come down a bit for now. Especially considering those who already paid 3k for AP. EAP should not cost an extra 4k on top of that.

I believe it should be free from the start and build the cost into the car purchase pricing itself . But Tesla already shoot themselves by asking people to pay extra as additional feature when FSD is first released. By asking people to pay extra slow down the transition to autonomy and robotaxi because less people would use FSD. They cannot offer it free to future owners because they would piss off alot of early adopter who pays extra for it. So subscription model is the only solution for future. I think this EAP offer just to test out the water to see how many owners will take the bite to pay full. If data shows very little people bought EAP, it is more convincing to offer FSD as subscription for future.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I believe it should be free from the start and build the cost into the car purchase pricing itself.
Building the cost into the base price of the car is not "Free." That would be Tesla taking away choices for the individual to make and that would just be silly. Leave it up to the consumer to decide whether they want it.

Navigate on autopilot is generally inconsistent and unreliable for me depending on which exits I’m taking. Here’s what that means and consumer reports does a good job of describing this is, it leads to missed exits (unless you take over), sudden and immediate slowdowns once you’ve taken the exit (scary for you and the car behind you)..

My two cents. While I like the car, I am the guinea pig for Tesla and paying for a feature that doesn’t fully work. Yay.

I agree about the exit behavior. For me, it always takes the correct exit but I'm not a fan of how it drives once into the exit. I am glad I only paid 6K for FSD. 8k/9k would have been a tougher decision. I also only paid 2K extra for stealth performance.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am only a couple of days into EAP, but so far I am not impressed.
  • Phantom braking is significantly more with NoAP than regular AP.
  • I tries to initiate a lane change when there is a car RIGHT NEXT TO ME (seriously - you can't wait until there is an open space?)
  • It does a horrible job of managing traffic
If I weren't outside the window I would be asking for a refund.

I am only a couple of days into EAP, but so far I am not impressed.
  • Phantom braking is significantly more with NoAP than regular AP.
  • I tries to initiate a lane change when there is a car RIGHT NEXT TO ME (seriously - you can't wait until there is an open space?)
  • It does a horrible job of managing traffic
If I weren't outside the window I would be asking for a refund.
Have FSD on both ours and 90% of the time only use bAP + auto lane changes. It’s just not very bright.

FWIW, had a smoother than ever NOA drive yesterday on version 2020.36.11 in dense traffic. 3 freeway changes, a lot of merges, a tunnel, tight auto lane changes. Road back the same. I was tired and didn't even tweak the speed scroll wheel, just kicked back. I don't see how it could do it better. I'm not hallucinating.

So what's the deal with those that have trouble? Is it settings, or the fact I always reset after an update, wipe the cameras and sensors daily? Or what?

Over the last 20 months, right after an update, I've had a few times it was acting weird. Like a different machine. All sorts of stupid stuff. I pull over, stop, do a walk-around/wipe and reset both computers. Back on the road and everything's fine.

There's one thing that started a few months ago and might bother someone at first, which is that when a lane widens and merges with another, the car promptly centers into the combined width. I'm used to it, but it did seem strange at first.

I don't think hugging either side works better, mainly because another car might end up squeezing in and cause more arbitration trouble. I had seen that problem with some merging ramps (like southbound 13 in Oakland merging into 580 East), until they adopted this "hog the middle" approach.

Last edited:
FWIW, had a smoother than ever NOA drive yesterday on version 2020.36.11 in dense traffic. 3 freeway changes, a lot of merges, a tunnel, tight auto lane changes. Road back the same. I was tired and didn't even tweak the speed scroll wheel, just kicked back. I don't see how it could do it better. What's the deal with those that have trouble? Is it settings, or the fact I always reset after an update, wipe the cameras and sensors daily? Or what?

Over the last 20 months, right after an update, I've had a few times it was acting weird. Like a different machine. All sorts of stupid stuff. I stop, do a walk-around/wipe and reset both computers. Back on the road and everything's fine.

There's one thing that started a few months ago and might bother someone at first, which is that when a lane widens, or merges with another, the car promptly centers into the combined width. I'm used to it, but it did seem strange at first. But I don't think hugging either side would work better.

As usual, YMMV. Having more cars around you while at moderate speeds can be helpful as it takes cues from them.

I dunno. Granted, Teslas are most tested in the Bay Area, but I've had good results in different traffic conditions and on road trips too. I don't expect perfection, but NOA requires less and less oversight, and I'm very happy with it. Maybe I'll post all my settings when I get a chance, in case there's something there.

And yo, @Kevy Baby, not sure how your car is "managing traffic", horribly or not, but if your car really tried to change lanes into another car, that's a gross malfunction that you should have Service look at pronto. I hope you have saved all the camera footage because the video can help them figure it out.
There are sensors on the sides that should be displaying any proximity on the screen. Check that. Are they? Did the screen show the car in the adjacent lane in red?
Now if that was just a figure of speech, and you just thought it was cutting in too tight, you could try setting the "inter-car distance" wider, like 4 or 5.

And yo, @Kevy Baby, not sure how your car is "managing traffic", horribly or not, but if your car really tried to change lanes into another car, that's a gross malfunction that you should have Service look at pronto.

To clarify: the car doesn't physically make the move, but turns on the turn signal and gives all the on-screen indications that it is going to make a lane change, even though the car next to me was red and the line between us (on the diplay) was red.

My car updated to 2020.36.11 last night. I will make sure to reboot before I drive anywhere and see how it goes (though I am not sure I will be doing any highway driving this weekend).

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
^^^ My car does the same thing but then it slows down to allow the car next to me move ahead and then changes lanes.

Right, that sounds normal, sees it needs to pass a slower vehicle, gets ready, then waits until all is clear. Humans process situations simultaneously, computers sequentially. The biggest/longest/hardest part of learning how to safely use NOA is learning how to precisely anticipate what the car is going to do in what situations and when you might have to intervene. I remember early on feeling like my supervision of NOA was more work/stressful than just driving the car myself. That's because I had to retrain my brain to something entirely new. After 50 years of driving that's a lot of cobwebs to brush aside. By this point, I can mostly/invariably predict the future actions of the car. Doesn't mean I'm not still looking for new and unique situations where the system may not behave as I would have predicted. That's critical when I'm flying down a road in a box at 85 mph. My ability to anticipate is better and better as time goes on. And takes less and less effort. Not less attention, just less effort. I've been here hundreds of times and I know what the car will do, right again, check. Oops, wrong, slightly different this time, learn. Like everything else in life the ease of what we do now is dependent on the hard work we did in the past........

Last edited: