Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really feel like I'm missing out by not taking advantage of the EAP for $4K upgrade, even though this is the second time in my ownership period that this "promo" popped up at the last 10 days of the quarter. All the input on sub-par experiences with EAP features and the likelihood that this will show up again in December is moving me towards "No--wait and see".

Wait and see is logical answer
FOMO is illogical and is a consequence of being a human in a group setting.

What I find funny is FOMO is way more pronounced with FSD than EAP. Right now FSD is where all the excitement is as you get HW3 (if you have HW2.5 currently), and you get all traffic light/sign improvements they're making. Then you'll get to play around with city street autosteeer within 6 months or so. While you're waiting for that you can see how much stuff it assigns as either cones or garbage cans.

Mostly what a person with AP is missing out on in not getting EAP/FSD is the opportunity to have conversations with your car, and the choices its making.

If that's important to you than most definitely go FULL out and get FSD. If you just want things to work than you got plenty to complain about with AP because basic AP doesn't work either.

If you need something to complain about than at least get AP.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Current TACC disengages if you change lanes (least my car would). With auto lane change, you signal you want to change a lane (while on AP) and the car safely makes the change w/o disengaging cruise etc. Presumably it's safer? It's a bit more convenient.
Can't remember if someone already mentioned it, but TACC doesn't disengage, Autosteer does. (Apologies f this is a duplication.)

Changing lanes with regular AP isn’t nearly as annoying as most are suggesting.
For me it is if only for the the annoying tone at dis-engage and re-engage of Autosteer (and accompanying reduction of music).

Don’t have to re-engage autopilot for each lane change.
AP (Auto-Pilot) has two components: Autosteer and TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control). TACC does not disengage with a lane change (on AP), but Autosteer does.

Mostly what a person with AP is missing out on in not getting EAP/FSD is the opportunity to have conversations with your car, and the choices its making.

Are you kidding?!? I yell at AP all the time!

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
It went up by $2000.
I remember it because i opted not to buy it for $3000 when i signed the papers. Shortly after taking delivery, the price went up by $2000 and AP was included.
I bought mine in March 2019 when AP/TACC was $3k. In April 2019 they started offering it with basic AP included and jumped up the price of the same build about $2k. For another $5k when I bought my car, I could have had FSD. But couldn't spring $8k for both options at the time. I'll likely upgrade to EAP for $4k before the end of the month. I only see the stoplight/stop sign as a future use of using the car as a self-driving Uber and I'm not planning on that. I'd rather have more control over city streets. And as long as you're behind another car, red light recognition really means nothing. I drive with AP already on city streets fine.

Will the autopark work to pull my car out of the garage if it's not a straight pull out? Because of my garage layout and where the washing machine is placed, when I pull into my garage that only has several inches already of space between the closed mirrors and the opening, I turn to the left and that gives me the perfect space to pull in and be able to get to the washer door. So will it keep turned as it pulls out until the point it can back straight out or is that expecting too much? I hope that's clear enough.

Will the autopark work to pull my car out of the garage if it's not a straight pull out? Because of my garage layout and where the washing machine is placed, when I pull into my garage that only has several inches already of space between the closed mirrors and the opening, I turn to the left and that gives me the perfect space to pull in and be able to get to the washer door. So will it keep turned as it pulls out until the point it can back straight out or is that expecting too much? I hope that's clear enough.
There is one way to find out. I remember when summon first became a thing, there were so many post on how summon would failed and put a nice scratch on their car from the garage. It may had improved some what over the years and there are adjustable on the summon screen. If you do attempt a test, just be ready to stop if it appears to get to close.

What you mean is the Summon function. I would not trust it with any delicate maneuvering in a tight space. It has blind spots (particularly on the sides) where it cannot detect objects reliably. The only things I would perhaps use Summon for is pulling straight out of a tight parking spot, or playing around on an empty parking lot. It also sometimes has trouble with inclines and driving over door sills.

I read on Teslarati today that Tesla may begin the FSD subscription service this year. If I subscribe, I assume they will upgrade my 2.5 computer to the 3.0? It'll need it for FSD.

The subscription might be available only to people with HW3 already in their car. (Or you might have to subscribe for a minimum of a year, or more, to get the AP3 upgrade.)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Ok... so for people who have to pay $4000 for Enhanced Autopilot gets auto lane change and summon... So what about people got EAP with their car? Will we get summon and auto lane change also? If not, how can they have two different versions of EAP?

Last edited:
People that previously paid for EAP already have those features. (EAP has never come standard.)

Thanks. I for some reason thought the two versions were EAP and FSD. Didn't know it was three versions.

Wow, who's going to pay $4000 to go from "Autopilot" to "EAP" just to get "auto lane change" (not really, since you have to signal yourself) and Summon (which doesn't even work correctly). LOL

I suspect that @vickh is saying something like "I thought all cars past April of 2019 came with HW 3, but my car purchased in May of 2019 has HW 2.5. Tesla promised me HW 3 and I feel I am entitled to it, even if I dont purchase FSD".

Im just guessing, but suspect that is what they are talking about. Not "I purchased FSD and havent been upgraded yet" which is the question you are answering.

Yes, The former is correct except I intentionally waited to get HW3 per my SA (and Elon's HW3 tweets( (till I couldn't wait anymore for the fed credit) Delivered 6.30.19.

Thanks. I for some reason thought the two versions were EAP and FSD. Didn't know it was three versions.

Wow, who's going to pay $4000 to go from "Autopilot" to "EAP" just to get "auto lane change" (not really, since you have to signal yourself) and Summon (which doesn't even work correctly). LOL
There are lot of suckers out there.
Like me who paid for FSD and still only uses basic AP because I don’t think other features work very well or are useful.

Bought this before I drove hoe from work this evening.
Maybe it’s just me, but Autopilot just seems a lot steadier now. I used to look out the drivers side window and worry that the cars were too close, now it just cruises right in the middle of the lane.

EAP worked like a charm on the whole drive home (highway of course) interchanges and all. Totally worth it.

Summon is kinda gimmicky. My kid got a kick out of it this evening. That’s about all Ill use it for.

Still need to try auto park out.

IMHO, completely worth it just for the interchanges and passing on the highway. But, to each his own.

Bought this before I drove hoe from work this evening.
Maybe it’s just me, but Autopilot just seems a lot steadier now. I used to look out the drivers side window and worry that the cars were too close, now it just cruises right in the middle of the lane.

EAP worked like a charm on the whole drive home (highway of course) interchanges and all. Totally worth it.

Summon is kinda gimmicky. My kid got a kick out of it this evening. That’s about all Ill use it for.

Still need to try auto park out.

IMHO, completely worth it just for the interchanges and passing on the highway. But, to each his own.

Auto park sucks bad so be very careful if you try it out, Bjorn posted a video on this like 2 weeks ago.

Fred