Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to grab FSD for $2K during their fire sale last year. At these prices I don’t think I would pull the trigger on EAP or FSD. A bit too much to swallow for a good number of owners. Surprised Tesla hasn’t launched their monthly subscription option for FSD yet. It would surely be a good revenue generator for them.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they are not confident enough in the product to allow people to trial it.

If you offer everyone a free trial when they get the car, or the opportunity to subscribe for one month at a time, you could end up losing all the buyers that pay for it upfront sight unseen and end up not thinking it was worth the money.

Also crazy to me that it's not on every loaner. There is close to zero incremental cost to put it on every loaner as a way to market the product, yet they don't.

If you have confidence in your product, you should be begging/paying people to try it.

I have a 2018 AWD that came with nothing. I purchased autopilot when it was down to $2k a couple months ago. I'd love to upgrade to EAP but having now tried autopilot for a while it's not trustworthy enough to use without almost more "supervision" than normal driving takes. My car frequently tries to move into turn lanes on two lane roads then jerks back into the "straight" lane while jamming the brakes. Now I know it's only supposed to be used on divided highways right now so I can excuse that, but even on interstates my wife won't let me use it because we've had to many phantom breaking events and she is worried about getting rear ended. I feel like when going under an overpass I need to hover my foot over the accelerator in case the car decides to jam the breaks at 70mph and if someone is following close behind I just don't use autopilot for fear of the phantom breaking. I hope the rewrite improves things because until then I can't justify spending any more on this stuff. Still absolutely love the car but all of the "auto'" stuff still seems not ready for these types of prices from my personal experience with my car.

My app says $5000. That said before the upgrade I could have had both for $8k. So they continue to encourage you to buy into FSD.
Got it! But I still can't justify the price of dumping $8k or even $7k into FSD tho I am a true believer in autonomous driving. I'll most likely jump to EAP like you just in the hope to not have premature failures on my gear stalk from long interstate drives ;)

• Funny
Reactions: flyingowl
I do 120 mile freeway driving round trip each day commute. I wanted NOP and auto lane change, but couldn't justify 8k. I originally bought it for 7k and cancelled it within 48 hours after trying it, I just couldn't swallow the pill. I have no desire for city autopilot. I trust my driving better on the city roads and really don't do much city driving. When I woke up and saw 4k, I bought immediately,. I could justify that price point, summon and auto park were just bonuses. Only thing I don't get is city auto pilot which I don't care about. If you do its cheaper to buy FSD, as it is still 5k for me now to upgrade to that, a extra 1k, then if I just bought it in the beginning. but no loss for me, I got what I wanted. Thank you Tesla

For anyone considering this that has a car without HW 3, make sure you understand that this is likely not coming with the new hardware. If I already had HW3 I might consider EAP. I purchased EAP with the car in fact, in 2018, and then later purchased FSD to get the new hardware when it was briefly down to 2k additional. So, I paid 7k total, 5k EAP + 2k FSD upgrade.

What I find interesting is they are now charging 4k for EAP and then an additional 5k for FSD to get the new hardware. To me, that means they are both trying to grab revenue now, and betting that someone who dipped their toe in with EAP will eventually want to go all in for FSD, and if they do, they will get even more money out of them than they would have before.

I bought my car about 1 month ago. 2018 M3 RWD LR and I made sure to get the FSD, Autopilot and HW3 all included in what I bought. I bought from a used Tesla dealer in Utah. They have their own Tesla tech who does considerable lower upgrade costs for EVERYTHING (HW3, car parts, software, etc.). If you live anywhere near Utah, I would suggest driving there to save on the money. I have NO AFFILIATION with this shop, but they are legit in their lower pricing. My point is, they upgraded the computer for me and all the features prior to me buying the vehicle. I drove two vehicles. 1 with HW2.5 and 1 with HW3. Not a huge difference, but the automatic lane change on the road heading to a destination is nice, getting off freeway exits, stop light and stop sign stopping and driving, if you trust the car, and I am glad I went with it from day 1. I would say you get 90% of the functionality still, but having the HW3 does make a big difference if wanting the full feature set of the FSD. My two cents and doesn't have to mean anything to anyone else and I probably wasn't all that clear, but I am glad I got it all to use the car to it's fullest.

I was lucky enough to grab FSD for $2K during their fire sale last year. At these prices I don’t think I would pull the trigger on EAP or FSD. A bit too much to swallow for a good number of owners. Surprised Tesla hasn’t launched their monthly subscription option for FSD yet. It would surely be a good revenue generator for them.

@ $4k, it's a good price. I don't really care about auto pilot on surface streets, too many idiots (at least in SoCal), too many variables, so this really would do the trick for me.

This is still too expensive if you ask me. My navigate on autopilot and lane changes were a disaster on the highway. It required me to work harder if anything.

Summon and auto parking were useless except to show people. You will use these twice and get ready to watch your car spaz out. Auto parking works but it takes too long. I will literally park in your spot while you try to use it if I see you.

Lane changes take to long and are often not correct in traffic. In NY the system often just gave up because it didn't feel comfortable. Merging it slowed to a near stop trying to get on.
I hope these got better but I doubt it.

Don't waste your money. The only reason tesla would bring this back is because they raised FSD price to high and people stopped buying it. This option would not exist otherwise. Maybe they will have another sale if this doesn't sell

Last edited: