Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick synopsis of my first afternoon with EAP features:

Like everyone, auto lane change is the biggest thing. Even on shorter trips it's something I will appreciate having. One aspect about safety and "stupid human" issues that nobody has mentioned. When using auto steer for a length of time, then switching lanes and have it turn off, I sometimes initially forget to re-engage auto steer. After a loud WTF!, things return to normal.

Auto park - when it works, it's good. "WHEN" is the big issue. No parallel or perpendicular parking unless there are cars on either side. But yesterday, it squeezed into a tight parallel park space that I would otherwise be hesitant to use.

Summon, smart summon - MORE than a parlor trick, and useful in certain circumstances. We have a two car garage and it's very tight parking. Getting into/out of the car sometimes requires being a wet noodle. Even though it was tight, I stood behind the car, used summon and put it into reverse, and there it was! I'd never use smart summon in a parking lot, but I can use it with "move to spot" - I put the "x" on the driveway. I have HomeLink installed. It opens the garage door and pulls out to the spot.

NOAP - After only one afternoon, there are some issues, but it's not all bad. It all depends on the type of driving your are used to. Aggressive drivers won't like it. Neither will ultra-conservative drivers. There are several settings that address this. As to actually navigating through complex interchanges, etc., it seems to pick the correct lane. But again, it's just one afternoon with it. Other Bay Area drivers seem to love it.

I'm hoping and am optimistic the upcoming rewrite will greatly improve all of the above. It's worth $4k.

Quick synopsis of my first afternoon with EAP features:

Like everyone, auto lane change is the biggest thing. Even on shorter trips it's something I will appreciate having. One aspect about safety and "stupid human" issues that nobody has mentioned. When using auto steer for a length of time, then switching lanes and have it turn off, I sometimes initially forget to re-engage auto steer. After a loud WTF!, things return to normal.

Auto park - when it works, it's good. "WHEN" is the big issue. No parallel or perpendicular parking unless there are cars on either side. But yesterday, it squeezed into a tight parallel park space that I would otherwise be hesitant to use.

Summon, smart summon - MORE than a parlor trick, and useful in certain circumstances. We have a two car garage and it's very tight parking. Getting into/out of the car sometimes requires being a wet noodle. Even though it was tight, I stood behind the car, used summon and put it into reverse, and there it was! I'd never use smart summon in a parking lot, but I can use it with "move to spot" - I put the "x" on the driveway. I have HomeLink installed. It opens the garage door and pulls out to the spot.

NOAP - After only one afternoon, there are some issues, but it's not all bad. It all depends on the type of driving your are used to. Aggressive drivers won't like it. Neither will ultra-conservative drivers. There are several settings that address this. As to actually navigating through complex interchanges, etc., it seems to pick the correct lane. But again, it's just one afternoon with it. Other Bay Area drivers seem to love it.

I'm hoping and am optimistic the upcoming rewrite will greatly improve all of the above. It's worth $4k.
I find that it’s not the most stable over 75mph (120kph) or even at lower speeds when gusts are present. Shadows still make problems for it as well as other cars coming up on the on-ramp will occasionally cause it to FREAK out.

• Informative
Reactions: tren01t
Never going to happen, but I wish they would just sell the features a-la-carte for $1500-2000 each if you already have basic autopilot. I can't take advantage of the full suite of features, and would rather pay for individual features that work with my lifestyle.

Will most definitely not. EAP does not require HW3.

That's debatable.

It currently doesn't require HW3, but what happens when HW3 owners have a substantially better NoA experience with HW3 than HW2/HW2.5 owners? What happens when Summons or reverse summons is a lot better for HW3 owners?

We can't reasonably believe that NoA will be any better than it is today with HW2/HW2.5.

Now if how it works today is good enough for someone to shell out $4K for then I see no reason they shouldn't.

But, if one is expecting that it will follow FSD in getting enhancements than I think they're dreaming.

FSD is where it's at. Either go full in or stand on the side lines and wait to jump in (if ever).

Don't settle for the pile of garbage that is NoA, Summons, or Self-Park under EAP

Never going to happen, but I wish they would just sell the features a-la-carte for $1500-2000 each if you already have basic autopilot. I can't take advantage of the full suite of features, and would rather pay for individual features that work with my lifestyle.

Ha, the only thing they'd pay for is auto-lane change as its the only thing that works.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

I find that it tries to embarrass me.

Like it will turn on the turn signal with someone next to me on a nearly empty road.
Or it will take an excessively long time to do an unconfirmed lane change. Sometimes by the time it starts its too late.

It also suffers from the failings of things below it like phantom braking with TACC, or re-centering on a merge point if you're driving with AP on in the right lane. One time NoA actually turned on the blinkers during one of these where it was changing lanes into the merging lane that was ending.

I wish I had a "I don't care what people think" kind of attitude because then I could really test NoA thoroughly without taking over at the first sign of it being dumb.

I am really struggling with this one since it does have the stuff i would want in a package but still feel 4k is still a tad too much. Still debating.

I really, really wish they had a trial so people could make more informed decisions.

Some kind of 7 or 14 day return policy for it.

That way they don't have to take someone else's word for how well it works. The very nature of what it does means the results are going to be mixed even if it was better.

Last edited:
I really, really wish they had a trial so people could make more informed decisions.

Or some kind of 7 or 14 day return policy for it.

That way they don't have to take someone else's word for how well it works. The very nature of what it does means the results are going to be mixed even if it was better.
Exactly...

I guess 2 day refund policy might just do...

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You still should do shoulder checks. What makes it useful is that on long highway drives, where you often need to change lanes, constantly having to dis- and re-engage Autopilot becomes annoying. Just setting the blinker is much smoother (I almost never use Navigate on Autopilot though because it often behaves stupidly). I'd agree with others that auto lane change is currently the only feature of EAP (and even FSD) that has real practical value. I never use Summon or auto park.

Background: I bought my car with EAP in 2018 when the free basic Autopilot didn't exist, and couldn't resist buying FSD when it briefly dropped to $2k last year (I like that I got the computer upgrade, but otherwise the few FSD-only features so far also have no practical value).

Great explanation. I had no idea that I would have to re-enage AP after changing lanes. I've only just started using it for very short stints. I can see how simply using the indicator to have AP change lanes is way smoother. For highway travel, this is a really nice feature for sure.

Thanks for explaining it!

I have EAP on my 2018 Model 3. I park my Ducati in front of the Model 3. I frequently use summon to back the car out of the garage for access to the motorcycle. I use it to move the car back in the garage after getting the motorcycle out of the garage. Getting into the car with motorcycle gear on is not easy. I don't have EAP on my 2020 Long Range + Model S. I greatly miss the auto lane change. I would never use summon on my Model S since I back it into the garage with the passenger side very close to the garage wall.

On a recent trip up I-5 in CA AP was frustrating with all the traffic and required lane changes. Keeping AP engaged while making lane changes would have been greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how I will use Navigate on Autopilot after I upgrade. I use my Model S mostly for long road trips and would not care about using AP on city streets.

On my last trip AP worked the best in light traffic on 2 lane roads. After using AP on long road trips, I would never want to drive a vehicle on a long road trip without it.

As a long-time rider myself (just sold my Triumph Daytona 675R recently), this is EXACTLY how I'd use summon. Although most wouldn't need this functionality, it's incredibly useful for the motorcyclist with a two-car garage parking a Tesla and bike in the same bay.

Reactions: gnelson
I really feel like I'm missing out by not taking advantage of the EAP for $4K upgrade, even though this is the second time in my ownership period that this "promo" popped up at the last 10 days of the quarter. All the input on sub-par experiences with EAP features and the likelihood that this will show up again in December is moving me towards "No--wait and see".