Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although for me NOA is currently the one essential thing that makes my Tesla a Tesla I can say for sure that if I had only 2 days to test it I would have said it ain't worth much. More trouble than it's worth. Maybe I'm just a slow learner or the cobwebs are too thick but I don't think it works that way. Well, the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry anymore. With learning the trouble floats away and the cool part drifts in. It's Cowboy Neal at the wheel of the bus to never ever land........

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fernand
It is just like they say, the more I use NOA, the more I understand how to use it and how the car will behave. Its been great these last few days and has been pretty much spot on with the driving. Smart summon has worked very well for me every time I have used it so far. Probably because I havent given it any extreme complicated summons. I usually continue to walk to it as I summon so it meets me half way and doing it this way it has been useful to me. Other times, I back it out just to see how far down the lot im parked as I head to my car. I dont know if it is because of HW3 or what but my car has not behaved like any of the videos I saw on you tube. I still think 4k is expensive but I am no longer nervous that I might have wasted money. I wouldn’t want to go back to basic autopilot.

@Kevy Baby What you describe is perfectly normal. The car will display the planned move, any obstacles (like the lane and adjacent car in red), and wait until the coast is clear. That might involve slowing down significantly and making a brutal lane grab if it's approaching an exit and the lane change is urgent. It's gotten pretty brave at squeezing in, with the AI displaying a bit of that human-like "let me in or we both die" bluff.

Occasionally there's no way in hell to squeeze in to make the exit, and it will say "attempting", then abort, leaving you to take the next exit (grrr). When that happens I quietly curse Nicki all the way as her voice guides me through the alternative path - I know the poor bugger tried, and I wouldn't have made it either.

@Shrekkie555 As to slowing down after an exit, when the NOA disengages it will ding and transition to AP and coast. You have to push the accel pedal to continue. Near my house it pulls up to the stop sign (red) line, and stops. In some situations it will slow down and continue in AP at the (new) speed limit without requiring intervention, like if the exit takes you onto an AP-capable road and not just a stretch of terminal street. Somebody said it well here a while back: there's always a reason for what it does.

@PACEMD is right. After 2 days most everybody would be more freaked than anything. It took me weeks to get comfortable with it. It's a different mind-set. It was sheer terror at first, and I think I persisted in part because I had no return option. But also because I realized it was my only long-term hope, as I was getting more uncomfortable about manually making lane changes, with blind spots and all, as the packed freeway speeds were creeping up from 65 to 85.

I couldn't care less about the time frame for surface street FSD. That will be cool but of far less relative value. Let alone tales o' robotaxi.
But you'd have to pry that NOA from my cold dead fingers.

Last edited:
Just did my first long drive from San Diego to Las Vegas with EAP. NOA on from highway on ramp to off ramp at supercharger in Yermo, and then on to Las Vegas. That is almost %100 of the trip driving by itself. I sat in awe at how well it handled everything and there were places that I was betting against the car that it wouldnt be able to handle but I would have lost that bet. I do have lane change confirmations on though. The car doesnt see far enough sometimes to know that the lane change it is recommending is not a good idea. If you were on the fence about EAP, get down and purchase it next time it comes back available.

@Gizmo35 There's two ways to approach this. Either you require confirmation, betting that the car will mostly make bad choices. Or you turn off confirmation and bet on the car making more good choices. My experience favors the latter. If it's starting a sub-optimal move, I can tap the turn signal and cancel. And besides, who cares? I've recently started taking my wife's advice: don't bother Nicki, just let it do what s/he wants. About 90% of the time it chooses just fine. I pity the EU drivers who don't have the no-confirmation option.

Two other cute settings. "Leave Passing Lane" and "Use HOV lanes".

I turned off the courteous Leave Passing Lane (that's essential in Europe) because it wasn't worth the see-saw on California freeways, where a leftmost "passing lane" is a myth - people deep dive and pass wherever they can, and there's always a dork in a Prius going the speed limit in the left lane.

Use HOV Lanes is a challenge, because you have to turn it on/off on the screen I think. Anybody got voice command to do it? The problem is that HOV sometimes requires 2 in the car, sometimes 3, and sometimes who the hell knows what all that illuminated HOV FASTTRACK FREE TOLL $1.00 signage means.

So if you are 2 in the car, you're tooling along at 80MPH in the HOV, when suddenly you realize it now requires 3 people, and threatens a $471 fine. So you request a lane change and the car gets out as soon as the solid lines break. Whew! But then it's only pretending to be happy. It's lying in wait for a chance to get back in the faster HOV and you have to keep tapping "no! NO!", until you can get to the right screen page and turn off "Use HOV Lanes". I NEED that 2nd occupant, like my wife, to do it, 'cause I find it VERY hard to get to it and tap, while fighting Nicki who's accelerating and going for the HOV lane with a vengeance again! Nicki's quite good at self-preservation, but doesn't care about no stinkin' $471 fine. I suspect the boys at Tesla love to turn on the inside camera and ROFL at those interactions. Anybody got a voice command to turn it on and off?

Last edited: