Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP [enhanced autopilot] is back

Mark-R

Jan 28, 2020
Shropshire, UK
And if you're still not sure watch this video...

Can we trust his judgement? Ignoring the fact he wears 'teen' brand Hollister, he has a £50k car and is contemplating buying EAP and yet his children literally have no shoes :eek:

idiot.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Gatsojon

tomas

Out of warranty...
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
For anyone that has been waiting for it, EAP is back.

In the upgrades menu in the app (or website presumably), £3400 for:
  • Nav on Auto pilot
  • Auto lane change
  • Auto park
  • Summon
The first 2 here are, I have to admit, tempting me. Really I'd probably want to know more about how FSD is going to pan out - are the relevent improvements from it going to make their way to EAP and AP? Or if I get EAP does it's capabilities peak soon on the current code base? Because for £3k I'd probably want to know I was definitely getting the improved software for handling Nav and lane change.
IMO,
Nav on AP - utterly useless. Only for highways, and cannot do an interchange or exit ramp, so why?
Auto lane change - very good on highway once you get used to using. Nice addition to auto steer.
Auto park - nice for people who use it. I don't.
Summon - party trick.
In summary, a lot to pay for not much. Unless you for some reason really value auto lane change, auto park, or you think you'd regularly use summon.

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
I can't see any reason that auto lane change improvements wouldn't trickle down from FSD, they'd have to maintain an artificially "weaker" branch of the software otherwise for no good reason but to punitively impact people who "only" paid for EAP.

Just stumbled across this which sheds some light. Its the most logical route for HW3 cars.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1353665950290235394

upload_2021-2-9_21-4-18.png

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Just stumbled across this which sheds some light. Its the most logical route for HW3 cars.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1353665950290235394

View attachment 635333
Really good to have that confirmed, good spot thanks. Knowing that AP and EAP's driving ability will evolve beyond 16yo's driving style is really hopeful. Wonder if they will release this first to gather more training data before releasing FSD into the wild. This will obviously not require the same regulatory hurdles as street level FSD so may have a wider roll out more quickly.

Reactions: VanillaAir_UK

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I'm not sure I understand what Elon is saying there. Why would it "be crazy not to turn on FSD" ?

FSD is an augmentation of AP, so if (E)AP uses the same data, etc as FSD does - is it not doing exactly what FSD does above and beyond that in a practical sense?

BigBoy

Mar 1, 2020
United Kingdom
I can see summon (note not smart summon, which is pointless at the moment) being handy for getting out of a parking space without worrying about scratching the car or the next car

Drew57

Active ember
Apr 4, 2020
Chester UK
I can see summon (note not smart summon, which is pointless at the moment)
Smart Summon - pointless & potentially dangerous....

In March last year just before everything went crazy I was in California & saw an advanced summon M3 crawling in slow motion between rows of parked cars.
A driver in a Chevvy was concentrating so hard on avoiding it that he knocked over a shopping trolley, spilling it & contents all over the grocery store parking lot in front of the driverless Tesla.
Meanwhile the M3 politely stopped, flashed its lights & sat there diagonal and motionless (showing no embarrassment for the chaos it had caused)
By the time I quietly drove away in my Daughters X (so no one could take out 'Tesla rage' on me as well) the three people directly involved were having a hell of a row & I think attorneys were mentioned (shopper blaming Chevvy, Chevvy blaming Tesla, lots of others giving opinions
1f631.png
)

People were laughing or shaking their heads in disapproval at the big kids toy & a real car parked randomly either side of the wreckage!

Advanced summon looked useless to me at the speed it was actually moving - embarrassing & something I most definitely don't want.

M3BlueGeorgia

Dec 10, 2018
Atlanta, GA
IMO,
Nav on AP - utterly useless. Only for highways, and cannot do an interchange or exit ramp, so why?
Auto lane change - very good on highway once you get used to using. Nice addition to auto steer.
Auto park - nice for people who use it. I don't.
Summon - party trick.
In summary, a lot to pay for not much. Unless you for some reason really value auto lane change, auto park, or you think you'd regularly use summon.

Might be a UK thing, but here in the States Nav-on-AP can handle most types of Freeway interchanges and Freeway exits, though the "Nav" self-disables shortly after exiting.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Smart Summon - pointless & potentially dangerous....

In March last year just before everything went crazy I was in California & saw an advanced summon M3 crawling in slow motion between rows of parked cars.
A driver in a Chevvy was concentrating so hard on avoiding it that he knocked over a shopping trolley, spilling it & contents all over the grocery store parking lot in front of the driverless Tesla.
Meanwhile the M3 politely stopped, flashed its lights & sat there diagonal and motionless (showing no embarrassment for the chaos it had caused)
By the time I quietly drove away in my Daughters X (so no one could take out 'Tesla rage' on me as well) the three people directly involved were having a hell of a row & I think attorneys were mentioned (shopper blaming Chevvy, Chevvy blaming Tesla, lots of others giving opinions
1f631.png
)
People were laughing or shaking their heads in disapproval at the big kids toy & a real car parked randomly either side of the wreckage!

Advanced summon looked useless to me at the speed it was actually moving - embarrassing & something I most definitely don't want.
Can you imagine the scene in a UK supermarket car park during unhappy hour :eek:

M3BlueGeorgia

Dec 10, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Do Tesla allow a downgrade from FSD to EAP for an order already placed?

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this, or any similar specification change please. I know what it says in the contract, would like to know what happens in practice.

In general, you can change orders, but you will get repriced, so investigate what the overall net price would be before you pull the trigger on it.

Drew57

Active ember
Apr 4, 2020
Chester UK
Might be a UK thing, but here in the States Nav-on-AP can handle most types of Freeway interchanges and Freeway exits, though the "Nav" self-disables shortly after exiting.
But that's exactly it - 'most' is not good enough to be fully autonomous. That requires 'all' doesn't it?

JupiterMan

Aug 7, 2019
Hertfordshire, UK
I can see summon (note not smart summon, which is pointless at the moment) being handy for getting out of a parking space without worrying about scratching the car or the next car

TO be honest I would never park my car too close to other cars, for fear that they will scratch my car getting in and out of theirs (assuming they don't have summon!)

I'm pretty sure in the UK NOA handles interchanges.. been a while since I did one in the UK, but I seem to recall it getting in the right lanes at the right places.

Gaz_

Jul 26, 2019
UK
I have EAP. The best time with summon was with the carwash guys who wanted to see it, they were whooping and taking videos with their phone. They had me go backwards and forwards 6 times to get themselves in the picture.

Fun but useless

• Funny
Reactions: H Mak

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC