Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP [enhanced autopilot] is back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TO be honest I would never park my car too close to other cars, for fear that they will scratch my car getting in and out of theirs (assuming they don't have summon!)
It would still be useful because sometimes other people park close to you after you already parked.

It also opens up garage options that might otherwise not be possible (in many US cities there are very narrow garages that you can barely squeeze out of on one side, and for a wider car like a Model 3 might be impossible to get out).

Even if I do away with NOA and auto lane changes, I think I would still buy Summon if it was available as a separate option (as others mentioned at the moment Smart Summon is largely a gimmick and not useful except for some vary narrow circumstances).

It also opens up garage options that might otherwise not be possible (in many US cities there are very narrow garages that you can barely squeeze out of on one side, and for a wider car like a Model 3 might be impossible to get out).

Not really, the sensors won't let you park that close with summon, you have to basically put the car half in the garage and then summon might let you pull it in more of the way. Getting out works though as I think the reverse sensors don't look at the sides as much

Not really, the sensors won't let you park that close with summon, you have to basically put the car half in the garage and then summon might let you pull it in more of the way. Getting out works though as I think the reverse sensors don't look at the sides as much
I know officially (front?, maybe applies to rear also?) there is an 8 inch setting for the bumpers. Admittedly I have not tried it myself in a garage that narrow before (in my own garage, I have a post on passenger side, but I have enough space on driver side to get out), but my understanding is with the tight clearance setting, you certainly can get it to move into a spot that would be impossible to get out in terms of side clearance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...confirm_tight_summon_side_clearance_is_tight/

In the situation I'm talking about it's acceptable to pull the car most of the way in manually and get out and finish up with summon straight in (as long as it can get in and garage door can close). Otherwise for those types of garages driver would have to climb out from a window or the trunk. Not talking about summon doing everything start to finish.

I’ve used Summon zero times in 3 years. Not saying it couldn’t be useful in a few cases, but you would really need to be using it daily to justify the cost. Also seen plenty of videos of Summon going horribly wrong, typically scraping the car down the side of a garage. As for “smart” summon, forget it!

It definitely can (at least here in California, I tried it myself with my FSD trial).

Shows it also in the Tesla intro video:
Here’s my experience with it, also in CA. It is way too active about changing lanes for no good reason. Sure it can get you to the correct lane for an exit... in sparse traffic. But in heavy traffic, you usually have to take over or risk missing exit. But by saying “it can’t handle interchanges” I mean that if you are going from one highway to another, it cannot do the interchange ramps. It tries to go too fast for the curves. Now, some of this might have improved since I last tried it. So I’ll try an interchange this week. But I’ll bet you 4 doughnuts I’ve got to bail.

I will say this: EAP became available in the US last year. Having previously had it on my 2018 Model 3, I passed on buying it again for my 2020. The only thing I miss from it is the lane-change-on-signal. And that's so I don't have to constantly hear the chimes from AutoSteer engaging and dis-engaging as I drive. Otherwise, the other features didn't work well enough that I would want to consistently use them. It was $4,000 here and I felt like maybe for $1,500 I would have done it. But $4,000 just to not listen to some chimes? I'm not that rich.

I will say this: EAP became available in the US last year. Having previously had it on my 2018 Model 3, I passed on buying it again for my 2020. The only thing I miss from it is the lane-change-on-signal. And that's so I don't have to constantly hear the chimes from AutoSteer engaging and dis-engaging as I drive. Otherwise, the other features didn't work well enough that I would want to consistently use them. It was $4,000 here and I felt like maybe for $1,500 I would have done it. But $4,000 just to not listen to some chimes? I'm not that rich.

This sums it up for me too. Standard AP without the chimes is what I really want. If you could manually switch lanes without disengaging AP (or at least switch off the chimes) then EAP would have zero interest for me. The auto-lane change on signal is just too slow and unreliable for my taste.

This sums it up for me too. Standard AP without the chimes is what I really want. If you could manually switch lanes without disengaging AP (or at least switch off the chimes) then EAP would have zero interest for me. The auto-lane change on signal is just too slow and unreliable for my taste.
Confess I’ve only used ‘mild’ mode. Have you tried ‘mad Max’?

Reactions: Needsdecaf

I had mine set on Mad Max, most aggressive, whatever settings. None was fast enough to account for normal traffic. Granted, this was early 2020 when I last used it, latest software might be better.

Yeah, turning on Joe mode works well for dimming the sound of the chimes, but renders your turn signal completely useless.

Reactions: JamesG601
Actually, this is all I want too - a way to override AP long enough to change lane (manually even, shocker!) and resume AP in the new lane, without having to disengage, change, engage. I think current system promotes cruising in the middle lane, which is illegal in the UK :/.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
My understanding is that setting only changes how frequently it changes lanes due to the speed differential (Mad Max meaning it will do so even if the car in front is only slightly slower than yours). It does not change the aggression or speed of the lane change maneuver after it decides to do so.

My understanding is that setting only changes how frequently it changes lanes due to the speed differential (Mad Max meaning it will do so even if the car in front is only slightly slower than yours). It does not change the aggression or speed of the lane change maneuver after it decides to do so.

This is my experience too. It is also more like Maisy Mouse than Mad Max in it’s suggested lane changes.

• Funny
Reactions: Needsdecaf
I’ve added it to my Performance order, although through salary sacrifice. It cost 40 extra a month for 48 months.

Has that not upped the price of the car to the new book price? It would have in the past.

For anyone locked into the old price on a confirmed order, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR SPECIFICATION. Whilst Tesla may have locked the current price, a change in specification, such as adding/removing EAP/FSD/colour change has historically caused the whole order to be revalued at the book price at the time of the change. This will then trigger the price increase.