Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP [enhanced autopilot] is back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has that not upped the price of the car to the new book price? It would have in the past.

No it didn’t alter the price of the base car. After hearing about past experiences of others on this site, I was very careful to ensure that the base price wasn’t updated to the new Performance price! I had it in writing via email first that Tesla would categorically not update the base price if I simply added EAP to my order via Tusker. I then used that email to contact Tusker, who simply added it and emailed Tesla with the new PO. This all went through fine... I checked with both Tesla and Tusker.

Hope this is useful to you and others considering adding EAP to your order, or salary sacrifice / lease.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Remember to test it within the cancellation period - the functionality/performance may not match everyone's expectations.

I'm not sure if EAP is likely to rise in price like FSD - apart from Smart Summon*, the price rises in FSD are specifically tied to FSD specific functionality, which is why, price wise, US is higher than elsewhere, even though only a small number instances of FSD beta are in the wild. EM said that these price rises would not be applied until the point that the FSD beta arrives in the region. As EAP is now 'feature complete', apart from price adjustments, imho there is no justification to rise the price of EAP based upon additional features.

* I cannot recall if the price rise associated with the introduction of Smart Summon has been applied in UK - I think it was, ie the £5800-£6800 was triggered (albeit slightly delayed) by the introduction of Smart Summon - what great value that was :oops:

Remember to test it within the cancellation period - the functionality/performance may not match everyone's expectations.

I'm not sure if EAP is likely to rise in price like FSD - apart from Smart Summon*, the price rises in FSD are specifically tied to FSD specific functionality, which is why, price wise, US is higher than elsewhere, even though only a small number instances of FSD beta are in the wild. EM said that these price rises would not be applied until the point that the FSD beta arrives in the region. As EAP is now 'feature complete', apart from price adjustments, imho there is no justification to rise the price of EAP based upon additional features.

* I cannot recall if the price rise associated with the introduction of Smart Summon has been applied in UK - I think it was, ie the £5800-£6800 was triggered (albeit slightly delayed) by the introduction of Smart Summon - what great value that was :oops:

Feature complete in Tesla terminology is not feature complete in the real world though. Would you not expect EAP to get much better as FSD overall improves, to the point where it can actually drive you from A-B with the exception of "City Streets", which seems to be the bit FSD is promising over and above? I can see EAP being better value on that basis.

Reactions: 2021_M3P
Feature complete in Tesla terminology is not feature complete in the real world though. Would you not expect EAP to get much better as FSD overall improves, to the point where it can actually drive you from A-B with the exception of "City Streets", which seems to be the bit FSD is promising over and above? I can see EAP being better value on that basis.

I agree - I am confident that EAP will be improved, as FSD also improves. However, I don’t think the option to ‘add’ EAP will always exist for those that own vehicles.. as has been proved historically. My rationale is that I will own the car (when it arrives in May !) for the next 4 years... and I would be very surprised if EAP/FSD has not ‘become the norm’ on many new top package EVs by 2022/23 and that Tesla will have sorted ‘their s**t out’ and fixed many of the issues! Time will tell I guess !

Feature complete as in not adding any more features - features will potentially improve, but features will not be added - it is additional features that is driving the price rises - smart summon added to the price of FSD even though it was the added to EAP (as stated at the time, the final feature to be added) - but there was no EAP option at that point in time to see what, if any, adding smart summon would have impacted the EAP price.

I do agree that, to some extent, EAP will improve as the core features are improved. But it is important to remember that EAP is HW2 capable where as FSD requires HW3. I'm not saying that EAP is locked into HW2 capabilities, but that its capabilities are tied into the performance of the underlying hardware limitations (HW2.x, HW3), basic autopilot functionality and the features that it shares with the FSD package. As these improve, so will the associated features improve in EAP, but I cannot see its feature set/operational domain widening. An interesting one will be autopark if/when it becomes more aware of its surroundings than the current ultrasonic offering - will Tesla treat that as a new feature (such as smart summon vs summon), or bundle it an improvement to autopark.

Its pretty clear watching the FSD beta videos where the operational domain cutoff is - which ties with the onramp to offramp of NoA. You can see this feature cutoff now with stop sign control which is only part of FSD even when there will be a stop line at the end of the offramp.

I get the feeling that the reappearance of EAP this time is more long lived than its brief respite last September. Possibly an acknowledgement that FSD is some way off for some and even further for others. Its possible that its a reversion to pre 2019 days, when EAP was the predominate features then and FSD the future promise and that the removal of EAP from the standard options was a bit premature.

tl;dr I can see EAP performance improving on HW3 but only where underlying basic autopilot improves or the features are part of the FSD feature set - with EAP on HW2.x, all bets are off.

Reactions: Kenners
I get the feeling that the reappearance of EAP this time is more long lived than its brief respite last September. Possibly an acknowledgement that FSD is some way off for some and even further for others. Its possible that its a reversion to pre 2019 days, when EAP was the predominate features then and FSD the future promise and that the removal of EAP from the standard options was a bit premature.

tl;dr I can see EAP performance improving on HW3 but only where underlying basic autopilot improves or the features are part of the FSD feature set - with EAP on HW2.x, all bets are off.

Yep, I think EAP should remain. FSD I think is designed with the US in mind, which in lots of instances is an easier problem to solve in terms of getting FSD to work properly. And regulations differ too. Still think city driving in the UK is a much harder problem to solve, especially with current hardware.

For me I can’t see the appeal of either, autopilot that works will be fine, and I love a gadget as much as the next kid! Having car so boring bits is fine.

Not sure HW2 or 3 is relevant given the shrinking pool HW2 is within the fleet. AEP seems more of a gateway drug, if people like it they are far more likely to upgrade to FSD, price of which they want to increase.

Plus as it’s feature complete don’t they get all the money, rather than some of it sitting in an escrow, which I think is what happens with FSD??? They might get all the US money but markets elsewhere China/Europe with new factories) maybe not. Not entirely sure on this point!

Yeah I'm not overly hopeful either, but worth an enquiry
Had some lease quotes - over 4yrs on 10,000 miles its £434+VAT without EAP and £493+VAT with EAP so about + 9month up front. So basically adding EAP over a 4yr lease adds an extra £3,420, which means you have to pay for the option entirely yourself and then give it back after the 4yrs - Im not convinced that AEP is worth the extra, from what I can tell all it does in the UK is change lanes on A and M roads and pull out of a parking space if the conditions are perfect ?!

Had some lease quotes - over 4yrs on 10,000 miles its £434+VAT without EAP and £493+VAT with EAP so about + 9month up front. So basically adding EAP over a 4yr lease adds an extra £3,420, which means you have to pay for the option entirely yourself and then give it back after the 4yrs - Im not convinced that AEP is worth the extra, from what I can tell all it does in the UK is change lanes on A and M roads and pull out of a parking space if the conditions are perfect ?!
On a 3 year/8k lease through my company scheme I'm seeing 86% of the price of either EAP or FSD is being paid off over those 3 years so clearly the lease company isn't believing it adds much value to a used vehicle.

Similar figure for the white interior, so you really need to want that to justify the cost.

Exterior colour change however only requires 54% of the value to be repaid so that is more valuable on the used market.