Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP [enhanced autopilot] is back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
For anyone that has been waiting for it, EAP is back.

In the upgrades menu in the app (or website presumably), £3400 for:
  • Nav on Auto pilot
  • Auto lane change
  • Auto park
  • Summon
The first 2 here are, I have to admit, tempting me. Really I'd probably want to know more about how FSD is going to pan out - are the relevent improvements from it going to make their way to EAP and AP? Or if I get EAP does it's capabilities peak soon on the current code base? Because for £3k I'd probably want to know I was definitely getting the improved software for handling Nav and lane change.

This is about features an possibilities, phantom braking is a bug. My concern is that they fix that then sign off on AP and EAP as local maximums and never push the new NN back into that stream. Which would mean we wouldn't get object avoidance and all the smarter understandings of the road and lanes around us.

Main bugbear for me are the false positive recognition of speed signs that don't apply to us. That makes AP pretty laborious on a road where lorries are restricted to 50.

Do any FSD users have any experience of using Nav on autopilot? Does it works as advertised in the UK?

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
NoA runs out of steam outside of motorways and dual carriageways.
There are also areas along the A47 and A11 dual carriageways that I use, where it also shuts down and auto lane change is lost.
As yet, it doesn’t operate on B roads of course.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
I have EAP in my 2018 MX and FSD (3 month free trial) in my 2021 M3.

Auto-lane change is terrible in both. Way too slow and ponderous and often has glitches where it bails out mid lane change or simply doesn’t work at all. I thought it might be better on the new car with the faster processor, but it isn’t.

Nav on AP is also junk. Mainly because of the above issues with auto-lane change. Honestly anyone following behind will think you are half asleep.

So it’s a no from me. Obviously I won’t be keeping FSD when the trial expires.

NoA is pretty rubbish in UK even on motorways. I get <50% successful actions on motorway intersections. Auto lane change is a marginal feature. Summon never works, Autopark is rather nice tho'. Autopark is the ONLY automated feature my partner will use (she won't even use TACC). I use AP all the time on A roads and motorways, no significant phantom braking. I love it, but I still have to manually modify speed (using scroll wheels) going into tight curves on A roads. You pay for FSD if your in it for the long term.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Edit: sorry totally missed existing thread here - EAP is back

You can now buy EAP again, and upgrade in the app apparently...

91D3F7C0-A1DB-47AA-B228-074A15C4F8BF.jpeg

Interesting.. Me and my partner are very interested in using summon in order to get the car to come out of a car parking space as we're paranoid about hitting other cars, it's a lease though, I wonder what the cost would be to add it. £3400 ÷ 36 is £94 a month which is too much imo, but if it ended up being £30 (with the lease company taking some of the cost as additional resell value) we'd probably go for it.

Reactions: pow216
Interesting.. Me and my partner are very interested in using summon in order to get the car to come out of a car parking space as we're paranoid about hitting other cars, it's a lease though, I wonder what the cost would be to add it. £3400 ÷ 36 is £94 a month which is too much imo, but if it ended up being £30 (with the lease company taking some of the cost as additional resell value) we'd probably go for it.
I am not sure of anyone else's experience but, on mine, Summon does not work. You can hear it trying to work, sometimes you can get it to reverse three feet or so, but then it stops. My neighbour loves the fact it doesn't work, in fact he has told the whole village. I will never again try to demonstrate it (show off) to anyone.

I am not sure of anyone else's experience but, on mine, Summon does not work. You can hear it trying to work, sometimes you can get it to reverse three feet or so, but then it stops. My neighbour loves the fact it doesn't work, in fact he has told the whole village. I will never again try to demonstrate it (show off) to anyone.
You need to be pretty much next to the car and holding down the button, if it has a considerable slope to go down or surrounded by lots of objects that may also hinder the experience.

Phantom braking is a bug that Tesla seem incapable of fixing, at least in this country.

Well, I have good news and bad news about phantom braking "in this country"...

I recently did 1000 miles from northern Spain back to Bedfordshire. 900 miles with a couple of flinches and only one semi-serious phantom brake. Amost all on Autopilot, a real pleasure even with the weather being full-on shitstorm.

Hit the M20 > M25 > M1 on the way home and had four outrageos phantom brakes. Must be the case of RHD has something to do with it?

OTOH we did have lots of phantoms France: phantom cones :) De nada, as they say (or de res in Catalan)

The only other bad behaviour was on the Autoroute des Anglais. With low morning sun the car seemed to want to follow the tar strips instead of the white lines.