Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP [enhanced autopilot] is back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have EAP in my 2018 MX and FSD (3 month free trial) in my 2021 M3.

Auto-lane change is terrible in both. Way too slow and ponderous and often has glitches where it bails out mid lane change or simply doesn’t work at all. I thought it might be better on the new car with the faster processor, but it isn’t.

Nav on AP is also junk. Mainly because of the above issues with auto-lane change. Honestly anyone following behind will think you are half asleep.

So it’s a no from me. Obviously I won’t be keeping FSD when the trial expires.
How do you get a 3 month free trial?

Given on paper EAP does that vast majority of what FSD currently offers in the UK, it is half tempting...

How is "Nav on Auto pilot" and "Auto lane change" on most dual carriageways and 2 lane motorways? (Being up in Scotland that's more important to me than 3+ lane motorways)

Interesting.. Me and my partner are very interested in using summon in order to get the car to come out of a car parking space as we're paranoid about hitting other cars, it's a lease though, I wonder what the cost would be to add it. £3400 ÷ 36 is £94 a month which is too much imo, but if it ended up being £30 (with the lease company taking some of the cost as additional resell value) we'd probably go for it.

I think it's a miniscule minority of people for whom summon will do that with any consistency in the UK. I'm another who's tried it on and off over 18 months and only rarely got it to work. However it does seem to be fundamentally a software/regulation issue, because it genuinely seems to work in the USA in scenarios far more difficult than just a roll into/out of a parking space.

Phantom braking, crap wipers and AP in the rain however, I'm skeptical as to whether our issues there can be solved without some hardware change as well.

For anyone that has been waiting for it, EAP is back.

In the upgrades menu in the app (or website presumably), £3400 for:
  • Nav on Auto pilot
  • Auto lane change
  • Auto park
  • Summon
The first 2 here are, I have to admit, tempting me. Really I'd probably want to know more about how FSD is going to pan out - are the relevent improvements from it going to make their way to EAP and AP? Or if I get EAP does it's capabilities peak soon on the current code base? Because for £3k I'd probably want to know I was definitely getting the improved software for handling Nav and lane change.

If you do road trips, get EAP.

It's not going to evolve to FSD, but you can upgrade to FSD in the future.

Given on paper EAP does that vast majority of what FSD currently offers in the UK, it is half tempting...

How is "Nav on Auto pilot" and "Auto lane change" on most dual carriageways and 2 lane motorways? (Being up in Scotland that's more important to me than 3+ lane motorways)

For me, auto lane change I do use a fair bit, but I drive a lot on motorways at less busy times. You should look up how European regs define the time periods within a manoeuvre, which make the process unnaturally slow, so it's basically unusable in any traffic for that reason. Plus there's the tendency to abort if there's a lorry in the lane to the left of the one you want to move left into. TBH if the shift from AP to a manual lane change and back to AP was more natural and free of bing bongs I probably wouldn't use auto lane change until they speed it up.

NoA, which really just adds motorway junctions, is for me an application for the same system which has more limited use. Although it's essentially the same thing as auto lane change I don't think it's at all "useful" in its current form. So many junctions have different reasons it doesn't really work. Also, it takes predefined speeds like a sudden slow to 60, which is very situation dependent so can be unexpected and unnatural.

• Helpful
Reactions: DenkiJidousha

It’s crap! Seriously pretty much anything else you can think of buying for £3400 will be more useful or fun.

Thanks - I've turned on the autosteer beta, and will try that on the dual carriageway before spending any money. After all, I may hate the feel of the car steering itself.

Auto steer actually works very well. But the constant nagging to hold the wheel can be irritating. Especially if you hold it properly with 2 hands, as it then often thinks you are not holding the wheel. It actually rewards bad practice like holding with one hand at the bottom. But the auto steering itself works. It just needs a better way of detecting that you are holding the wheel. Having to actually load the steering up slightly kind of defeats the point.

Auto lane change, when not on a motorway, is a bit of a mystery. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it doesn't due to user error. Unfortunately, where it decides to work seems to change from release to release.

I would hope that you are OK with it on two lane motorways, but for major dual carriageways, threat it as a bonus if it works.

As for NoA. Obviously its suggestions need to be confirmed, so doesn't really add anything that auto lane changes doesn't - some of its recommendations can be, shall we say, a little baffling. It does however allow on and off ramp without confirmation, but it always indicates for the off ramp far too late, and certainly until recently (I have not tried since at least early November) if you manage an off ramp without having to change your pants, its a bonus. As for on ramps, they remain a total mystery to me. Both I would say are only for the adventurous when no one else is in the car and no other vehicles in the vicinity.

But when things do work, ie limiting it to auto lane change on motorway, its magical. Except as above hints, for the nags.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I'll confess, I'm a bit jealous. EAP was made available again shortly after I purchased my M3 back in July of last year but only for 12 days and I spent too long thinking about it and missed my chance. I truly hope that bringing it back in Europe and the UK is a sign that it will return here in North America as well.

Reactions: Durzel
Auto lane change, when not on a motorway, is a bit of a mystery. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it doesn't due to user error. Unfortunately, where it decides to work seems to change from release to release.

I agree it is odd, there are many dual lane roads near me (mainly in towns) , where auto lane change never works. On some major A roads and all motorways I've used it is fine.

I keep hoping that some of this is a mapping issue that it will get updated, but as we know, Tesla maps have not been updated for well over a year now....having said that, I think I remember reading somewhere that auto lane change in UK is prohibited on any roads that allow bicycles.... or maybe I was imagining it?

Other NOA issues for me:

- the need to tug the wheel to confirm in control before a change is activated (sometimes I'm too heavy handed and it disengages)
- the UNECE delay between indicating and lane change is very annoying, sometimes I don't use it as know the delay will cause an abort.
- because of the UNECE delay, you don't know whether it knows you are in control and will activate lane change, so I sometimes continually nudge the wheel (some light indicator or "ping" would be welcome here).
- On a three lane stretch, lane changes whilst overtaking lorries in the slow lane also cause confusion and refused/aborted changes - it confuses which lane the lorry is in and freaks out, always.

hoping some of the Driving on city streets code will filter in the background to UK/EU to resolve some of this, and that UNECE will meet more regularly and actually allow innovation.

Pleased I have it though - I just love this kind of thing!

When you folks talking about phantom braking, are you talking about a noticeable ‘stomp’ on the brake pedal? I have had that a fair few times on regular roads but never on the motorway.

HOWEVER...

What I do notice on nearly every trip where I’m on the motorway is that the car sometimes refuses to overtake cars in the slow lane - just like how it won’t undertake cars in the faster lanes.

I’ve put this down to the UK/RHD-based driving models taking as much training data from the US/LHD-based datasets as Tesla deem suitable, and it sometimes getting confused.

I was one of the muppets (no offence to fellow muppets) who put money into buying FSD instead of putting the then £5k into Tesla stock. No update the car’s received since August ‘19 has fixed this.

Also, my tuppence on the auto lane change is that it’s not worth it. There’s really nothing auto about it (at least here, yet) - all it does is chime and ask you to indicate, then it moves as long as it can do so within ~5s. I will say this though, the responsiveness of that indicator press to action is MUCH greater since one of the summer (IIRC) updates. It can still be over cautious though and needs manual intervention about 20% of the time.

• Love
Reactions: Avendit and M3noob
If NoA only works on motorways what’s the point of it? I don’t get it. Sat Nav tells you what junction to come off at (if you didn’t already know). If it’s just to take you onto the slip road. Not paying for a gimmick (that by all accounts doesn’t work very well).

I am not sure of anyone else's experience but, on mine, Summon does not work. You can hear it trying to work, sometimes you can get it to reverse three feet or so, but then it stops. My neighbour loves the fact it doesn't work, in fact he has told the whole village. I will never again try to demonstrate it (show off) to anyone.

You have to keep your finger on the button and stay close to the car.

I was one of the muppets (no offence to fellow muppets) who put money into buying FSD instead of putting the then £5k into Tesla stock. No update the car’s received since August ‘19 has fixed this.

I admire your honesty, lol!

I remember just before the Model 3 was launched in the UK and all the discussions about whether or not to buy FSD. So many Tesla "noobs" (as my 11 year old daughter would call them) simply refused to listen to those who had already experienced so-called "FSD" in the S/X models.

I am still massively kicking myself for not buying Tesla stock last year though! I was all set to buy in at $250 (before the share split), but had trouble purchasing the stock through my shitty HSBC invest account and didn't get around to sorting it out or opening a better share dealing account elsewhere. I really should have made the effort. Ah well, there's always Rivian or Nio lol!

It shouldn't be forgotten, the benefit gained from purchasing upgrades can also be measured relative to the owners personal circumstances, ownership route, enjoyment received and brand 'buy'in'. For me, I purchased FSD when I bought my M3P in Sept'19. This was after dropping a £2k deposit back in 2016 - and then furiously saving during the next 3 years, so I was fortunate enough to make a full cash purchase. I don't consider myself a 'muppet' for purchasing FSD, and nor should anyone else if they can reasonably justify the £ investment, are aware of its limitations and are not only comparing it to a 'cost/value' measure. Despite the faults and constraints of FSD/EAP (most of which in the UK are due to UNECE, not Tesla), I'm constantly amazed by the cars capabilities, more so when I see improvements via updates. Is FSD/EAP worth the money if only considering the cost to purchase? maybe not - but worth is also measured by more personal, less tangible benefits; all of which have made FSD an enjoyable and worthwhile upgrade for me.

Last edited: