Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP [enhanced autopilot] is back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shouldn't be forgotten, the benefit gained from purchasing upgrades can also be measured relative to the owners personal circumstances, ownership route, enjoyment received and brand 'buy'in'. For me, I purchased FSD when I bought my M3P in Sept'19. This was after dropping a £2k deposit back in 2016 - and then furiously saving during the next 3 years, so I was fortunate enough to make a full cash purchase. I don't consider myself a 'muppet' for purchasing FSD, and nor should anyone else if they can reasonably justify the £ investment, are aware of its limitations and are not only comparing it to a 'cost/value' measure. Despite the faults and constraints of FSD/EAP (most of which in the UK are due to UNECE, not Tesla), I'm constantly amazed by the cars capabilities, more so when I see improvements via updates. Is FSD/EAP worth the money if only considering the cost to purchase? maybe not - but worth is also measured by more personal, less tangible benefits; all of which have made FSD an enjoyable and worthwhile upgrade for me.

This for me too. If I was buying a car today I probably would pay the £3400 for lane change. It's personal. It'd be expensive for what it is, of course, but I like it, my use case suits it, and I would expect to have the car for 100k miles. So I would make that extravagant purchase. And there should be improvements over time too of course.

But I'd be doing it eyes wide open. I wouldn't advise others to make the same purchase, I'd seek to open their eyes to the pros and cons.

It shouldn't be forgotten, the benefit gained from purchasing upgrades can also be measured relative to the owners personal circumstances, ownership route, enjoyment received and brand 'buy'in'. For me, I purchased FSD when I bought my M3P in Sept'19. This was after dropping a £2k deposit back in 2016 - and then furiously saving during the next 3 years, so I was fortunate enough to make a full cash purchase. I don't consider myself a 'muppet' for purchasing FSD, and nor should anyone else if they can reasonably justify the £ investment, are aware of its limitations and are not only comparing it to a 'cost/value' measure. Despite the faults and constraints of FSD/EAP (most of which in the UK are due to UNECE, not Tesla), I'm constantly amazed by the cars capabilities, more so when I see improvements via updates. Is FSD/EAP worth the money if only considering the cost to purchase? maybe not - but worth is also measured by more personal, less tangible benefits; all of which have made FSD an enjoyable and worthwhile upgrade for me.

FSD is a lot of money for what it actually does. The opportunity cost is simply too high for me. I did purchase EAP with my first Tesla because there was no standard AP at that time. But if I went back in time I would have saved the cash and managed without any AP. At least now you get AP for free, which is fine for me.

I remember just before the Model 3 was launched in the UK and all the discussions about whether or not to buy FSD. So many Tesla "noobs" (as my 11 year old daughter would call them) simply refused to listen to those who had already experienced so-called "FSD" in the S/X models.

Also worth remembering that when Model 3 was first launched, FSD was iirc £4900 (£4800?).

Many people when discussing FSD and its worth were possibly not aware of the, by then, discontinued EAP option, so treated EAP and FSD as an atomic unit. At the time the Model 3 launched in the UK, EAP was a very highly regarded option that many people were happy to pay for. It may be fair to say that EAP on HW3 is currently a retrograde step to earlier options, or at least earlier options before they were knobbled by the release that bought in UN/ECE r79 to earlier vehicles in 2019. So at point that Model 3 became available to order in UK, everything was looking rosy for EAP even if the FSD part was some time off.

Now EAP is back on the menu. for those that did get the £4900 option, the FSD part worked out at a £1500 upsell, so comparable with the other available options that had no tangible benefit other than satisfying a personal preference.

Unfortunately the £4900 was soon upped to £5800 which many early purchasers were realigned with when the price of the vehicle was reduced by iirc £2500, but for many, an extra £900 for FSD when they were just handed a £2500 discount was a tradeoff worth taking. Alas, at £6800 and according to EM, destined to rise (US have had 2 price rises that UK have not yet had), the cost of FSD over EAP is, at least for short term purchases, probably something where little value is to be had. But EAP is I think still a good compromise for those that use their vehicles in its operational domain, especially as it is only a matter of time before a promised revision to UN/ECE r79 is published that relaxes many of the issues that cause most of the operational issues that beset EAP in its current form.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R
Also worth remembering that when Model 3 was first launched, FSD was iirc £4900 (£4800?).

Many people when discussing FSD and its worth were possibly not aware of the, by then, discontinued EAP option, so treated EAP and FSD as an atomic unit. At the time the Model 3 launched in the UK, EAP was a very highly regarded option that many people were happy to pay for. It may be fair to say that EAP on HW3 is currently a retrograde step to earlier options, or at least earlier options before they were knobbled by the release that bought in UN/ECE r79 to earlier vehicles in 2019. So at point that Model 3 became available to order in UK, everything was looking rosy for EAP even if the FSD part was some time off.

Now EAP is back on the menu. for those that did get the £4900 option, the FSD part worked out at a £1500 upsell, so comparable with the other available options that had no tangible benefit other than satisfying a personal preference.

Unfortunately the £4900 was soon upped to £5800 which many early purchasers were realigned with when the price of the vehicle was reduced by iirc £2500, but for many, an extra £900 for FSD when they were just handed a £2500 discount was a tradeoff worth taking. Alas, at £6800 and according to EM, destined to rise (US have had 2 price rises that UK have not yet had), the cost of FSD over EAP is, at least for short term purchases, probably something where little value is to be had. But EAP is I think still a good compromise for those that use their vehicles in its operational domain, especially as it is only a matter of time before a promised revision to UN/ECE r79 is published that relaxes many of the issues that cause most of the operational issues that beset EAP in its current form.

As an EAP owner since early 2018 in my MX I was never overly impressed. There were times during that first year when it was positively dangerous. Plus it didn’t work at all on many major dual carriageways. Then it did get a bit better, but is now pretty dysfunctional again.

Once AP became free I never had any intention of paying for either EAP or FSD again. I can’t tell any difference between EAP and FSD, so EAP is no doubt better value, if you can call it that! I had a reservation for a Model 3 and didn’t even think about ordering it with FSD. At the time I think a lot of people were just ticking the box, believing the hype and FOMO without knowing.

Anyway I’m totally over the whole FSD thing now. I have the free trial in my M3 and it isn’t performing any better than EAP in my MX. I’m not going to miss it later on. For something that is supposed to reduce driver fatigue it causes a lot of frustration that you simply don’t have without. Changing lanes manually is actually a lot less effort and works every time!

• Helpful
Reactions: H Mak
I’m kind of tempted, as I’m planning to drive most of the way to work on the occasions I go in once we are allowed back, but £3.4K is a lot of money in one lump and I think they are going to move to a SaaS model which is likely to be much more cash-flow effective.

FSD is apparently going to go on subscription “soon”, but I presume they would need to solve the issue of lease cars not having access, or it being free (I think that’s the case with Premium Connectivity?)

I also don’t think FSD subscription will be particularly cheap. I’d be surprised if it was less than £150 a month given the full price of FSD, and the fact that Elon has said that buying outright “would be cheaper”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the FSD subscription is only offered in markets where the full FSD has been (or is soon to be) released i.e. what is currently in the FSD beta in the US. This could explain why EAP is being offered again in Europe and China but not the US.

Guys, just remember what you are actually paying for here amounts to auto-lane change and I promise you it is sluggish and flaky. On a busy road you will get sliced up like a Christmas turkey. On an empty road it works maybe 90% of the time, but everything happens in slow motion. Honestly it’s less hassle and definitely less frustrating to make your own lane changes. You have your hands on the wheel anyway and you’ve done it a million times before.

Just for good measure auto-lane change isn’t fully automatic with Nav on AP. You have to manually confirm with your indicators every time. The only time it works automatically is exiting a motorway and it does that very badly - like someone who nearly missed their exit, signalling at the last second and moving across very late. The suggestions it makes for changing lanes are poor too.

FSD is apparently going to go on subscription “soon”, but I presume they would need to solve the issue of lease cars not having access, or it being free (I think that’s the case with Premium Connectivity?)

I also don’t think FSD subscription will be particularly cheap. I’d be surprised if it was less than £150 a month given the full price of FSD, and the fact that Elon has said that buying outright “would be cheaper”.

This will be interesting. I reckon they might think twice about this because I would guess that many people will try it for a month and then realise it isn’t very good. A bit like the free trial I have at the moment. All it has done is confirm that FSD is stil rubbish.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Upgrades do not stay with the vehicle when sold on (no resale value) and do not stay with the user account.

Yep. Thats been explained and should not affect vehicles where there is a legitimately purchased version of FSD in the car - the ones removed were either removed in error (and later reinstated) or confusion at point of second hand sale as having FSD included but had not been paid for (ie a trial or mis configuration) or simply the FSD computer being interpreted either by seller or purchaser as it including FSD option.

How much FSD is valued at on sale/trade in is a different matter - EM's view seems to differ from some other peoples experiences.

Thank you, but this side of the pond it does not work.

Summon used to work well for me, however a few months ago it completely stopped working (presumably after a firmware update). Now when trying to use summon it initiates (mirrors fold, hazards start, brakes release etc.) and then immediately aborts with a 'connection error' in the app. It has baffled the Service Center technicians who also looked into it and couldn't get it to work either. Apparently they found the MCU(1) sends an abort signal when summon starts as the CPU is running at 100% and can't process the manoeuvre. I'm told it will be fixed in some unspecified future firmware update.