Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP for $5100 - are you buying it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20200920-094513_Tesla.jpg

EAP is basically what older cars without HW3 and MCU2 can do.
No traffic signs, and no stopping at traffic lights (which is getting pretty good now) and no City AP when this is released.
NOA (included in EAP) is also becoming fairly reliable on Freeways.

I set AP/FSD going on both the old S100D (effectively just EAP until she gets her HW3 transplant), and the P3D- as soon as I leave our driveway and love being part of the betta testing and watching the evolution of the cars.

Of course you still have to concentrate on obstacles, but the boring bits of keeping in lane and keeping to the speed limits are sorted (except where the nav data has the wrong speed limits. The old S85 used to recognise speed limits with MobileEye, but we are promised the Tesla version soon).

For me it has definitely been worth it, and I bought EAP/FSD when it was cheaper. These prices will probably continue to increase.

Last edited:
Suggestions based on emails from the US that this is a limited time offer to 30 SEP (so all about boosting Q3 profit).

Personally I'm still in two minds - but only because TACC and Lane Keeping/ Basic Autopilot is so good.

On a highway it's not exactly difficult to change lanes yourself then double stalk.
Hard to justify $5k for a few seconds of automation.

I just can't see Tesla being able to charge any more for these features.

Now if FSD becomes complete, and gets regulatory approval you still can't use your car as rideshare without other software and infrastructure.

If it happens I'd expect Tesla to offer a monthly 'TeslUber' subscription (having bought Uber on the cheap) that will integrate the car with a rideshare system, and provide access to a network of manned/robotic superchargers where someone will plugin your car and clean the car.

Bought it for my Model 3, used NoA and Auto Lane change coming home from a road trip. Was pretty amazing to have the car navigate around slowed cars without disengaging. Lane change on non NoA roads is also pretty amazing since I use AutoPilot a lot on city streets.
Tried AutoPark, works but doubt I would use. Haven’t done smart summon yet to comment on that but I have heard it is still a gimmick at the moment.

Suggestions based on emails from the US that this is a limited time offer to 30 SEP (so all about boosting Q3 profit).

Personally I'm still in two minds - but only because TACC and Lane Keeping/ Basic Autopilot is so good.

On a highway it's not exactly difficult to change lanes yourself then double stalk.

Now if FSD becomes complete, and gets regulatory approval you still can't use your car as rideshare without other software and infrastructure.

If it happens I'd expect Tesla to offer a monthly 'TeslUber' subscription (having bought Uber on the cheap) that will integrate the car with a rideshare system, and provide access to a network of manned/robotic superchargers where someone will plugin your car and clean the car.
Do you expect to still own your current car when FSD becomes complete and has regulatory approval in Australia?

Reactions: Wol747
I have a hunch that we're going to see a FSD pricing structure change soon. Possibly by the end of the year, or roughly timed with the release of the AP/FSD software rewrite. As others have suggested, this EAP option is a push for end of quarter profit, but I also think it's a sign of changes to come. I guess it will go to some kind of subscription basis soon, like Musk has mentioned before.

I purchased autopilot for $8000-6000 can't remember but it wasn't cheap. What can’t it actually do in Australia that one would expect it can after youtubein? Does NOA go round roundabouts? Does summon allow the car to be taken out of the garage without a driver? I have used auto park and it’s no biggie but the other 2 if actually decent it could be worth it? There’s probably YouTube videos where it shows it in full swing picking me up in the car park but that’s not going to happen in Australia.

Not totally clear from the detail.

Neither FSD or EA can currently do roundabouts. Not clear if roundabouts are treated as a FSD only feature or not (they aren't used as much in the US on B roads).

Basic Summon allows easy forward/reverse. The Autosummon is seemingly hit and miss.
Parallel parking looks OK, but reverse parking again hit/miss

• Informative
Reactions: Petergarrett38
Is this "offer" only an Australian thing? I'm wondering if they are realising that the FSD package offered in Australia for over 10k is allot of money for very little improvement / advancement. A comment from the sales people when I bought my M3 was they thought it (10k
FSD) didn't add much functionality to the car "at the moment" in Australia.

My son is legally blind and if this robot on wheels could actually drive him around, then the 10k is cheap, 20-30K I would pay for his independence, But at this stage of development it's not IMO worth more than about 2k as corndog suggested...and I don't have 10k let alone 5k sitting around for a bet.

Is this "offer" only an Australian thing? I'm wondering if they are realising that the FSD package offered in Australia for over 10k is allot of money for very little improvement / advancement. A comment from the sales people when I bought my M3 was they thought it (10k
FSD) didn't add much functionality to the car "at the moment" in Australia.

My son is legally blind and if this robot on wheels could actually drive him around, then the 10k is cheap, 20-30K I would pay for his independence, But at this stage of development it's not IMO worth more than about 2k as corndog suggested...and I don't have 10k let alone 5k sitting around for a bet.
It has also been reported on offer in both North America and Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: matsoutback