Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP & FSD changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2017 AP2.0 MS with EAP.

Does anyone with a similar age car remember the cost to upgrade to FSD after purchase if you already have EAP? I also had the £1900 offer, it's now gone up to £4900.

However I seem to recall the upgrade was cheaper than that at time of purchase, which they said would be honoured. I intend to keep my MS for some time, despite having a MX Performance with HW3 currently somewhere in the Atlantic on it's way to Tilberg.

I'd like to upgrade my MPU1 and AP2 to keep pace with the latest MS and MX updates (although probably not M3 by the looks of things). However I'm loathed to spend £4900 and the hint that from May this will go up again in price may well push me to purchase. So I'm keen to check whether anyone else has evidence of the cost it used to be?

I have the same aged car and prior to the early March nonsense the FSD was £4900. It went briefly to £2900 then down to £1900 before going back to £4900. If you buy it you will get the processor upgrade, but not an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. You also won't get an upgrade to AP2.5 unless that's required for FSD features. Tesla were economical with the truth when AP2.5 came in, saying it was for redundancy. This is not the whole truth as the cameras are different - hence why AP2 cars don't get dashcam or sentry mode.

I've got a 2017 AP2.0 MS with EAP.

Does anyone with a similar age car remember the cost to upgrade to FSD after purchase if you already have EAP? I also had the £1900 offer, it's now gone up to £4900.

However I seem to recall the upgrade was cheaper than that at time of purchase, which they said would be honoured. I intend to keep my MS for some time, despite having a MX Performance with HW3 currently somewhere in the Atlantic on it's way to Tilberg.

I'd like to upgrade my MPU1 and AP2 to keep pace with the latest MS and MX updates (although probably not M3 by the looks of things). However I'm loathed to spend £4900 and the hint that from May this will go up again in price may well push me to purchase. So I'm keen to check whether anyone else has evidence of the cost it used to be?

At the time of ordering my AP2.0 MX (Nov 2016 order, built in Feb 2017 and delivered in May 2017) the price of FSD if purchased after delivery was £3,700. ( I paid £4,600 for EAP and this did vary a bit at the end 2016/ beginning of 2017. ) I took screen grabs of the design studio at time of placing my order. I'm sure there is probably something in the contract of sale to allow them to update the price though as it would be naive of them not to allow the price to be updated. In my experience, Tesla are certainly not naive when it comes to wringing the customer for as much money as possible.

At the time of ordering my AP2.0 MX (Nov 2016 order, built in Feb 2017 and delivered in May 2017) the price of FSD if purchased after delivery was £3,700. ( I paid £4,600 for EAP and this did vary a bit at the end 2016/ beginning of 2017. ) I took screen grabs of the design studio at time of placing my order. I'm sure there is probably something in the contract of sale to allow them to update the price though as it would be naive of them not to allow the price to be updated. In my experience, Tesla are certainly not naive when it comes to wringing the customer for as much money as possible.

Thanks really helpful. I seem to remember that it was between £3k and £4k so that rings true with me.

In my experience, Tesla are certainly not naive when it comes to wringing the customer for as much money as possible.

Also plenty of cases where Tesla have honoured price promises ... and more. For example, a price drop (of an option) shortly after launch was accompanied by refund for all customers who had bought at the higher price. But I agree, buying something at a promised future-price (after purchase) is one thing, whereas buying anything off the price list might well be a completely different figure tomorrow.

My view is that where a competitor encroaches Tesla has reacted. I do wonder if they held the "uncorked" rollout (0-60 dropped from 5-ish to 4-ish for the whole fleet) until competitors looked like they were about to launch faster models, prices have dropped on some options as a reaction, and I think Tesla's next move will be to replace motors on MS/MX to gain 10% more range, and add a 120kWh battery option which, presumably, the 90kWh competitors are in no position to compete against.

I think Tesla's next move will be to replace motors on MS/MX to gain 10% more range, and add a 120kWh battery option which, presumably, the 90kWh competitors are in no position to compete against.

You’re close :) - permanent magnetic at the front and induction at the rear plus a few other goodies but same size battery pack:

The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

And a free ludicrous upgrade for the loyal customers :D.. like you....;)

And a free ludicrous upgrade for the loyal customers

So ... when the price dropped massively I was tempted to chop mine in ... except what I really wanted was more range.

Price went back up but, in effect, it hasn't as most likely buyers?? are existing punters, so they all get a $20K discount. So basically the recent special offer price is back again.

I'm loath to buy if bigger battery is imminent ... although Tesla managed to get a bunch of MotorTrend Journos 400 miles (359 mile journey at 65-70 MPH, 83 kWh used, 11 percent of the battery remaining = 41 more miles) in one with the new Magnets ... I'd be well happy with that now I think about it ...

Just had a look at ABRP ... he's been busy, all the new options already available :)

My trip to Oxford to visit client is my current pinch-point. The Oxford Supercharger is in the wrong place for me ... so my current (as per ABRP) is:

Divert to Newport Pagnell on way home, adding 15 miles. Charge from 23% to 47%, arrive home @ 10%. Predicted wH/mile = 324 Journey time 4h52m

ABRP says the 2019 Long Range will get there and back without recharging, arrive home @ 10%. Save 15 miles, journey time 4h38m. I'm guessing this is just the same old S100D, now called "long range" Consumption 324 Wh/mile

ABRP also has 2019 Upgrade LR Beta, I presume that is the new motors ... same journey time, no stops, but gets me home with 25% left Consumption 286 Wh/mile :)

I'm loath to buy if bigger battery is imminent .

I'm not convinced there is a bigger battery round the corner. They've done enough with the better motors and upping the charging speeds to knock what little competition there is for six again IMO.

However I do think there will be more coming in Q3/4 in the way of a refresh - or continuous improvement as they like to call it. Maybe a slightly remodelled rear to allow for a CCS and maybe a few tweaks in the cabin? Those demand levers will need a yankin' I reckon.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
allow for a CCS

That would be a nice thing to have for next 3 years ownership ... "charge anywhere" ...

I should go back and find those threads where the Tesla Haters were saying that CCS was coming, would be everywhere, and Tesla owners would be stuck with their proprietary rapid charging ... whereas in fact what has happened is that Tesla CCS M3 got access to all the existing CCS chargers over night, whilst Other Brands are waiting for slow rollout of Rapid CCS

Yeah, would be annoying to miss out on that update.

You may be right about batteries ... the M3 battery is a bottleneck in production, so sticking with existing MS / MX cells makes more sense - so long as Elon doesn't actually fall out with Panasonic as the journalists are trying to have me believe. And 400 mile range, with careful driving, has got to be enough for me

I'm not convinced there is a bigger battery round the corner. They've done enough with the better motors and upping the charging speeds to knock what little competition there is for six again IMO.

However I do think there will be more coming in Q3/4 in the way of a refresh - or continuous improvement as they like to call it. Maybe a slightly remodelled rear to allow for a CCS and maybe a few tweaks in the cabin? Those demand levers will need a yankin' I reckon.
I do hope so as I placed an order at the end of last month (a day before the 3% "price hike") for an MX100D and now find out about the +10% range and slightly improved performance :( At least I should be getting HW3.0. I configured the exact the same spec today and it comes out at £1.5k more which I'd happily pay for these changes. Too bad as it seems to have left the factory for shipping.

And a free ludicrous upgrade for the loyal customers .. like you

I wish I knew if the Crystal Ball I have is reliable ... or made form Tesla parts :)

What chance I hold out for CCS charger upgrade and Elon has NOT ditched the Ludicrous freebie upgrade by then?

I was tactful last night ... "Range is up to 370 miles, you could get to Oxford and back now ... and Elon said we could have a $20,000 discount ... I think it would be nice to wait for the new CCS charger though ... so we ought to plan to replace towards the end of the year"

"OK"

OK? Hmmm ... normally I liberally interpret that as OK to put a deposit down ... although she now questions my "Couldn't afford not to have it" justification ...

I wouldn’t rule out a new battery. Elon said there is a new battery coming next year which will be capable of 1million miles.

It’s possible that this comes at a cost to range but I’d suspect they will have a new set of packs which are 1 million miles rated and extra range, just makes sense.

At that point thought, they will be so far ahead of others in terms of range that I’m not sure they will ever catchup. I mean I’m not even sure they will now.

400+mile MS must be on the cards for next year.

I wouldn’t rule out a new battery. Elon said there is a new battery coming next year which will be capable of 1million miles.

Panasonic look like they are shaping up to discontinue production of current 18650 Model-S/X batteries (in Japan) to 2170 cells s used in Model-3. Tesla is battery-constrained on 2170 cells for model-3 so not sure they are in a rush to change Model-S/X ... but maybe the writing is on the wall?

400+mile MS must be on the cards for next year.

That, i.e. Real-world 400 mile range, might even be possible now. Tesla took some Motortrend Journos from San Francisco to Los Angeles "... 65 and 70 mph [don't know if there was traffic] ... 359 miles ... average 58MPH ... with 83 kWh used, we had 11 percent of the battery remaining—which equates to 41 more miles at the rate I was going. Right at 400 miles if you add it up"

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2019/exclusive-2019-tesla-model-s-review/

Just tried ABRP on my York journey (Props as it already has "2019 MS LR (Beta)"). Currently 50 minutes Supercharging. New MS would be 23 minutes, and once V2 Superchargers upgrade to 200kW that's going to fall to maybe 15 minutes. What's not to like :)

Who’d buy an etron or ipace now

Audi and Jag owners ? :rolleyes:

The iPace forums make depressing reading ... (this one too, probably, for non-Tesla owners) anyone who mentions a Tesla is hounded out. Unbelievable workarounds to make sure not afflicted by software bugs. They seem to be chuffed when they get 70-80kW Rapid Charging (car supposed to handle 100kW but I haven't seen anyone succeed). Significant LAG on screen, need to allow it to fully boot (couple of minutes) before driving to make sure nothing untoward happens - although, in fairness, as a consequence iPace seems to have ZERO parasitic loss. Can only charge to 100% (not a real 100% but even so limited regen), no scheduled charging based on GPS, the list goes on ...

Plenty of talk about which-wheels, which-seat-stitching, as you might expect, and fair enough. That community mostly thinks that Tesla is junk, which is clearly not true, although I fully understand that styling is down to personal choice - everyone in the iPace forums hate the eTron as well ...

here's an example FIRST POST in a length thread about inadvertent reverse full-power incident:

iPace01.jpg