Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP & FSD changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bigger question for me is.....which of these features will ACTUALLY be available in the UK. Already we don't have feature parity with the US. They have functions such as navigation on autopilot, summon using the keyfob, to name but two, and we do not. I am guessing due to our laws.

So we pay more than the US for less usable functions. From what I can tell, AP2.X in the UK hasn't moved on from AP1 in terms of actual live usable functions.

Have you got 2019.5.14 yet?

I got it last week and while the Autopilot/TACC has annoying "phantom braking", it does look like they are introducing to the UK some of the features necessary for Navigate on Autopilot.

See my post here:
Software Update 2019.5.x

and a reply:
Software Update 2019.5.x
No. I'm on Ap1 so not expecting any upgrades. But I was seriously considering switching my car to a newer ap2 but not seen anything to convince me to spend the extra yet. Your post has just convinced me to stick to what I have.

• Funny
Reactions: squarepeg77
Have you got 2019.5.14 yet?

I got it last week and while the Autopilot/TACC has annoying "phantom braking", it does look like they are introducing to the UK some of the features necessary for Navigate on Autopilot.

See my post here:
Software Update 2019.5.x

and a reply:
Software Update 2019.5.x

I just upgraded to 2019.5.14 in the last few days.

Phantom braking is indeed pretty annoying, especially since it was more or less a non-issue in the previous release.

I do like the new lane change feature without having to fully engage the indicator. But I wish it wasn't so hesitant in getting started with the manoeuvre. It still makes you look like a retard if someone is waiting for you to move over! Also still has an annoying habit of occasionally abandoning the lane change, again making you look dumb! I know it's being conservative here, but really I'm only using it to avoid the bing-bong-bong-bing every time I want to switch lanes. I'd rather it just did what I ask without so much thinking.

I've also noticed that Autosteer is now much better at tracking A-roads with significant bends at a fair pace. It coped with a stretch of road that previously was simply not possible without manual override. But I didn't test that particular road on the last release, so not sure if this is related specifically to 2019.5.14? But it's definitely a lot better than it was a few months ago.

No way am I paying anything for FSD at this stage! I really don't see the attraction of the features it adds for the money. Maybe in a couple of years it will be worth it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Just checked mine and as above EAP £1900 and FSD £4800
Can't make my mind up which one to get .
Bargain compared to the £4700 they wanted before and glad I didn't spend £10700 for FSD as I'd be pissed off right now.
Should I wait a while longer or might prices go back up?
Tempted to get EAP at £1900 but I don't really use it day to day .but feel my car should have it as everyone asks if I've got it.

Just checked mine and as above EAP £1900 and FSD £4800
Can't make my mind up which one to get .
Bargain compared to the £4700 they wanted before and glad I didn't spend £10700 for FSD as I'd be pissed off right now.
Should I wait a while longer or might prices go back up?
Tempted to get EAP at £1900 but I don't really use it day to day .but feel my car should have it as everyone asks if I've got it.
Prices go up this weekend I believe.

Tempted to get EAP at £1900 but I don't really use it day to day

AP has probably prevent an accident for me (glanced at dashboard to change something just as traffic slowed up ahead, AP put the brakes no. Not emergency, but I might have run into car in front otherwise). Sorting out even a minor bump is probably going to cost me £1,900 aggravation-factor. AP might save a far more serious incident ...

Hugely less stress on the driver on long (motorway) journeys. I do a lot of them so for me the decision is easy, but even if you only do a few those will be less tiring, you will arrive more refreshed, and enjoy whatever you are doing at the far end / following day more.

But it was only £1,500 when I bought AP1 ...

I paid about £5k for EAP [2018] and honestly it’s worth it however the EAP I purchased has and does more than basic AP, not sure I would go for normal AP myself but it is a bit Nauru that some of EAP is now FSD and the price they have for it still feels off.

For me I’ve alteady paid £5k and they want another £2k from me for FSD but right now it gives me nothing I don’t have with EAP. If you don’t have anything I’d suggest you get what you can avoid as motorway/highway drivi is much safer as already noted it saves lives and accidents mine has saved my ass a couple times.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Seems that prices are indeed going back to normal on Monday 18th.musk says it was a mistake.
I think I will take the plunge for the £1900 AP deal.

I’ve thought long and hard and am almost certainly not going to go for it. I’m not going to keep my car beyond the end of my PCP 3/21 and don’t see it at all likely that:

1. I will see any feature improvements that are FSD before then. We don’t even have Nav on AP yet.
2. Even if I’m wrong in 1. above Tesla’s record in parts supply is poor and so the improved chip required won’t be available any time soon
3. £1,900 will make any tangible difference to the value of the car in 3/21

Consequently I’m going to keep the cash in the bank and use it towards the deposit on the next car.

Yes I suppose it depends if your keeping the car or not.
in my case I bought it and intend to keep it .i think it will make it easier to sell on with autopilot included when I decide to sell.
maybe even worth slightly more than a car without it.
I'm still considering at the moment.

Yes I suppose it depends if your keeping the car or not.
in my case I bought it and intend to keep it .i think it will make it easier to sell on with autopilot included when I decide to sell.
maybe even worth slightly more than a car without it.
I'm still considering at the moment.

I certainly think AP is worth having, less so FSD. However if you are intending to keep it then £1.9k to future proof it is probably worth it. I do think Tesla are masters of moving the goal posts and wouldn't be surprised to see a two tier FSD - those with AP2 getting less than AP2.5 cars. AP2.5 cars have an improved radar and colour cameras, which AP2 don't have. We've already seen the dashcam feature only going to AP2.5 cars, and the FSD/HW3 upgrade is only the procesor, not all the other changes that AP2.5 brought in - which were not made clear at the time and still aren't. It's thanks to the teardown guys that we get to find this stuff out.

<disbelief> having just been shafted by Tesla to the tune of appx £25K on the value of my P100D; went to check my account for FSD today as consolation and it's not even there. Prices supposedly back up on Monday. Called Tesla to discuss - 4 attempts - no answer; tried another site - will get sombody to call you back in 10 minutes - now 8 hours ago and nada</disbelief>

7+ years in business and screwing owners over with lunatic price changes, defective online account management and contacts that are either unavailable for hours or dont ring you back - this is what we are to expect?

I actually don't blame Elon one iota, he is the visionary maverick that Tesla and maybe the world needs, but the board who are supposed to manage the business in particular the sales and marketing side can only be described as flat out incompetent and imho should be replaced.

Does this company ever need some competition, and a figure on the board of equal stature to Shotwell.

who are supposed to manage the business

100% agree. let alone Board Level, I can't understand why a UK Manager is not able to solve all the UK problems - might still be difficult, out-of-their-control, to get enough parts, but "keeping customers well informed" rather than just parking owners cars out-back for a month etc. is easy along with creating a program to get enough service locations / personnel which is after all just the bleeding obvious. Reactive definitely wrong approach in rapid growth markets. Maybe someone higher up needs to take control over the back office computer systems - they keep reverting my email address to incorrect one, despite every-time telling me there is only one source and it is in sync with My Tesla, it most definitely is not AND even after Service Personnel correct it keeps getting reverted. It is of course inconceivable that, for weeks on end, Tesla people will believe "Parts arriving tomorrow" ... modern inventory systems will know exactly when they will be available ...

The service issues are solvable, and I cannot believe that the CEO would not be receptive to manager saying "This is the $hit we need to solve and this is the co$t, and this is the bad PR$ of not doing it" ... if Manager isn't saying that then fine one who will ...

Tesla cannot have known, and banked on, iPace and eTron being such disasters, strikes me to have been much more likely they would have taken 110% advantage of current-tech knowledge available that wasn't available way-back-then and produced a first-generation program that was a real threat ... 20% less range is just dire, and whilst I'm no fan of Tesla "audience beta testing" software approach, I most certainly do not want the 2-screens pigsty approach on iPace. What Tesla have done with in-car software and OTA is far better than anyone else (that I know of), so as I see it Tesla have been handed a lifeline by Competition, but that can only be a temporary time-extension. If Tesla sorts out weak-points, and manages to hang on to enough cash, I can only see them on exponential trajectory.

So we are where we are and ... I'm with Bjorn who commented, after his car had been in the shop for a couple of months waiting for some bits, and no loaner available, "Tesla still #1 choice" ...

I've got a 2017 AP2.0 MS with EAP.

Does anyone with a similar age car remember the cost to upgrade to FSD after purchase if you already have EAP? I also had the £1900 offer, it's now gone up to £4900.

However I seem to recall the upgrade was cheaper than that at time of purchase, which they said would be honoured. I intend to keep my MS for some time, despite having a MX Performance with HW3 currently somewhere in the Atlantic on it's way to Tilberg.

I'd like to upgrade my MPU1 and AP2 to keep pace with the latest MS and MX updates (although probably not M3 by the looks of things). However I'm loathed to spend £4900 and the hint that from May this will go up again in price may well push me to purchase. So I'm keen to check whether anyone else has evidence of the cost it used to be?